Results for Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
iceberg;2033160 said:
isn't that what we all do in here? far as i know none of us are a young/slow kid who just fell 3 rounds and lost millions he never had. *IF* i'm mistaken let me know but otherwise this entire thread, and most threads for that matter, we talk about it but have never been in that situation.

I think what he meant to say is its rediculous to see people sit on their high horse and act like the guy has no reason to feel upset.

Hes not a professional. Hes a amateur and he handled it like one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033163 said:
Of course it's not all the same. But apparently the scouts felt it was sufficiently similar to the Combine turf that they'd prefer him to run on it. If he'd ran a 4.60 on the astroturf, they would have juts adjusted him time by .1 seconds anyway.

But he may have ran a 4.4 on it. He may have ran a 4.5 on it.

If you add time to that it is still faster.

The turf is EXTREMELY slower than normal field turf.

The turf at Indy is known as a fast surface.

Plus this entire "add time" thing just tells me scouts think guys like Reggie Bush are actually 4.4 guys and not 4.3 guys. So everyone, in theory, is a tenth of a second slower.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033168 said:
But he may have ran a 4.4 on it. He may have ran a 4.5 on it.
Doubtful. At best he'd probably run in the mid to high 4.5s. And then they'd just add .1 to his time to put him back in the mid to high 4.6s.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033170 said:
Doubtful. At best he'd probably run in the mid to high 4.5s. And then they'd just add .1 to his time to put him back in the mid to high 4.6s.

Its not doubtful. Its not anything. Its all theory.

The only thing we have is a slow time on a very slow surface.

And like I said, every 4.5 guy in theory is a 4.6 guy.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033174 said:

And yet you just said he "may" have run a 4.4, but when someone suggests he might have run slower, then it's wrong to estimate his time.

You sure are going out of your way to make excuses for this kid, you would think the world is conspiring against Malcolm Kelly the way you're going on about it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033174 said:

It's not a slow surface. Other players have run fast times on it. It's just slow compared to AstroTurf, which no one runs on.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033176 said:
It's not a slow surface. Other players have run fast times on it. It's just slow compared to AstroTurf, which no one runs on.

Its slow compared to other field turfs as well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheCount;2033175 said:
And yet you just said he "may" have run a 4.4, but when someone suggests he might have run slower, then it's wrong to estimate his time.

You sure are going out of your way to make excuses for this kid, you would think the world is conspiring against Malcolm Kelly the way you're going on about it.

Read his post then read mine.

All I did was use one of his theories and threw another theory out to contradict it.

Its all theory.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033178 said:
Its slow compared to other field turfs as well.
Curtis Lofton

40 time at the Combine: 4.79

40 time on the Everest Indoor Training Facility (that Kelly ran on): 4.67

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
D.J. Wolfe

40 time at the Combine: 4.61

40 time on the Everest Indoor Training Facility (that Kelly ran on): 4.57

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You guys do know that they have been at speed camps between the combine and now right?

You guys do know Kelly hasn't trained hardly any because of a thigh tear right?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033186 said:
You guys do know that they have been at speed camps between the combine and now right?
Their pro day was two weeks after the Combine. They had two months to prepare for the Combine. I doubt Wolfe and Lofton increased their 40 times at their pro day because of 2 extra weeks of preparation. If so, that's some amazing 2 week preparation considering how slow that OU track is. :rolleyes:

You guys do know Kelly hasn't trained hardly any because of a thigh tear right?
So, now it's not that the field is slow (BECAUSE IT OBVIOUSLY ISN'T), but that he didn't have adequate time to prepare. Yet his thigh tear happened, what, 4 months ago?

This is pretty sad.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033190 said:
Their pro day was two weeks after the Combine. They had two months to prepare for the Combine. I doubt Wolfe and Lofton increased their 40 times at their pro day because of 2 extra weeks of preparation. If so, that's some amazing 2 week preparation considering how slow that OU track is. :rolleyes:

So, now it's not that the field is slow (BECAUSE IT OBVIOUSLY ISN'T), but that he didn't have adequate time to prepare. Yet his thigh tear happened, what, 4 months ago?

