CFZ Review: Kupp 75 yard TD

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The point is that the reason for a deep Safety that the opponent offensive players will win some snaps vs the primary coverage player.
- That's even more exaggerated in Dan Quinn's scheme where undercutting routes is built into the scheme with the expectation of help coverage if that fails.

Great scheme if you've got a very fast single high S who will stay behind the play to make it work.

For all the gushing over Wilson lately, he's just not that. Few are.

Hooker is closer. Been having a good season for us, *and* we've got him under contract next year too. Hooker and Kearse were good signings.

Dre11

Reaction score
I've seen the all-22. No need to attempt to explain it to me.

I wonder if Jason Garrett tries to explain football to Tom Brady and Bill Belichick...

I'm just giving facts, backed up by experience:thumbup:

Dre11

Reaction score
Didn't you have a story about shining Jerry's shoes and he gave you inside info?

Lol...you salty when presented by facts? I usually agree with your analysis, just pointing out Wilson and Lewis were in a bind and had no shot at Kupp...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
When you are in single coverage against a guy like Krupp you are behind him off the snap always. If he suddenly turns and runs straight across the field, not a slant, but straight across, you are always going to be behind him still. You can stay on his upfield shoulder but that will never allow you to break up the pass and when it is 3rd and 2 that is your goal. Your goal isn't to make the tackle after the catch, it is to breakup the pass. Also, I'm not sure how it cuts off his front side if you are on his upfield shoulder. Regardless, the point is that it is nearly impossible to stay with a guy like Krupp when he runs 30 yards straight across the field. Pretty much no one can do it and he played it pretty well. The pass was pretty much in a spot that he had no chance on.

Again , tell his coach that because that wasn't his coach expectation, his job is to not let him score if he catches it be in position to make the tackle. Also Diggs knowing Kupps speed could gain leverage on any crossing route by alignment, shade his inside shoulder to allow you leverage.

Dre11

Reaction score
Wilson literally had four (4) routes he had to have eyes on. A triple WR set on his left which included a crossing route. Kupp was lined up on the opposite side of the ball and ran a shallow drag route in front of the other routes.

It’s no wonder why Wilson took a bad angle because he was breaking on the other routes. It was a nicely designed and executed play.

This is exactly right, Wilson had no chance on those play. It wasn't even a bad angle , it was just the play design that put him in a bind.

dlobell

Reaction score
This one was on Diggs. He had bad technique and not in good position. Diggs has to stay on Kupp's left shoulder so that even if Kupp catches it he's in position to make the tackle.
Why was it on Diggs? Why can’t we all just say it was a great one-handed catch and move on. Diggs was in good position. If the ball had been thrown to his hands, in stride , Diggs has a good chance to bat it down.

JBond

Reaction score
Do you understand anything? Both Walker & I have stated now that the catch was on Diggs. He was undercutting Kupp for a potential pick, but yeah that's not the safe thing to do. So Diggs was responsible for the catch, but Wilson is the safety. It's his responsibility to keep the guy from turning that upfield for a td. He took a horrible angle which allowed that.
I believe we can all agree big plays happen because of a series of events. Some small (Diggs) and some large (Wilson). It happens. The other side is getting paid also.

Dre11

Reaction score
Why was it on Diggs? Why can’t we all just say it was a great one-handed catch and move on. Diggs was in good position. If the ball had been thrown to his hands, in stride , Diggs has a good chance to bat it down.

Because his defensive coach said it. I love Diggs and defend/defended him. But when analyzing the play you point put the breakdown. Nothing wrong with that, no different than analyzing any other play

superonyx

Reaction score
This one was on Diggs. He had bad technique and not in good position. Diggs has to stay on Kupp's left shoulder so that even if Kupp catches it he's in position to make the tackle.
Nah...
Sometimes the offense just makes a good play. It's not fair to blame Diggs for one of the top receivers in the game stretching out to make an impressive once handed catch.
We have become this sort of fanbase where fingers need to always be pointed.

