Reviewed the game

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't have time to a full review but I wanted to make a few comments.

Lewis was not really bad. He was better than Carroll. He slipped and gave up a short TD. He might have been responsible on another TD but that one was a clever play design that might have fooled a veteran. They had 2 TEs on one side and were inside the 5 yard line. The TE to the inside did a 180 into the backfield and then went out in the flat. It's possible that the Safey was supposed to cover it. Other than that he gave up a couple of short passes and tackled better than many other players. I call his INT and slipping on a TD a break even. That primarily leaves the other TD play which might or might not have been his responsibility.

Byron Jones was not that bad either. It was either him or Lewis, not both, on the TD described above. Otherwise he had play where he was glued to the TE when the RB ran by. He seemed to lose sight of the RB. A couple of other plays could have been better but nothing overwhelmingly bad.

The Broncos had 78 plays on offense. If player only had a 3 to 5 negative plays on defense that's not bad.

Woods the Safety played his first NFL snaps at slot CB. He was decent.

The biggest problem was stopping the run and short passes. Both Led and Jaylon were a bit off.

CB Brown played way off and gave up many short passes. That's more scheme than player.

The DL got some pressure but struggled against the run.

Heath was OK. Not great, not terrible.
XWalker, in no way am I making light of your post, but your comments... "Lewis was not really bad. He was better than Carroll", made me think of the writer Lewis Carroll which, in turn, made me think of "Alice in Wonderland" and THAT made me think of the Mad Hatter and @Reality.

That's all I got... On to Arizona :).

Last edited:

BHendri5

Reaction score
I rewatched the Giants lions game and I noticed that Brandon Marshall did not make the tackle when Eli was intercepted. Oh he ran alongside the DB like he was going to tackle him but as soon as a Lions player came up and gave him a little nudge with his arm he went stumbling off like he got knocked back with a lot of force, in my eyes that is crap, I'd rather have a guy do what Zeke did than to just run along side the guy as if he is going to make the tackle.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Did you wear a leather mask you crazy masochist?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Lewis was not really bad. He was better than Carroll. He slipped and gave up a short TD. He might have been responsible on another TD but that one was a clever play design that might have fooled a veteran. They had 2 TEs on one side and were inside the 5 yard line. The TE to the inside did a 180 into the backfield and then went out in the flat. It's possible that the Safey was supposed to cover it. Other than that he gave up a couple of short passes and tackled better than many other players. I call his INT and slipping on a TD a break even. That primarily leaves the other TD play which might or might not have been his responsibility.

Byron Jones was not that bad either. It was either him or Lewis, not both, on the TD described above. Otherwise he had play where he was glued to the TE when the RB ran by. He seemed to lose sight of the RB. A couple of other plays could have been better but nothing overwhelmingly bad.

The Broncos had 78 plays on offense. If player only had a 3 to 5 negative plays on defense that's not bad.

The biggest problem was stopping the run and short passes. Both Led and Jaylon were a bit off.

CB Brown played way off and gave up many short passes. That's more scheme than player.

Couple quick ?s.........Pretty sure you notice run-pass ratio. Any ideal why we NEVER tried establish the running game. Think the altitude had any impact on players/game planning?

dfense

Reaction score
I rewatch games just to watch a certain player. I actually cheered when Nolan went out. I know that's cruel but I did it.

I thought Collins had a solid game considering Dak danced a jig in the pocket at times.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If your metric is not being as bad as Carroll, then no player will ever play bad in your eyes. He is a bum.

:muttley:

You already made a determination on Lewis after one game? Wow, if you're right you need to go into scouting or player personnel.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Did we win in the rewatch?

rpntex

Reaction score
Heath was atrocious once dropped into the box

Considering that he was playing nickel CB a good portion of the game, I don't believe anyone can be surprised by that. Once Awuzie went out, Lewis had to shift outside. That left Dallas with nobody left to man the slot, so they moved Heath down there. He was, in essence, playing a brand new position and learning how to on the fly. I'm leaning toward giving him a pass for this game.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Considering that he was playing nickel CB a good portion of the game, I don't believe anyone can be surprised by that. Once Awuzie went out, Lewis had to shift outside. That left Dallas with nobody left to man the slot, so they moved Heath down there. He was, in essence, playing a brand new position and learning how to on the fly. I'm leaning toward giving him a pass for this game.

He had opportunities to make tackles-like screens- and blew that as well. He had the correct reads, just completely sucked at tackling. His play in the box, both coverage & tackling, was as stated...... ATROCIOUS

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
XWalker, in no way am I making light of your post, but your comments... "Lewis was not really bad. He was better than Carroll", made me think of the writer Lewis Carroll which, in turn, made me think of "Alice in Wonderland" and THAT made me think of the Mad Hatter and @Reality.

That's all I got... On to Arizona :).