This is pretty sad.

It obviously is slow. Its a fact that its a slower surface.

Lofton and Wolfes conditions aren't the same as Kellys.

Reggie Smith ran a 4.65 - Any OU fans out there want to tell me DJ Wolfe is faster than Reggie Smith?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033196 said:
Lofton and Wolfes conditions aren't the same as Kellys.
It's an indoor facility. The weather was obviously not a factor. And it's the exact same surface.

Maybe. Just maybe, you've been wrong.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033198 said:
It's an indoor facility. The weather was obviously not a factor. And it's the exact same surface.

Maybe. Just maybe, you've been wrong.

Its not the exact same surface.

Its field turf. But its not the exact same kind of field turf.

You are still stuck on thinking its all the same stuff.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033201 said:
Its not the exact same surface.

Its field turf. But its not the exact same kind of field turf.

You are still stuck on thinking its all the same stuff.
Lofton and Wolfe ran at their pro day at the Everest Indoor Training Facility, on the same surface in the same facility that Kelly ran. Both Lofton and Wolfe ran faster there than they did at the Combine.

What don't you get?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In May 2005, FieldTurf installed a new permanent turf surface, replacing the Astro-Turf 12 that was used for 8 football seasons. This new product, replicating a natural grass surface, offers both the durability and cost benefits of synthetic fields. The patented silica sand and cryogenic rubber infill system is the biggest technical development that the sport surfacing industry has seen in the last twenty-five years. This exclusive infill provides superior safety, grass-like stability and better long-term resilience. Much preferred by players, the surface is softer and less abrasive than its predecessor; it is the surface of choice for five of the six domes in the National Football League. The Indianapolis Colts have also used FieldTurf in their Union Federal Football Center indoor practice facility since the 2003 season.

Originally Posted by The Profit
I have been selling artificial turf for 27 years, and there is a difference in speed from one surface to the next.

The artificial turf, inside the OU practice facility, is from a company called SafePlay. At one time, Barry Switzer was a spokesman for the company. All in-filled synthetic turf (2 inch to 2.5 inch fiber with a sand-rubber or rubber only infill) is not the same. The product inside the practice facility does not contain a mixed infill. It is rubber only, which makes it very comfortable, but extremely slow, especially when compared to AstroTurf. AstroTurf is a 1/2 inch fibered product that is normally installed over a .700 inch pvc/nitrile rubber foam pad. There was a time when AstroTurf dominated the US marketplace (50-60 fields installed per year when the entire US marketplace was 70-80 fields per year). Today's US market for synthetic turf is approximately 600 fields per year and 580 of those are the new long fibered in-filled turf. AstroTurf is still sold, but not really for football. It is a popular surface for field hockey, primarily on the east coast.

NFL fields are either FieldTurf (a name brand) or Sportexe. Both of these systems are much faster than the surface inside the OU practice facility, but neither is as fast as AstroTurf.

Starting that all in-filled varieties of synthetic turf is FieldTurf is like stating that all copiers are Xerox, or all facial tissues are Kleenex.

Kelley will undoubtedly run a faster 40 if he indeed runs it on AstroTurf. It would be hard to find a surface that would be much slower to run on (except muddy natural grass) than the indoor turf at OU's practice center.

I hope this helps to clear things up a little.

What dont you get?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033222 said:
Ok, let's take this step by step.

Do you realize that Wolfe and Lofton ran on the EXACT same surface that Kelly ran on?

Yes or no?

Wolfe and Lofton ran on the Everest Indoor Training Facility.

You do realise Kelly hasn't been able to train for 3 months and has only been training for 2 weeks vs Wolfe and Lofton who have had no injury problems and have been training all along? Yes or No

Are we clear that the surface isn't the same at the combine and OU facility? Yes or no

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033228 said:
You do realise Kelly hasn't been able to train for 3 months and has only been training for 2 weeks vs Wolfe and Lofton who have had no injury problems and have been training all along? Yes or No

Are we clear that the surface isn't the same at the combine and OU facility? Yes or no
Answer my question. Do you realize they ran on the same surface?