Video: Review of Asim Richards

plymkr

Reaction score
Great breakdown. It looks like we maybe have a couple future long term starters on the line.
If Bass and Ashim become long term starters that would be huge considering how long in the tooth 2 out of the 5 starters are. It’s encouraging we found some depth on the offensive line. Hopefully these guys develop into quality starts in the years to come.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Great addition with the film...good stuff for site. Thanks.

Four strong indicating linemen pointing right now as depth this year, but a true strength by 2024. Our new offensive line coach has a lap full of work here.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Loved this pick and raved about it at the time. I honestly thought he needed a year in the weight room and would contend for a starting job next year. The Cowboys really like Richards and targeted him for a day 3 pick. I'm so glad they did because he looks like a keeper. Great scouting.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I did notice him a couple times this preseason. They may have a good young group. Would still feel better with a vet G/T for when the inevitable Tyron injury happens. Would prefer a vet in his prime, but even a Peters might be a good depth/non progress stopper option.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Don't want to jinx it, but yes, feel like we lucked into a future solid starter with Asim.

Props to whomever picked the offensive line rookies this year. Much needed after some disappointing prospects last few years.

If everyone keeps reporting depth is at Oline is bad everywhere, along with a good eye for later picks, going to have to keep spending occasional first round picks too.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Want to see snaps in the regular season against top quality opposition before I anoint him.

But we are due to find a diamond in the rough. WE got steele who is a good RT and if we can get a good guard in Richards then that is doing well at not spending a lot of draft capital there. Bluntly speaking we have had bad luck in all but rd 1 picks as regards getting top quality starters.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't want to jinx it, but yes, feel like we lucked into a future solid starter with Asim.

Props to whomever picked the offensive line rookies this year. Much needed after some disappointing prospects last few years.

If everyone keeps reporting depth is at Oline is bad everywhere, along with a good eye for later picks, going to have to keep spending occasional first round picks too.
Right now, there are four players that present one year growth potentials to be solid in moving forward when retirements or injury affects the group. Good for the O Line Coach Solari.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that Richards shows some skills and potential. I think they got a good one. But I have issues with this guy’s assessment, starting with the fact that he can’t even pronounce the guy’s name correctly.

But he’s repeatedly talking about Richard’s strength and power when in fact it’s an area where he needs the most work.

And take note of him praising him for moving guys on double team blocks. Seriously? Two against one and it’s amazing’ that the one guy gets moved?

The rest are sone good pass protection reps that show good awareness. I think that’s the best part of his game right now.

But I completely disagree with his belief that he’s a better guard. His lack of power would be on full display there.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Bass and Ashim become long term starters that would be huge considering how long in the tooth 2 out of the 5 starters are. It’s encouraging we found some depth on the offensive line. Hopefully these guys develop into quality starts in the years to come.
What it really says is all the fans had overreacted because in the second round we took schoonmaker and some in the first round didn't think we should take mazzy and they were all on you better take an offensive lineman because you won't get any good ones lower... Fans tend to overreact about everything they think they know more than actual team full of professional scouts and coaches I mean they literally do it every year say how we were gonna rue the day we didn't pick an offensive lineman earlier than the third round.. Yet they forget we get guys like Terrence Steele undrafted we find guys that fit our system and other places besides the top three rounds.. Yes it's nice to pick high sometimes when you have a good idea about somebody but as soon as they pick Richards and I went look at his college tape I looked at how he did in his workouts he looks like Tyler Smith I'm not saying he is Tyler Smith he's has a similar body style a similar game and if this guy can play left tackle and keep Tyler at left guard and these guys become something I mean that's a win.. People keep saying well he's drafted to be a guard no he looks better at tackle and if Tyler Smith can handle being a all pro left guard like Larry Allen moved from tackle to guard why not???

This is why fans like me and there are some others in here have to tell people to calm down and stop overreacting to the draft and to the preseason games and other things they think they're seeing let some of these players develop a little bit then we can talk about them a couple years down the road.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I agree that Richards shows some skills and potential. I think they got a good one. But I have issues with this guy’s assessment, starting with the fact that he can’t even pronounce the guy’s name correctly.

But he’s repeatedly talking about Richard’s strength and power when in fact it’s an area where he needs the most work.

And take note of him praising him for moving guys on double team blocks. Seriously? Two against one and it’s amazing’ that the one guy gets moved?

The rest are sone good pass protection reps that show good awareness. I think that’s the best part of his game right now.

But I completely disagree with his belief that he’s a better guard. His lack of power would be on full display there.
He’s not polished and his transitions (“let’s move on to the next rep”) needs work. But he was one of the first I saw praising Tyler Smith.
I think this is the one, but there’s several by him on Smith.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is he more of a guard or tackle? Tyron probably doesn’t have much last. Zack still has a few years. What would the future OL look like?

LT - Tyler Smith
LG - Asim Richards
C - Tyler Biadasz
RG - TJ Bass
RT - Terrance Steele
Looked better at tackle than guard IMO, but he's used to playing LT, so that's probably a given.