Video: Review of Asim Richards

Gambit

Reaction score
I agree that Richards shows some skills and potential. I think they got a good one. But I have issues with this guy’s assessment, starting with the fact that he can’t even pronounce the guy’s name correctly.

But he’s repeatedly talking about Richard’s strength and power when in fact it’s an area where he needs the most work.

And take note of him praising him for moving guys on double team blocks. Seriously? Two against one and it’s amazing’ that the one guy gets moved?

The rest are sone good pass protection reps that show good awareness. I think that’s the best part of his game right now.

But I completely disagree with his belief that he’s a better guard. His lack of power would be on full display there.
I agree with you on this, right now he is better suited at LT, give a year and some off-season peanut butter and let's see where he's at

McMicah

Reaction score
I appreciate these videos, but his initial statement about Asim being a better G is patently false. Asim played LT against Jacksonville and Seattle starters and played LG against 2-3rd stringers, and he played much better as a LT in all 3 games.

Yes, his arm length and body type project him to G long term, but his lack of strength exposed him as a G in the preseason action against lesser talent. Honestly he looked a lot like Tyler Smith when he played LT last year. A little reactive but barely allowed any pressures and got good movement in the run game against edge rushers.

This guys is pretty selective in which snaps he chooses, but across his entire body of work, Asims best position right now is LT. There’s a reason they started him there in the preseason. I agree with the video that fans should get excited about this guy.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I just like how these videos throw around the word "Elite" and "Beast" like it grows on trees. And from preseason snaps to boot. But it wouldn't be a hype video without it I guess.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If Bass and Ashim become long term starters that would be huge considering how long in the tooth 2 out of the 5 starters are. It’s encouraging we found some depth on the offensive line. Hopefully these guys develop into quality starts in the years to come.
I agree. If these two continue progressing, they very well could be strong starters. Throw in Tyler, Steele, and Biadasz, an older Martin and what's left of Tyron and it seems we're in pretty good shape now, and in the near future.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Is he more of a guard or tackle? Tyron probably doesn’t have much last. Zack still has a few years. What would the future OL look like?

LT - Tyler Smith
LG - Asim Richards
C - Tyler Biadasz
RG - TJ Bass
RT - Terrance Steele
He performed well as tackle as his technique and foot movement is good , but lacks NFL power for guard , When he played as a guard he had some problems with bull rushing DL

RonWashington

Reaction score
Great addition with the film...good stuff for site. Thanks.

Four strong indicating linemen pointing right now as depth this year, but a true strength by 2024. Our new offensive line coach has a lap full of work here.

Richards could be starting sometime in this 17 game marathon . Along with Deuce , the scouting dept had some nice picks late .

gtb1943

Reaction score
What it really says is all the fans had overreacted because in the second round we took schoonmaker and some in the first round didn't think we should take mazzy and they were all on you better take an offensive lineman because you won't get any good ones lower... Fans tend to overreact about everything they think they know more than actual team full of professional scouts and coaches I mean they literally do it every year say how we were gonna rue the day we didn't pick an offensive lineman earlier than the third round.. Yet they forget we get guys like Terrence Steele undrafted we find guys that fit our system and other places besides the top three rounds.. Yes it's nice to pick high sometimes when you have a good idea about somebody but as soon as they pick Richards and I went look at his college tape I looked at how he did in his workouts he looks like Tyler Smith I'm not saying he is Tyler Smith he's has a similar body style a similar game and if this guy can play left tackle and keep Tyler at left guard and these guys become something I mean that's a win.. People keep saying well he's drafted to be a guard no he looks better at tackle and if Tyler Smith can handle being a all pro left guard like Larry Allen moved from tackle to guard why not???

This is why fans like me and there are some others in here have to tell people to calm down and stop overreacting to the draft and to the preseason games and other things they think they're seeing let some of these players develop a little bit then we can talk about them a couple years down the road.
I am fairly certain that posts by so called self appointed experts are laughed at a lot....

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
As long as he does not match first round pick

Howard Richards, OT (25th Overall, 1981),​

I will be happy. Tom Landry's Number 1 busts, 1978-1987 except for Jim Jeffcoat in 1983, sealed the doom for the franchise. Gil Brandt and Landry got senile in those awful draft years, along with too much tolerance for drug use by players.

gtb1943

Reaction score
As long as he does not match first round pick

Howard Richards, OT (25th Overall, 1981),​

I will be happy. Tom Landry's Number 1 busts, 1978-1987 except for Jim Jeffcoat in 1983, sealed the doom for the franchise. Gil Brandt and Landry got senile in those awful draft years, along with too much tolerance for drug use by players.
Sad to say tolerance for drug use was everywhere. We now know there was plenty on the Steelers at that time. Look at the Giants and LT and company.
IT is hard to figure out why the Boys went from being so good at drafting to stinking it up too much. Gil talked about it once that I remember and he felt they went too far in their qualifications cutoffs.
They refused to draft Singletary because he was one half inch below their minimum requirement for height for a LB. That is the problem when you fall in love with numbers.

ITs like all the huge mistakes made with QBs - look at how many get drafted only because of their size and arms (Jumongus, Jeff George, etc)

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Is he more of a guard or tackle? Tyron probably doesn’t have much last. Zack still has a few years. What would the future OL look like?

LT - Tyler Smith
LG - Asim Richards
C - Tyler Biadasz
RG - TJ Bass
RT - Terrance Steele
Awesome Richards at LT....then you gots yourself a line. I would like to upgrade C next, still feel we need better play there.