Was it the CB on Gallups amazing sideline catches fault? No it was just an amazing catch by Gallup. Its ok to give credit to one person without needing to blame the other.

shabazz

Reaction score
I would add one more thing. Cooper Kupps jets….Diggs would still be chasing him if the end zone didn’t get in the way……that’s a fast man

Creeper

Reaction score
  • Kupp 75 Yard TD Catch and Run
    • It was 3rd & 2.
    • Malik Hooker off the field.
    • Wilson was the single-high FS.
    • Kearse at SS in man coverage on TE Tyler Higbee.
    • I assume that Hooker was off the field because 3rd & 2 is a high probability of being a run.
      • The top skillset for both Wilson & Kearse is run defense.
      • With Hooker's injury history, it's a good idea to limit him with regards to run defense.
    • Stafford was in an empty backfield set, however,...
      • The defense decides on personnel before they know the offensive alignment.
    • The Rams split the RB out wide near the sideline.
      • This was done to move a defender out of the middle of the field.
      • LVE was out in coverage on the RB.
    • Kupp ran the crossing route in that area where LVE would normally be located.
    • At the point of the catch, there was another WR in the middle of the field.
      • Lewis in coverage on that WR.
    • Wilson came forward about 6 yards after Stafford released the ball.
      • On the broadcast, watch the 2nd replay angle to get a good view of Wilson.
        • Unfortunately that put Wilson on the wrong side of the mid-field WR.
      • I don't know what Wilson was thinking at that point.
        • Kupp's trajectory was clearly to the other side.
    • Diggs would have had good position if the pass was right on Kupp's jersey number.
      • However, the pass was leading Kupp such that he had to stretch with a 1 handed grab.
  • Malik Hooker has been an unsung hero this season.
    • Wilson & Kearse get more highlight plays but Hooker's play enables them.
    • Hooker at FS allows Diggs & others to take chances and make plays.
      • Last season, FS Kazee was often in correct position, but couldn't prevent receptions.
      • A huge amount of receiving yardage 'allowed' blamed on Diggs was actually on Kazee.
Wilson has shown good physical ability in coverage with the deep sideline pass breakup at one point; however, he seems to be best at SS or as one of the Safeties in 2-deep alignments.

Hooker has been a steady player for Dallas. He seems to get better every week too.

But the thing about Kupp is you have to tackle him as soon as he catches the ball because his run after catch ability is off the charts.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's going to take Diggs giving up a huge play in a do or die game before the majority of people here realize he's the biggest boom or bust player in the league right now outside of Marcus Peters. It is what it is. He's still very valuable and his gambling will help us, but it's going to hurt a lot too.

There's no need to "delve" into the tape like you're getting paid for it. Kupp was Diggs' man on that play, he failed to stop the ball from getting to Kupp and failed to bring him down after the catch. There isn't a ton more to this.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Wilson is the single high safety on that play. He is supposed to keep everything in front of him and he got over aggressive playing another route. Diggs lost in coverage but shouldn’t have turned into a td.

conner01

Reaction score
Perfectly placed pass on a well designed play to a dynamic reciever
Sometimes the other team just makes a good play

Dre11

Reaction score
Nah...
Sometimes the offense just makes a good play. It's not fair to blame Diggs for one of the top receivers in the game stretching out to make an impressive once handed catch.
We have become this sort of fanbase where fingers need to always be pointed.

Was it the CB on Gallups amazing sideline catches fault? No it was just an amazing catch by Gallup. Its ok to give credit to one person without needing to blame the other.

Well, blame? No? We're analyzing a play in the game, if you can't handle a play being analyzed you should just sit this one out, the play was made because the cb was in bad position and played with bad technique, it happens to players all the time. As I've been saying, when it's analyzed by his coach he doesn't say the offense just made a play, he explains where the player should've been.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Diggs the unbeatable seems to just get unfortunate every single game with the most perfect passes and perfect routes by QB to WR. Totally not on Diggs or his responsibility to cover the guy he was responsible for covering.
If you can’t differentiate when it’s bad coverage and bad luck I’m not sure how to explain it to you. Diggs has definitely been a victim of both. But that doesn’t mean it’s always bad coverage even though it certainly has been at times.