CFZ Review: Kupp 75 yard TD

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Kupp 75 Yard TD Catch and Run
    • It was 3rd & 2.
    • Malik Hooker off the field.
    • Wilson was the single-high FS.
    • Kearse at SS in man coverage on TE Tyler Higbee.
    • I assume that Hooker was off the field because 3rd & 2 is a high probability of being a run.
      • The top skillset for both Wilson & Kearse is run defense.
      • With Hooker's injury history, it's a good idea to limit him with regards to run defense.
    • Stafford was in an empty backfield set, however,...
      • The defense decides on personnel before they know the offensive alignment.
    • The Rams split the RB out wide near the sideline.
      • This was done to move a defender out of the middle of the field.
      • LVE was out in coverage on the RB.
    • Kupp ran the crossing route in that area where LVE would normally be located.
    • At the point of the catch, there was another WR in the middle of the field.
      • Lewis in coverage on that WR.
    • Wilson came forward about 6 yards after Stafford released the ball.
      • On the broadcast, watch the 2nd replay angle to get a good view of Wilson.
        • Unfortunately that put Wilson on the wrong side of the mid-field WR.
      • I don't know what Wilson was thinking at that point.
        • Kupp's trajectory was clearly to the other side.
    • Diggs would have had good position if the pass was right on Kupp's jersey number.
      • However, the pass was leading Kupp such that he had to stretch with a 1 handed grab.
  • Malik Hooker has been an unsung hero this season.
    • Wilson & Kearse get more highlight plays but Hooker's play enables them.
    • Hooker at FS allows Diggs & others to take chances and make plays.
      • Last season, FS Kazee was often in correct position, but couldn't prevent receptions.
      • A huge amount of receiving yardage 'allowed' blamed on Diggs was actually on Kazee.
Wilson has shown good physical ability in coverage with the deep sideline pass breakup at one point; however, he seems to be best at SS or as one of the Safeties in 2-deep alignments.

817Gill

Reaction score
    • It was 3rd & 2.
    • I assume that Hooker was off the field because 3rd & 2 is a high probability of being a run.
      • With Hooker's injury history, it's a good idea to limit him with regards to run defense.
    • Diggs would have had good position if the pass was right on Kupp's jersey number.
      • However, the pass was leading Kupp such that he had to stretch with a 1 handed grab.
      • Last season, FS Kazee was often in correct position, but couldn't prevent receptions.
      • A huge amount of receiving yardage 'allowed' blamed on Diggs was actually on Kazee.
Wilson has shown good physical ability in coverage with the deep sideline pass breakup at one point; however, he seems to be best at SS or as one of the Safeties in 2-deep alignments.

Good stuff as usual

Dre11

Reaction score
This one was on Diggs. He had bad technique and not in good position. Diggs has to stay on Kupp's left shoulder so that even if Kupp catches it he's in position to make the tackle.

Praxit

Reaction score
...my only X variable was, good, .. but Lucky catch. Grabbed it by fingertips.

Its high percentile rate, that does not happen often.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This one was on Diggs. He had bad technique and not in good position. Diggs has to stay on Kupp's left shoulder so that even if Kupp catches it he's in position to make the tackle.
The catch was on Diggs though as was stated, the pass was farther outside and almost incomplete because Diggs had pretty good position for a pick if it's more on Kupp. The TD though was on Wilson for taking a horrible angle that stuck him behind the play allowing other WRs to get in between him and Kupp.

Dre11

Reaction score
The catch was on Diggs though as was stated, the pass was farther outside and almost incomplete because Diggs had pretty good position for a pick if it's more on Kupp. The TD though was on Wilson for taking a horrible angle that stuck him behind the play allowing other WRs to get in between him and Kupp.

Diggs took the wrong angle he's suppose to be on his left shoulder Dan Quinn also explained this in his presser.

The Natural

Reaction score
Looks like Kearse was in position to give up 6 as well. It's amazing how a pass rush can cover warts in coverage.
Yes I pointed this out earlier in the week. He isn’t great in press coverage, not much lateral quickness. He got beat like a drum on that wheel route

Dre11

Reaction score

At the 18:09 min mark he talks about Trevon needing to stay on the upfield shoulder.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/dan-quinn-unselfish-nature

speedkilz88

Reaction score
At the 18:09 min mark he talks about Trevon needing to stay on the upfield shoulder.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/dan-quinn-unselfish-nature
Do you understand anything? Both Walker & I have stated now that the catch was on Diggs. He was undercutting Kupp for a potential pick, but yeah that's not the safe thing to do. So Diggs was responsible for the catch, but Wilson is the safety. It's his responsibility to keep the guy from turning that upfield for a td. He took a horrible angle which allowed that.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
    • It was 3rd & 2.

The two things I hate allowed this play to be a touchdown.

I hate when the defensive scheme takes the rat from the middle of the field. Rushing five while playing man coverage is something we should never do.

And I hate an aggressive tackling free safety. Hooker would have slow played his approach to help his teammates catch up from behind.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The two things I hate allowed this play to be a touchdown.

I hate when the defensive scheme takes the rat from the middle of the field. Rushing five while playing man coverage is something we should never do.

And I hate an aggressive tackling free safety. Hooker would have slow played his approach to help his teammates catch up from behind.
That was Wilson.

Dreams

Reaction score
I was ok with him how he played it, it was a better route and ball placement as far inas i could tell. Kupp is just that good. Diggs is a good dude. Most cb would gotten torched there. If he was that bad then they should have exploited more with kupp.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Wilson literally had four (4) routes he had to have eyes on. A triple WR set on his left which included a crossing route. Kupp was lined up on the opposite side of the ball and ran a shallow drag route in front of the other routes.

It’s no wonder why Wilson took a bad angle because he was breaking on the other routes. It was a nicely designed and executed play.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
    • It was 3rd & 2.

Not sure what the point of this was. To shift blame away from Diggs?

Diggs got beat, then couldnt recover and then couldnt catch him. He didnt even remotely make up ground in his pursuit at any point while trailing.

The best WR in the game beat one of the best corners in the game. End of story, lets move on.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
...my only X variable was, good, .. but Lucky catch. Grabbed it by fingertips.

Its high percentile rate, that does not happen often.
I understand it was well placed ball ,good catch , but how didnt he get tackled for about 70 yards , no one was in the zipcode ?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Wilson does take bad angles he does it 2-3 times a game usually followed by a facemask full of dirt.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I understand it was well placed ball ,good catch , but how didnt he get tackled for about 70 yards , no one was in the zipcode ?
Bad angles, Diggs momentum took him towards the sideline so he was trailing the play after the catch because wilson took a bad angle for the tackle.