Results for Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033228 said:
You do realise Kelly hasn't been able to train for 3 months and has only been training for 2 weeks vs Wolfe and Lofton who have had no injury problems and have been training all along? Yes or No

Are we clear that the surface isn't the same at the combine and OU facility? Yes or no

I just don't get what your point is. Is Kelly the only player to ever run injured or get injured before the draft? Is he the first player to ever show up to workout and have plans changed on him?

You're making all sorts of excuses for him. From his injury, to the field, to the school, to his equipment, and so on.

If he runs again and doesn't run at least a 4.5, you do understand you'll look pretty silly for making every excuse in the book for him right?

It really doesn't matter, he ran poorly, his time is what it is. Could he run faster? Probably. But so could a lot of guys that ran slower times for whatever reason.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033232 said:
At the OU facility? Yes
Ok. Do you realize that Wolfe and Lofton ran faster times on the Everest Indoor Training Facility than they did at the Combine?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033235 said:
Ok. Do you realize that Wolfe and Lofton ran faster times on the Everest Indoor Training Facility than they did at the Combine?

Yes .

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033238 said:
Do you think that the Everest Indoor Training Facility is faster or slower than the turf at the Combine?

The combine surface, according to someone who has worked with turf for 27 years, is much faster.

So yes I believe the FieldTurf @ the combine is much faster than the SafePlay @ OU's facility.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033241 said:
So, you think that Wolfe and Lofton managed to run considerably faster on what you deem to be a much slower track?

Do you not see why the rest of us would think you're being a bit silly?

Its not what I deem it to be, its what it is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033244 said:
Its not what I deem it to be, its what it is.
Then why did Lofton and Wolfe run so much faster on it? Just a coincidence? Or could it possibly not be a faster track?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033245 said:
Then why did Lofton and Wolfe run so much faster on it? Just a coincidence? Or could it possibly not be a faster track?

Well we definetely know the combine is a faster surface.

I dont think its a coincidence either.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033251 said:
Well we definetely know the combine is a faster surface.

I dont think its a coincidence either.
We don't definitely know that. We do definitely know that players that run on the OU surface run faster times than they do on the Combine surface. I'll take that over some random nobody's assertions.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theogt;2031021 said:
No, everyone shouldn't get a chance to control every aspect of pre-draft workouts.

If he didn't want to run on it, he shouldn't have. Otherwise he has to live with the consequences.

I do agree with this, totally. If he didn't like the idea of running on that surface he could have simply told them he wasn't going to run on that cause it wasn't what he'd trained for and left it at that.

That would have been much better than posting bad times and throwing a fit afterwards.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2033409 said:
I do agree with this, totally. If he didn't like the idea of running on that surface he could have simply told them he wasn't going to run on that cause it wasn't what he'd trained for and left it at that.

That would have been much better than posting bad times and throwing a fit afterwards.

The problem is that because of his injury or lack of will to take part in other workout opportunities, this was pretty much his last open work out. He would have had to run or rely on personal workouts.

So if he had opted out, with as lame an excuse as, "This isn't what I practiced on.", it will pretty much have cemented the appearance that he was dodging workouts. Either way, his stock would have fallen.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Kelly's trainer, Chip Smith, said he was disappointed Kelly wasn't informed ahead of time that testing was going to be conducted on the field turf.

"Malcolm had been mentally prepared to run on the (AstroTurf), which a lot of universities do, so to change that when you walk in not knowing, I think there should've at least been a courtesy call to him to tell him they were going to change it,” said Smith, who has helped prepare more than 800 players for the draft over the years. "On a fast surface, he's probably a 4.4. We didn't even have the right shoes for him to run in. We had to make adjustments.”

Wow. This is exactly why I hate all this 2008 underwear olympics prep crap.

Anyone remember the story of Pete Hunter being worked out by our scout at Virginia Union? He had to use some ill-fitting shoes with a spike sticking through his foot, but he still worked out for us and was happy to do it.

Which means that even a guy dumb enough to order a Philly cheesesteak at a McDonalds drive-through window was smart enough to do whatever we asked because he was happy for the opportunity.

So quit being such a baby, Malcolm. Just shut up and run.