WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2031230 said:
the ABryant comparison is a bit extreme, WG

dude yelled at coaches, that's taking it well past pointing fingers
How is that extreme? I'm only referring to the lack of maturity shown.

And yesterday, if the reports are accurate, he was yelling at coaches. He was throwing a fit. He was throwing a big time temper tantrum.

Not saying he's known for that kind of thing or that he's done it consistently throughout his OU tenure. Just that YESTERDAY, he was AB-like.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2031233 said:

And yesterday, if the reports are accurate, he was yelling at coaches. He was throwing a fit. He was throwing a big time temper tantrum.

Not saying he's known for that kind of thing or that he's done it consistently throughout his OU tenure. Just that YESTERDAY, he was AB-like.

X-gamestreme!!! stream! exlaxtreme! you!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2031233 said:

Im sure each and every one of us has had a "AB-like" moment a time or two.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2031233 said:

We do have to remember that some of these guys are 3 years removed from high school so it's not like they have that much real life experience and add that to the millions they make at such young ages explains a lot

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2031379 said:
We do have to remember that some of these guys are 3 years removed from high school so it's not like they have that much real life experience and add that to the millions they make at such young ages explains a lot
I'm one year removed from High school. I would not be doing that. He just needs to shut up.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I wanted to post a thread a friend of mine started at one our Sooner Boards. I think he made some excellent points regarding MK's issue yesterday w/ the Oklahoma coaches. It was still wrong for MK to go off like that but this might spread a little light as to why he popped like he did. I said from the start there was more involved w/ MK and the OU staff than what you folks know or care to research. It came to a head yesterday it seems.

Poster: TearDownTheseWalls

Well, well, well...

Now everyone is down on Malcolm Kelly because he dissed the training staff. Personally, I've always posted that he shouldn't go pro because he didn't seem to be ready. However, after his comments, and even Kelly Gregg's joking comments, about injuries to Sooner players in the pros, I've changed my mind - apparently, he should go, at minimum, to save his own health!

With very few - almost no - exceptions, Sooners going pro since Schmidt has been the S&T coach have had leg injuries. Many have had very short pro careers because of those injuries. Coincidence? Maybe.

However, Malcolm's explanation about the misdiagnosis of his thigh tear puts new light on a subject some of us have considered important, but others have pooh-poohed - whether the S&T coach has the best interests of the player in mind.

Yes, his job is to get them ready to play. However, you'd think S&T/Med staff would suggest an MRI on a player of Kelly's caliber when he didn't heal quickly. They didn't. They kept telling him to run it off and forget about it.

So, did Kelly save himself from the same fate of Rocky Calmus by not playing in the Fiesta Bowl? Right now, it looks like he may have.

It's disappointing to me to hear all of this, even though I've been highly critical of the S&T coach for a few years now. I could care less that we won a national title eight seasons ago. Each year is different, each season new.

What doesn't change is that the kids coming in to play for OU are kids. As a season ticket holder, I enjoy watching and supporting them. I could care less about the S&T staff. They are a dime a dozen. And, if they are hurting the kids by misdiagnosis for the sake of keeping them on the field, they should all be fired.

It's sickening to keep having this type of thing pop up. It's also sickening to have OU "fans" dissing Kelly for giving his side of the story. If there were no other history of leg injuries and former OU players, he would seem like a whiner. Unfortunately, he may have pulled the curtain back just a little more on what is really happening.

Whatever happens, I still wish Malcolm Kelly well. He made our trips from Dallas to Norman the past three years exciting. We always knew we'd see amazing catches and 110% effort from him.

Watching Malcolm torch Miami for 100+ yards and 3 TDs last September was the icing on the cake for a victory over the Hurricanes that many of us had yearned for since the three losses to them during the 1985 and 1986 season and after the 1987 season in the Orange Bowl. Thank you, Malcolm! Thank you again!

Many people here criticized the dozen or so offensive linemen who left the program of from 2001 to 2006. We heard they just couldn't or wouldn't cut it. Well, here stands Malcolm Kelly. He never gave up. He showed for the winter drills. He practiced and did what he was told for three years. And for what? To have his health jeopardized by the S&T and Med staffs?

