Reviewing the 2005 draft

Scotman

Reaction score
First, let me start by saying that I do not claim to have the football IQ that most of you here have. But, I love the game and am ardent fan of the Cowboys.

So here goes, in order to address the concerns that seem to keep popping up about our first round picks' success, or lack thereof, I took a closer look at the 2005 draft. I still would suggest it is too early to judge the 2006 draft. Further, it must be understood that I am a Cowboys fan. I DO NOT follow other teams. So, there are players I know very little about who play on other teams. Your opinions will probably vary from mine and chances are, you're right and I'm wrong. I'm OK with that.

Our first round in 2005 featured two picks, Ware and Spears. Ware has been a beast but Spears has not lived up to the expectations of many fans. Some fans question the draft in 2005 as a result. After all, first round picks are supposed to make game changing plays. DEs should make sacks and TFL, CBs should get picks and QBs should thrown touchdowns. It's that simple. Lets look at the first round of the 2005 draft and how other teams fared with their picks.

2005 Draft 1st round

1 San Francisco Alex Smith - QB
Alex Smith is starting for the 2-7 49ers. He has a career passer rating of 63.5. He has thrown 19 career touchdowns and 31 career interceptions. Many are calling him a bust.

2 Miami Ronnie Brown - RB
Seems like a pretty good RB. Has rushed for 2500 yards and has another 900 in receiving yards. His yards per game have risen every year. Averages over 4 yards a carry.

3 Cleveland Braylon Edwards - WR

Much to the Cowboys distaste, this has been a good WR for the Browns this year. He averages about 16 yards a catch and has over 2200 receiving yards in his career.

4 Chicago Cedric Benson - RB
Has started 45 games in his career with an average of 3.8 yards a carry. Has rushed for a little over 1500 yards and has another 180 or so in receiving.

5 Tampa Bay Carnell Williams - RB
Out currently on IR with a right knee injury but has been a pretty good back. Has over 2100 yards in his career and almost another 300 in receiving yards. Still, he has only averaged 3.8 yards a carry.

6 Tennessee Adam Jones - CB
Tremendous pick if your wanting someone who will eventually start in a reality show scripted after the movie "The Longest Yard." He's not helping the Titans much this year.

7 Minnesota Troy Williamson - WR
Hasn't produced much over his career with only 1000 yards receiving. Has been a better kick off returner than receiver to this point. Created some controversy this year when he skipped a game to grieve the loss of a family member.

8 Arizona Antrelle Rolle - CB
Here's a corner who certainly had a great game recently with three picks in one game. However, he only has 5 career picks (including those 3).

9 Washington Carlos Rogers - CB
Out with an injury currently. Has produced only a few interceptions in his career.

10 Detroit Mike Williams - WR
The best pass Mike has caught was the bus pass to Oakland.

11 Demarcus Ware - DE/OLB

Could easily be argued the best pick to this point in the draft. Has almost 200 tackles in his career, 28.5 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and an interception for a touchdown.

12 San Diego Shawne Merriman - OLB
This is the guy many said we should have drafted. 160 total tackles, 32.5 sack, 7 forced fumbles and an interception. He has certainly been a force to be reckoned with. Yet his career also features a four game suspension for using a banned substance. Seems to have taken a step backwards this year.

13 New Orleans Jammal Brown - OT
Probowler who has suffered a couple of knee injuries. But really very good when healthy.

14 Carolina Thomas Davis - LB
Makes a lot of tackles but relatively few games changing plays. Has four sacks for his career, no picks and two forced fumbles.

15 Kansas City Derrick Johnson - OLB
Had a really good rookie year and posted about 90 tackles and a couple sacks. Struggled some with the scheme his second year but has picked it up again this year. Has 9.5 sacks for his career, 2 picks and 6 forced fumbles.

16 Houston Travis Johnson - DT
Admittedly, I don't know much about him. He has produced 50 tackles in his career, 1 sack and 1 interception.

17 Cincinnati David Pollack - DE
Broken neck and is out for 2007. May retire.

18 Minnesota Erasmus James - DE
Hasn't been the factor the Vikings wanted. Suffered a torn ACL last year and his working his way back this year. Has 5 sacks for his career.

19 St Louis Alex Barron - OT
Considered by many Rams fans a drive killer of epic proportions. They are hoping to draft Jake Long to replace him. Keep in mind he's playing on a line that has also employed Pettiti this year.

20 Dallas Marcus Spears - DE
Averages about 30 tackles a year, has 3.5 sacks and 1 forced fumbled. Seems tough against the run but leaves the fans wanting much more of a pass rush.

21 Jacksonville Matt Jones - WR
Has 1000 receiving yards for his career. Has simply become ineffective in Jacksonville. Inactive most of this season. Will most likely be released this offseason.

22 Baltimore Mark Clayton - WR
1700 yards for his career, 7 touchdowns and makes everyone just wish he could take it to the next level. Doesn't have enough to make a bad QB look good.

23 Oakland Fabian Washington - CB
97 tackles for his career. 4 picks for his career (all last year). Was injured some this year.

24 Green Bay Aaron Rogers - QB
Still playing behind Methuselah, I mean Favre.
Who knows as he really hasn't had much of a chance.

