CFZ Review: Kupp 75 yard TD

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not sure what the point of this was. To shift blame away from Diggs?

Diggs got beat, then couldnt recover and then couldnt catch him. He didnt even remotely make up ground in his pursuit at any point while trailing.

The best WR in the game beat one of the best corners in the game. End of story, lets move on.
I think the point was the final line that was bolded.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the 18:09 min mark he talks about Trevon needing to stay on the upfield shoulder.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/dan-quinn-unselfish-nature
I don't think anybody is disputing that coverage responsibility for Kupp was on Diggs.

The point is that the reason for a deep Safety that the opponent offensive players will win some snaps vs the primary coverage player.
- That's even more exaggerated in Dan Quinn's scheme where undercutting routes is built into the scheme with the expectation of help coverage if that fails.

plymkr

Reaction score
  • Kupp 75 Yard TD Catch and Run
    • It was 3rd & 2.
    • Malik Hooker off the field.
    • Wilson was the single-high FS.
    • Kearse at SS in man coverage on TE Tyler Higbee.
    • I assume that Hooker was off the field because 3rd & 2 is a high probability of being a run.
      • The top skillset for both Wilson & Kearse is run defense.
      • With Hooker's injury history, it's a good idea to limit him with regards to run defense.
    • Stafford was in an empty backfield set, however,...
      • The defense decides on personnel before they know the offensive alignment.
    • The Rams split the RB out wide near the sideline.
      • This was done to move a defender out of the middle of the field.
      • LVE was out in coverage on the RB.
    • Kupp ran the crossing route in that area where LVE would normally be located.
    • At the point of the catch, there was another WR in the middle of the field.
      • Lewis in coverage on that WR.
    • Wilson came forward about 6 yards after Stafford released the ball.
      • On the broadcast, watch the 2nd replay angle to get a good view of Wilson.
        • Unfortunately that put Wilson on the wrong side of the mid-field WR.
      • I don't know what Wilson was thinking at that point.
        • Kupp's trajectory was clearly to the other side.
    • Diggs would have had good position if the pass was right on Kupp's jersey number.
      • However, the pass was leading Kupp such that he had to stretch with a 1 handed grab.
  • Malik Hooker has been an unsung hero this season.
    • Wilson & Kearse get more highlight plays but Hooker's play enables them.
    • Hooker at FS allows Diggs & others to take chances and make plays.
      • Last season, FS Kazee was often in correct position, but couldn't prevent receptions.
      • A huge amount of receiving yardage 'allowed' blamed on Diggs was actually on Kazee.
Wilson has shown good physical ability in coverage with the deep sideline pass breakup at one point; however, he seems to be best at SS or as one of the Safeties in 2-deep alignments.

Good breakdown. I remember thinking he had to make an amazing one handed catch to make the play.

Ken

Reaction score
Not sure what the point of this was. To shift blame away from Diggs?

Diggs got beat, then couldnt recover and then couldnt catch him. He didnt even remotely make up ground in his pursuit at any point while trailing.

The best WR in the game beat one of the best corners in the game. End of story, lets move on.
The point of it is to quell the "Diggs GOT TOASTED" narrative with actual football knowledge.

If this is too much for you, then you don't have to click on the thread.

Diggs gave up the catch, Wilson gave up the TD.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think the point was the final line that was bolded.

He bolded several. Jumped around, bolded and even used coloring. NO real point. Xwalker has a way of trying to lay Cowboys players blameless for what happens. He has a clever way of blaming no one in particular thus letting everyone off the hook.

Corso

Reaction score
He bolded several. Jumped around, bolded and even used coloring. NO real point. Xwalker has a way of trying to lay Cowboys players blameless for what happens. He has a clever way of blaming no one in particular thus letting everyone off the hook.
Huh. Alrighty then.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Verdict can attest that I never did that with Dez...

I also plenty of time holding Cowboys players accountable...Jaylon, Doug Free, Kazee, Roy WR Williams top the list but there are players every year in my doghouse.

The issue is that there are an infinite number of posts criticizing players, therefore I tend to post more about good performances by players.

I heard that Farniok has been getting some 1st team reps at OC in practice...:laugh:

Dre11

Reaction score
Do you understand anything? Both Walker & I have stated now that the catch was on Diggs. He was undercutting Kupp for a potential pick, but yeah that's not the safe thing to do. So Diggs was responsible for the catch, but Wilson is the safety. It's his responsibility to keep the guy from turning that upfield for a td. He took a horrible angle which allowed that.