Sorry, folks, but if Boren is going to get involved with the athletic department during on the field controversies, he should also get involved in the off the field ones. He had alot to say after the 2006 Oregon game. I wonder if he'll have anything to say now that one of his former students has raised questions about how his injury was handled by Boren's employees.

I seriously doubt Boren has the guts. Sadly, I doubt Bob Stoops does either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Not trying to pile on too much here, but what do things like "Torching Miami for three TDs" (a very bad Miami team, BTW) have to do with Kelly throwing a tantrum and running like a sloth at his Pro Day workout?

And why would this guy let some innuendo from a few players turn him against OU's S&T coach?

That post just didn't make any sense. Is he really saying that MK was permanently damaged by an evil and uncaring training staff?

If so, then why was Kelly claiming he ran a 4.5 or so just a couple weeks ago?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2031391 said:
Not trying to pile on too much here, but what do things like "Torching Miami for three TDs" (a very bad Miami team, BTW) have to do with Kelly throwing a tantrum and running like a sloth at his Pro Day workout?

And why would this guy let some innuendo from a few players turn him against OU's S&T coach?

That post just didn't make any sense. Is he really saying that MK was permanently damaged by an evil and uncaring training staff?

If so, then why was Kelly claiming he ran a 4.5 or so just a couple weeks ago?

He is saying that Oklahoma needs to check its S&T program from the INSIDE. He clearly stated a few examples of players coming out of Oklahoma w/ suspect knees/legs and other things after being told by the current S&T coaches that things were fine when they were not. They misdiagnosed MK's thigh issue as a strain when it was in fact a tear. He kept himself out of the Fiesta Bowl against the OU staffs wishes because he felt he could be healed up by the combine (obviously not).

If MK had played on that tear like the staff wished, who knows what further damage there would have been because it was torn. That was his point in putting up the thread on our boards. I thought that was pretty clear.

I suppose since you are not familiar w/ Oklahoma's past w/ players coming out hurt and beat up, then yes, you probably wouldn't get the post.

Does that excuse what happend? No! I didn't say anywhere that it did. If you had followed the MK threads the past few days I kept saying there was other things under the surface that MK and the coaches were dealing with. That being MK being so upset at them for misdiagnosing his thigh problem. Yesterday with the change in venue to run at plus his low times, it appears it finally blew. The first guy he tore into was the Oklahoma S&T coach.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheCount;2029914 said:
Good to see he has his eyes on what's important.

:rolleyes:

As if money wouldn't be a concern for you when doing a job interview.

I was never as high on Kelly as some of the OU homers here have been, but I'm not nearly as down on him as some of you others. He ran a 4.7... so what? So did Anquan Boldin (and they have similiar builds).

I'd take him in the 3rd if he's still there. As long as his knees check out.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2031381 said:
I'm one year removed from High school. I would not be doing that. He just needs to shut up.

it's easy to talk about it and not be in the situation

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Rack;2032481 said:
:rolleyes:

As if money wouldn't be a concern for you when doing a job interview.

I was never as high on Kelly as some of the OU homers here have been, but I'm not nearly as down on him as some of you others. He ran a 4.7... so what? So did Anquan Boldin (and they have similiar builds).

I'd take him in the 3rd if he's still there. As long as his knees check out.
You know, I really didn't mind that time either precisely because of Boldin's example. It was Kelly's tantrum afterwards that's causing everyone to pile on. I don't recall Boldin throwing everyone at FSU under the bus after his workout.......

Btw, I'd take Kelly as early as the 2nd round IF his knee checks out......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I got this from an OU board.

Originally Posted by The Profit
I have been selling artificial turf for 27 years, and there is a difference in speed from one surface to the next.