25 Washington Jason Campbell - QB
Career QB rating of 79, 57 percent passing completion, 21 TDs and 14 ints. Seems to really be coming on.

26 Seattle Chris Spencer - OC
Struggled some with a nagging shoulder injury but is the Seahawks' starter.

27 Atlanta Roddy White - WR
Seems to be getting a little more productive each year. Has 1600 receiving yards, and 5 touchdowns for his career. Also has 4 fumbles.

28 San Diego Luis Castillo - DT
Although currently fighting an ankle injury, Castillo has been very good. He has around 100 tackles, 12 sacks, 1 int and 1 forced fumble for his career.

29 Indianapolis Marlin Jackson - CB
Starting corner on a pretty good team. A couple hundred tackles, 3 interception and a forced fumbled highlight his career.

30 Pittsburgh Heath Miller - TE
Dang good TE and getting better. 17 TDs for his career and 1300 yards.

31 Philadelphia Mike Patterson - DT
Has had a very good third year and is coming on strong. Has lots of tackles and 7.5 sacks for his career.

32 New England Logan Mankins - OG
Starts at LG for an undefeated team. Don't know much about him.

In looking back at that first round, there are MANY misses, a few hits and a lot of players just about like Spears. Few, even on that first round list, compare favorably to Ware.

How about the rest of our draft that year?

Our 2005 Draft

1 11 Demarcus Ware DE Troy
STUD.

1 20 Marcus Spears DE LSU
Average player

2 42 Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee
Injury riddled player who seems to be getting better and better the longer he's healthy.

4 109 Marion Barber III RB Minnesota
Just a backup RB. :D

4 132 Chris Canty DE Virginia
Very solid and getting better and better. Slowly becoming what may hoped he would be.

6 208 Justin Beriault S Ball State
Likable kid who had his career ended by a terrible knee injury (or hip, can't remember).

6 209 Rob Petitti OT Pittsburgh
Fan favorite until we realized he really couldn't play. Still like the kid and glad he plays somewhere else.

7 224 Jay Ratliff DT Auburn
Are you kidding me? Perhaps the best pick in the draft when considering where he was taken.

That draft yielded 4 starters and a backup with more carries than the starter and a LB who may be the best pass coverage LB on the team.

I'd give this draft an A.

In retrospect, what do you think?

BigDave95

Reaction score
Great analysis. Thanks!!

Agree on the A for the Cowboys draft. That's got to be one of the best 2nd day drafts in the team's history. MB3, Canty, and Ratliff all on Day 2...impressive.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
The Justin Beriault injury hurts. That guy was going to be a good player for us and possibly a Safety that could cover.:eek:

slotshot

Reaction score
How I would love to switch that 1st round Spears pick with Castillo.

Eddie

Reaction score
slotshot;1781349 said:

Wasn't he busted in college for Pot or Juice? Something like that. BP took him off our board.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Nice review, well done.

I would give A- though, because of Spears. ;)

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
slotshot;1781349 said:

I wouldn't. You have to remember that Castillo joins Merriman in the "roider" category. He failed his test at the combine. You have to look at what a player does a few years after juicing. Does his body start to breakdown? I think we're seeing that with Castillo this season.

Eddie

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1781368 said:
I wouldn't. You have to remember that Castillo joins Merriman in the "roider" category. He failed his test at the combine. You have to look at what a player does a few years after juicing. Does his body start to breakdown? I think we're seeing that with Castillo this season.

Castillo was unfortunate to get busted. Considering the majority of the players in the NFL are on juice.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Eddie;1781373 said:
Castillo was unfortunate to get busted. Considering the majority of the players in the NFL are on juice.

I'd go with stupid over unfortunate.

Anyone who fails a drug test that they know about conceivably years in advance isn't unfortunate.

I doubt a "majority" of NFL players are roiding as we speak. A sizable minority, probably but I doubt it's quite that rampant.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
eduncan22;1781394 said:
It doesn't look good up to this point....

Those players are in their rookie season. Wake up for a change. No one in their right mind will judge any draft after 1 season. Your agenda once again raises it's ugly head.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Scotman;1781299 said:
21 Jacksonville Matt Jones - WR
Has 1000 receiving yards for his career. Has simply become ineffective in Jacksonville. Inactive most of this season. Will most likely be released this offseason.

I think that it is a safe bet to say that if Matt Jones is released that Jerry will put in a waiver claim on him.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1781389 said:
I'd go with stupid over unfortunate.

Anyone who fails a drug test that they know about conceivably years in advance isn't unfortunate.

I doubt a "majority" of NFL players are roiding as we speak. A sizable minority, probably but I doubt it's quite that rampant.

I would call him desperate before I'd call him stupid.

Castillo is an overachiever with a long history of injuries. He can be exceptional when he is on the field but he spends way too much time in the training room. His career will end early while Spears, though unspectacular, will continue to plod along at a solid pace.

Anyway, there are rarely any blue chippers after the 15th pick in the draft so I'd say he was a good pick.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1781400 said:
Those players are in their rookie season. Wake up for a change. No one in their right mind will judge any draft after 1 season. Your agenda once again raises it's ugly head.

There is one way to judge a draft after even less than 1 season.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that two aging veterans are having their best seasons in years after Dallas spent early picks on their "replacements"?

9-1.