Review: Pollard vs Giants

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There were minimal opportunities for Pollard to gain yards.

His opportunities were not remotely close to what he would have had as a starter.

Almost all of his runs were on plays where the Giants were expecting a run.

He had an 18 yard and a 5 yard run called back on blocking penalties.

He was hit in the backfield on 8 of 13 runs.

1st Quarter
  • 1-10-NYG 28 (4:10) T.Pollard right tackle to NYG 23 for 5 yards (T.Davis).
  • PENALTY on DAL-Z.Martin, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NYG 25.
    • Martin got his hand on the outside of the defender.
    • Would have been a nice play by Pollard.
  • 1-10-DAL 7 :)18) T.Pollard up the middle to DAL 9 for 2 yards (D.Lawrence II; B.Hill).
    • Started out standing in the endzone.
    • Got what was available on the inside.
2nd Quarter
  • 1-10-DAL 21 (14:23) (No Huddle) T.Pollard right tackle to DAL 23 for 2 yards (G.Haley).
    • Run blitz by #34.
    • Initial contract 2 yards deep in the backfield.
  • 1-15-NYG 44 (3:45) (Shotgun) T.Pollard up the middle to NYG 42 for 2 yards (A.Bethea).
    • Run blitz by #41.
    • Initial contract 2 yards deep in the backfield.
4th Quarter
  • 1-10-DAL 34 (13:37) T.Pollard left end to DAL 39 for 5 yards (R.McIntosh).
    • Defender 3 yards into the backfield forcing Pollard to cut left.
    • Initial contact 1 yard deep in the backfield.
  • 1-10-NYG 49 (12:18) T.Pollard up the middle to NYG 47 for 2 yards (G.Haley).
  • 2-8-NYG 47 (11:38) T.Pollard right tackle to NYG 44 for 3 yards (J.Peppers).
    • Pollard's first opportunity without defenders immediately in his face.
    • Outside zone run right.
Zack Martin out of the game at this point. Replaced by Su'a-Filo.
  • 1-10-DAL 38 (7:53) T.Pollard right guard to DAL 40 for 2 yards (G.Haley).
    • Run blitz by #34 again.
    • First contact 3 yards deep in the backfield.
  • 2-8-DAL 40 (7:15) T.Pollard right end to NYG 42 for 18 yards (A.Bethea).
  • PENALTY on DAL-X.Su'a-Filo, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DAL 40 - No Play.
  • Penalty on DAL-T.Pollard, Lowering the Head to Initiate Contact, declined.
    • The penalty on Pollard was declined but it was a lame call anyway.
    • He didn't aim his helmet at the defender.
    • Is he supposed to just stand straight up before the tackle?
    • He was running between the tackler and a defender being blocked.
    • Pollard was putting his shoulder into the defender.
    • The defender was coming across horizontally and lowered his head.
    • Their helmets collided.
    • This is an absurd call even if it didn't involved a Cowboys player.
  • 2-18-DAL 30 (6:50) (Shotgun) T.Pollard left end to DAL 27 for -3 yards (R.Connelly).
    • Initial contact 5 yards in the backfield.
    • The timing/spacing of the blocking on this play needs work.
    • They had SF (Su'a-Filo) attempt to block the LG Connelly.
    • The defensive alignment made the SF block impossible.
    • Some run plays fail before the snap based on the exact alignment of defenders.
    • I think a hand-off block from Frederick to SF would be better.
    • Frederick could pick up the LB if SF could take the hand-off block.
    • The LB shot the gap between Frederick and CW (Connor Williams).
    • Only other option is for CW to slow down as they move to the outside.
  • 3-21-DAL 27 (6:06) (Shotgun) T.Pollard up the middle to DAL 33 for 6 yards (B.Hill).
    • Reverse pivot hand-off by Dak for Draw type play on 3rd and long.
    • Good gain by Pollard despite a defender free in the backfield.
The Cowboys are just running out the clock at this point.
  • 1-10-DAL 16 (2:47) T.Pollard left tackle to DAL 17 for 1 yard (T.Davis).
    • Zone run right.
    • Pollard starts outside then cuts back.
  • 2-9-DAL 17 (2:40) T.Pollard left guard to DAL 19 for 2 yards (Ja.Jenkins).
    • Pollard evades initial defender 4 yards deep in the backfield.
    • Next contact at 1 yards deep by unblocked defender.
  • 3-7-DAL 19 (2:35) T.Pollard right end to DAL 16 for -3 yards (O.Ximines).
    • Initial contact 6 yards deep in the backfield.
    • Failed blocks by Looney and Su'a-Filo.