The artificial turf, inside the OU practice facility, is from a company called SafePlay. At one time, Barry Switzer was a spokesman for the company. All in-filled synthetic turf (2 inch to 2.5 inch fiber with a sand-rubber or rubber only infill) is not the same. The product inside the practice facility does not contain a mixed infill. It is rubber only, which makes it very comfortable, but extremely slow, especially when compared to AstroTurf. AstroTurf is a 1/2 inch fibered product that is normally installed over a .700 inch pvc/nitrile rubber foam pad. There was a time when AstroTurf dominated the US marketplace (50-60 fields installed per year when the entire US marketplace was 70-80 fields per year). Today's US market for synthetic turf is approximately 600 fields per year and 580 of those are the new long fibered in-filled turf. AstroTurf is still sold, but not really for football. It is a popular surface for field hockey, primarily on the east coast.

NFL fields are either FieldTurf (a name brand) or Sportexe. Both of these systems are much faster than the surface inside the OU practice facility, but neither is as fast as AstroTurf.

Starting that all in-filled varieties of synthetic turf is FieldTurf is like stating that all copiers are Xerox, or all facial tissues are Kleenex.

Kelley will undoubtedly run a faster 40 if he indeed runs it on AstroTurf. It would be hard to find a surface that would be much slower to run on (except muddy natural grass) than the indoor turf at OU's practice center.

I hope this helps to clear things up a little.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Profit
I have been selling artificial turf for 27 years, and there is a difference in speed from one surface to the next.

The artificial turf, inside the OU practice facility, is from a company called SafePlay. At one time, Barry Switzer was a spokesman for the company. All in-filled synthetic turf (2 inch to 2.5 inch fiber with a sand-rubber or rubber only infill) is not the same. The product inside the practice facility does not contain a mixed infill. It is rubber only, which makes it very comfortable, but extremely slow, especially when compared to AstroTurf. AstroTurf is a 1/2 inch fibered product that is normally installed over a .700 inch pvc/nitrile rubber foam pad. There was a time when AstroTurf dominated the US marketplace (50-60 fields installed per year when the entire US marketplace was 70-80 fields per year). Today's US market for synthetic turf is approximately 600 fields per year and 580 of those are the new long fibered in-filled turf. AstroTurf is still sold, but not really for football. It is a popular surface for field hockey, primarily on the east coast.

NFL fields are either FieldTurf (a name brand) or Sportexe. Both of these systems are much faster than the surface inside the OU practice facility, but neither is as fast as AstroTurf.

Starting that all in-filled varieties of synthetic turf is FieldTurf is like stating that all copiers are Xerox, or all facial tissues are Kleenex.

Kelley will undoubtedly run a faster 40 if he indeed runs it on AstroTurf. It would be hard to find a surface that would be much slower to run on (except muddy natural grass) than the indoor turf at OU's practice center.

I hope this helps to clear things up a little.
Okay...IF what this guy says is true...Kelly might have a legitimate gripe...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Dodger;2032968 said:

Indeed.

Hes had a legitimate gripe the entire time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Dodger;2032968 said:
Eh...every time I hear it reported the scouts wanted him to run on that surface because it's most similar to the Combine surface. On Path to the Draft they pointed out a couple players that have fun on that field in the past and put up fast numbers.

Kelly is just slow.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2033140 said:
Eh...every time I hear it reported the scouts wanted him to run on that surface because it's most similar to the Combine surface. On Path to the Draft they pointed out a couple players that have fun on that field in the past and put up fast numbers.

Kelly is just slow.

Well your wrong.

All field turf isn't the same. Until you can understand that then this discussion is useless.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2032551 said:
it's easy to talk about it and not be in the situation

isn't that what we all do in here? far as i know none of us are a young/slow kid who just fell 3 rounds and lost millions he never had. *IF* i'm mistaken let me know but otherwise this entire thread, and most threads for that matter, we talk about it but have never been in that situation.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2033155 said:
Well your wrong.

All field turf isn't the same. Until you can understand that then this discussion is useless.
Of course it's not all the same. But apparently the scouts felt it was sufficiently similar to the Combine turf that they'd prefer him to run on it. If he'd ran a 4.60 on the astroturf, they would have just adjusted his time by .1 seconds anyway.