Your brain appears to work similar to mine...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couple quick ?s.........Pretty sure you notice run-pass ratio. Any ideal why we NEVER tried establish the running game. Think the altitude had any impact on players/game planning?
I wondered about the altitude. Even Lee struggled in this game and Witten dropped a sure TD pass hit him in both hands.

Last season they would run outside if the middle was clogged. This season Zeke looks slower and definitely in the Denver game. The altitude seemed to affect him the most.

The had McFadden inactive so running outside with Morris and Smith is not a good option

The OL was OK physically but timing and angles were off with them and Zeke.

The best run might have been one by Rod Smith.

Overall I still think they'll be good but many young and new players will take time to become consistent.

visionary

Reaction score

I'm sorry X but I can't agree
When players have 3-5 negative plays that is why the opposition is able to run 76 plays

I am quickly beginning to dislike jones

visionary

Reaction score
It may surprise a lot of fans but we really seem to struggle against good defenses on the road in hostile stadiums....... places like DEN, PHI, GB, MINN

Yep, apparently s 'Garrett-build' of just the offense requires more than 7 years

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

XWalker--- Oh man i have not been here for a few weeks cause i thought site was down for referbish..but then after a couple fays my Chrome said could not process link ,,i waited like 3 weeks and finally i downloaded firefox and got on fine today..anyway have missed you guys and your inputs...oh man after the denver game i was so depressed and am barely coming out of it here on Wednesday...I know...Hey dude GORICO get a life and quit being a Cowboy Homer...i tried and not successful so i accept my shortcomings..anyway...since i am behind things i need to ask..."what have we determined caused us to get snuffed on all phases of game?....is this a blueprint .load up stop run and make Dak throw and take a chance not doubling Dez cause it aint working?...cant remember our O line (even when it was not that good get so stuffed )..plus Linehan is really ticking me off refusing to be more creative with all the weapons we have on offense...any thoughts my estitute cowboy collegue?..thanks

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fans and media have claimed he was terrible which is false.

I explained the plays regardless. My point was that the defense improved when Lewis took over for Carroll.
Xwalker--- oh one more thing..watching Carroll play way off receivers so they have easy slant route first down pick ups is frustrating..i know we like bend dont break but this is not acceptable in my book...Carr could not do anything here..he goes to Ravens and has already two int's in two games....i know i am just really frustrated with how we got *****-slapped by Broncos...this early in season could be best thing that could happen if we respond the right way....if we dont put a beat down on Arizona or if worse we lose or lose big i will very upset..one problem though is Cardinals have had many players injured and they are getting many of them back this week...excuse my venting...it just hurt real bad and i have not been here for 3 weeks because of tech issues so i am behind....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Xwalker--- oh one more thing..watching Carroll play way off receivers so they have easy slant route first down pick ups is frustrating..i know we like bend dont break but this is not acceptable in my book...Carr could not do anything here..he goes to Ravens and has already two int's in two games....i know i am just really frustrated with how we got *****-slapped by Broncos...this early in season could be best thing that could happen if we respond the right way....if we dont put a beat down on Arizona or if worse we lose or lose big i will very upset..one problem though is Cardinals have had many players injured and they are getting many of them back this week...excuse my venting...it just hurt real bad and i have not been here for 3 weeks because of tech issues so i am behind....

If you go back and rewatch just the defense where you get a feel for the complete game, the bend but don't break does make more sense.

Having said that, it does seem that they could be a couple of yards closer to the WRs.

They were all doing it, Carroll, Brown and Lewis.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
XWalker--- Oh man i have not been here for a few weeks cause i thought site was down for referbish..but then after a couple fays my Chrome said could not process link ,,i waited like 3 weeks and finally i downloaded firefox and got on fine today..anyway have missed you guys and your inputs...oh man after the denver game i was so depressed and am barely coming out of it here on Wednesday...I know...Hey dude GORICO get a life and quit being a Cowboy Homer...i tried and not successful so i accept my shortcomings..anyway...since i am behind things i need to ask..."what have we determined caused us to get snuffed on all phases of game?....is this a blueprint .load up stop run and make Dak throw and take a chance not doubling Dez cause it aint working?...cant remember our O line (even when it was not that good get so stuffed )..plus Linehan is really ticking me off refusing to be more creative with all the weapons we have on offense...any thoughts my estitute cowboy collegue?..thanks
My computer is so old that it would not work at all after the upgrade. I just use my phone now. I could use my work computer but I usually don't.

Stuff the run is the formula. The Giants did it last year with their super run stuffing DTs.

It's odd that they are not using many outside zone runs which was their bread and butter at one time.

The OL was not getting whupped physically very much. It was more about timing and angles and the timing with Zeke being off.

I expected the defense to struggle early this season. They are very young and had many DBs out by the 1st half.
Scandrick - Out
Carroll - Played less than a half.
Awuzie - Barely played.
Frazier missed a few plays with some issue.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good to have you back!