I'm relatively unconcerned about Pollard's yardage at TB. I'd like to see him getting his carries lined up somewhere else as a complement to Zeke at TB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He ran the ball 4 times on first down in the first half (which would have been what a starter would have had). Even if I leave in the 5 yard run that was cancelled out, he had 4 carries for 11 yards (2.75ypc). Without it he had 3 carries for 6 yards. I agree with what happened in the 2nd half.

Many of us said that Zeke looked slow/bad in the first half but even so he had 7 carries for 26 yards (3.72 ypc) and that does not include the 15 yard carry he had called back.

Not saying he won't improve, but he had chances in the first half and played like most 4th round rookies would given the circumstances. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you don't understand the concept of a review thread.

I actually review the game footage including using slow motion. I don't just use stats to form an opinion...

A RB standing in the endzone on 1st down is coached to take what is available inside. He does not have the option to run outside on that play.

There was the penalty play and 2 plays with an unblocked blitzer hitting him in the backfield.

None of those are an average sequence of events for a RB's first 4 carries.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Pollard played better than I thought, curious to see him get a few snaps during the game and not finish off the game where they know your killing the clock.

irishline

Reaction score

I actually review the game footage including using slow motion. I don't just use stats to form an opinion...

A RB standing in the endzone on 1st down is coached to take what is available inside. He does not have the option to run outside on that play.

There was the penalty play and 2 plays with an unblocked blitzer hitting him in the backfield.

Then what would be an average sequence of events for a RB's first 4 carries because what you described we have seen countless time for other RB's in the league throughout the years. I do not disagree with what you just said, I just disagree with the assertion (opinion) that getting hit in the backfield a couple of runs and having a run called back is some rare random outlier.

Again I appreciate the recap.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I could do without seeing our fullback on 3rd downs .I hope Moore has watched Memphis tapes on how they used Pollard together with their main RB in the backfield.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Wheres that cornerback review?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The kid looked like he belonged. He wasn't over whelmed, he didn't look gun shy or indecisive at all and he knew his assignments. The kid had a good first game and got real game time experience.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The links show that it was not a serious question.

It was the continuation of one or multiple of your agendas.
You guys and your paranoia of "agendas."I gave an opinion in one of those posts and made a joke in the other. Please, tell me what my agenda is, I am dying to hear what it is so I can really focus harder on pushing it. Fear my agendaaaa!!!:eek:

HellCrowe

Reaction score
There isn’t an agenda but if anyone was expecting more than this, should temper their excitement. He spelled Zeke a few times and closed out the game. Sounds about right. If this if that, just sound like excuses. He’ll get his, just has to wait and capitalize on the opportunities when he gets a chance.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Most of Pollard's carries came in the deepest of garbage time up 35-10. Everyone wanted to just get off the field and go home, and Pollard was repeatedly thrown into a wall of defenders to run clock out. He had no prayer of making a play happen and absolutely did not get a fair shake there.

When the offense and defense were still trying though, I wasn't crazy impressed though. He didn't seem to make any tacklers miss or pick up any yards after contact. You could see the difference when Elliott was in there on inside runs; 21 would bull through tacklers like usual whereas Pollard would just go down.

He did hit some nice blocks in pass pro though, and that is no small feat coming from an offense at Memphis that literally never asked him too. From a one game sample, he looked like a replacement level runner to me, but he'll stick if he can play 3rd downs like that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
after 5 consecutive scores, you would think the giant's dc might have adjusted his game plan.
No lol he liked his split safety zone defense lol . what a bozo.
It was like the giants were running a prevent defense for the whole game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Most of Pollard's carries came in the deepest of garbage time up 35-10. Everyone wanted to just get off the field and go home, and Pollard was repeatedly thrown into a wall of defenders to run clock out. He had no prayer of making a play happen and absolutely did not get a fair shake there.

When the offense and defense were still trying though, I wasn't crazy impressed though. He didn't seem to make any tacklers miss or pick up any yards after contact. You could see the difference when Elliott was in there on inside runs; 21 would bull through tacklers like usual whereas Pollard would just go down.

He did hit some nice blocks in pass pro though, and that is no small feat coming from an offense at Memphis that literally never asked him too. From a one game sample, he looked like a replacement level runner to me, but he'll stick if he can play 3rd downs like that.

He was a little lackluster.

But it was his first NFL game ever.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As spoken by someone that did NOT review the game...

Watching in real time from across the room while pounding some brews and yapping with buddies or the wife does not result in relevant opinions...

GenoT

Reaction score
What I learned from the NYG game is, as long as Zeke is our #1 RB and/or until Pollard is regularly utilized in another capacity, Tony’s primary job is backup RB, and as such, he’ll get backup reps which will most likely produce backup stats.