Wilson and Lewis was running the opposite direction covering another crossing route opposite of Kupp when he caught the ball and had to turn and retreat. There was no way he was cutting Kupp off who was running full speed before he even turned around. In no way was Wilson or Lewis catching him, there was no angle to take...lol

Corso

Reaction score
@Verdict can attest that I never did that with Dez...

I also plenty of time holding Cowboys players accountable...Jaylon, Doug Free, Kazee, Roy WR Williams top the list but there are players every year in my doghouse.

The issue is that there are an infinite number of posts criticizing players, therefore I tend to post more about good performances by players.

I heard that Farniok has been getting some 1st team reps at OC in practice...:laugh:
Lol.
Troublemaker!

Jarntt

Reaction score
This one was on Diggs. He had bad technique and not in good position. Diggs has to stay on Kupp's left shoulder so that even if Kupp catches it he's in position to make the tackle.
Following any receiver on a cross straight across the entire field is about the most difficult thing a corner can be asked to do. It’s hard to have good “technique” on plays like that. He was actually in good coverage. If the pass wasn’t right where it was he possibly breaks it up (same as on the deep completion he gave up). Once it’s caught the safety and really the rest of the defense needs to help on the tackle. I’m not faulting Diggs on this one even if it wasn’t Kupp. The fact that it was, I’m really not faulting him. Could he have been better? Yes.

Dre11

Reaction score
I don't think anybody is disputing that coverage responsibility for Kupp was on Diggs.

The point is that the reason for a deep Safety that the opponent offensive players will win some snaps vs the primary coverage player.
- That's even more exaggerated in Dan Quinn's scheme where undercutting routes is built into the scheme with the expectation of help coverage if that fails.
Wilson was coming up to help on another route to help (Robinson) and also had 18 on that side as well , comes in the picture later. The shallow cross concept is hard to cover in man.

Dre11

Reaction score
Following any receiver on a cross straight across the entire field is about the most difficult thing a corner can be asked to do. It’s hard to have good “technique” on plays like that. He was actually in good coverage. If the pass wasn’t right where it was he possibly breaks it up (same as on the deep completion he gave up). Once it’s caught the safety and really the rest of the defense needs to help on the tackle. I’m not faulting Diggs on this one even if it wasn’t Kupp. The fact that it was, I’m really not faulting him. Could he have been better? Yes.

His coach said he was bad position you tell him he in good position. I posted it, you can go listen if you want. Wilson was coming up on another route and had no way of catching him. You can cover a crossing route cutting the reciever front side off by staying on his upfield shoulder.

Praxit

Reaction score
I understand it was well placed ball ,good catch , but how didnt he get tackled for about 70 yards , no one was in the zipcode ?
..yep, bad angles from everyone. Kupp caught that in almost full stride, by 2nd step is was already full speed.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Great insight and analogy as always . When it went down my first thought was where was safety help . Lots of posters wanted Hooker signed last year before the FO did it and I’m glad he’s back .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wilson was coming up to help on another route to help (Robinson) and also had 18 on that side as well , comes in the picture later. The shallow cross concept is hard to cover in man.
I've seen the all-22. No need to attempt to explain it to me.

I wonder if Jason Garrett tries to explain football to Tom Brady and Bill Belichick...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Diggs the unbeatable seems to just get unfortunate every single game with the most perfect passes and perfect routes by QB to WR. Totally not on Diggs or his responsibility to cover the guy he was responsible for covering.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't you have a story about shining Jerry's shoes and he gave you inside info?

Jarntt

Reaction score
His coach said he was bad position you tell him he in good position. I posted it, you can go listen if you want. Wilson was coming up on another route and had no way of catching him. You can cover a crossing route cutting the reciever front side off by staying on his upfield shoulder.

When you are in single coverage against a guy like Krupp you are behind him off the snap always. If he suddenly turns and runs straight across the field, not a slant, but straight across, you are always going to be behind him still. You can stay on his upfield shoulder but that will never allow you to break up the pass and when it is 3rd and 2 that is your goal. Your goal isn't to make the tackle after the catch, it is to breakup the pass. Also, I'm not sure how it cuts off his front side if you are on his upfield shoulder. Regardless, the point is that it is nearly impossible to stay with a guy like Krupp when he runs 30 yards straight across the field. Pretty much no one can do it and he played it pretty well. The pass was pretty much in a spot that he had no chance on.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Roll your eyes all you want but pretty much every game he has had 2-3 times where had the guy an all he got was dirt, Daniel Jones made him look like a statue. Or is it that someone is just criticizing a player. He is a young player that that occasionally takes bad angle. It isn't like I said he deserves to be cut or he is JAG. It is something in his game he needs to clean up.