Retention decisions

visionary

Reaction score
Byron is a good corner who had a good year. He's not a lock down guy and obviously not a turnover guy. For that reason, he's not getting top-5 money from me. Would anyone be shocked to see his play fall off a cliff next year?

This

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Suppose we're offered a mid 1st round pick? Do we take it and address the DL? We have good corners that could step up, but we are really soft on the DL. It's a thought worth discussion.
We are far better on the DL than at DB.
The DL was very very poor in the divisional round but was a top 10 unit on the season.
The team needs to add one interior DL now to replace the ghost of DI but it also has only 4 CB and 2 Safeties it wants to play in games and that is where the team is lightest with depth.
We return a DL that was sitting Taco or Dorance Armstong because it was too deep at DE.
Inside they had injuries to guys like Datone Jones that can play and the DI ghosting issue but it is also deep in quality bodies.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not really. You have to take the Cowboys cap situation on the whole, not just on a player by player basis. I'm not advocating that we win the salary cap trophy. Lol.

I'm just saying that decisions will have to be made and the cap has to be taken into consideration in each instance and on the whole.

We can't resign EVERYONE and OVERPAY EVERYONE.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think a lot of people are going to get some serious heart burn over the Dak contract. I think 1. his resigning is inevitable and 2. his contract is going to be way higher than everyone thinks it is going to be. I hope I'm actually wrong about #2.

Tank is a priority signing. I want him to be resigned. But he's not nearly the level of player that a guy like Von Miller is. That doesn't mean that he's not worthy of a significant contract. It just means that we shouldn't break the bank to keep him.

The problem that we have with Tank is that he has ridden out his first franchise tag and his starting number is going to probably be the number for his franchise tag this year. That makes negotiations difficult. I DONT think the Cowboys will let him walk so he is probably going to break the bank.too.

Amari Cooper is going to get top 10 receiver money at a minimum. That's pretty much a given too.

Let's talk about Zeke. I guess we could conceivably make Zeke play out his contract and not extend him and franchise him and maybe that's best for the organization. But it's not innthe best interests of the player. I said last year we should have drafted a stud RB to pair with Zeke but we didnt. That gives Zeke leverage.

If Zeke holds out then the season is significantly impaired. I don't think the Cowboys can let that happen. Do you? That's a lot of really large contracts.

If we renew all of them this year (two of them are almost a certainty) then the available cap is going to dry up significantly. The Cowboys have the cap room to do it. That's not the issue. It's that the 4 contracts set forth above will all probably be be 5 years total each and they are all likely to be done this offseason except maybe Zeke.

Bryon is coming up next offseason. We can do that one too if we choose to. But see the cumulative issue set forth above for thisnobe too.

Now let's talk about contingencies. Tyron's back isn't in the best shape. If Tyron crashes and burns, I would expect a significant cap hit due to the acceleration of the SBs and restructures.

We can do all the above if we want. But at some point, you end up losing someone that you REALLY want to keep.

We let Leary walk, we let Parnell walk, we let Murray walk, and we more recently let Hitchens walk. I'm not saying that they were mistakes. I am saying that they were cap related decisions ONLY, because each and every one of those players would have been resigned for the right price.

We let Herschel Walker go in the trade of the century. I can assure you that no on was saying hey, let's get rid of Herschel to get better, but that's exactly what we did. I'm just saying we should be looking to improve and make the next step.
Whew! That's a lot of words!

Reaction score
Byron is a good corner who had a good year. He's not a lock down guy and obviously not a turnover guy. For that reason, he's not getting top-5 money from me. Would anyone be shocked to see his play fall off a cliff next year?

It was his first year full time at CB and he was an all pro (second team). That means that his PEERS believe he is a top 4 CB in the league. And dude is also the most athletic CB in the league, based on testing. Would anyone be shocked to see his play get better in his second year at the position and under Richard’s tutelage?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It was his first year full time at CB and he was an all pro (second team). That means that his peers believe he is a top 4 CB in the league. And dude is also the most athletic CB in the league, based on testing. Would anyone be shocked to see his play get better in his second year at the position and under Richard’s tutelage?

Yes, I would be shocked. I think he's a good fit schematically for what Richards likes to do. I dont think he's an elite corner. If he maintains a high level of play, or gets better next season, I will eat my crow and heap on the praise. Right now, he's a one year wonder. Luckily, he's already signed next season so we don't even have to address it.

Reaction score
Yes, I would be shocked. I think he's a good fit schematically for what Richards likes to do. I dont think he's an elite corner. If he maintains a high level of play, or gets better next season, I will eat my crow and heap on the praise. Right now, he's a one year wonder. Luckily, he's already signed next season so we don't even have to address it.

Fair enough. But I’m betting he is no one year wonder. I’m betting he finally has the right position and the right position coach.

HanD

Reaction score
Tagging Dak isn't even a true discussion point.
As we saw in WAS w Cousins that is about the very last way to go.

The main guy who must be all in on the team long term is the QB.
And you don't wanna eat 25-30M a year in cap hit anyway.
Far easier to eat that much split over 2 seasons in dead cap if it came to that.

Pay him and get his cap hits in right at or slightly below 20m and keep it moving.
Give him bonuses for making the pro bowl, all pro and each round of the playoffs plus some workout bonuses to take his money higher into actual top10 (right now) QB range.
And the sooner you ink the deal the better because QB salaries are only going up.
Signing before Goff or Wentz means a lower market rate.
Exactly