Reviewing the 2005 draft

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1781429 said:
There is one way to judge a draft after even less than 1 season.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that two aging veterans are having their best seasons in years after Dallas spent early picks on their "replacements"?

9-1.

One way to look at it. However I was only referring to judging the talent.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1781430 said:
One way to look at it. However I was only referring to judging the talent.

I understand what you meant, I was just making an observation that is often overlooked.

The goal of drafting any player is to make the team better. Does drafting Free and Marten make Dallas better if they don't see the field for years but motivate Adams to be the player he can be?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1781437 said:
I understand what you meant, I was just making an observation that is often overlooked.

The goal of drafting any player is to make the team better. Does drafting Free and Marten make Dallas better if they don't see the field for years but motivate Adams to be the player he can be?

I agree. I don't know if that is the reason why Adams is playing well face it Flo career has been a series of ups and downs and as for Ellis he has been a solid player who I think is benefiting from having other talented players around him something he did not have much of for most of his career. I do love the fact that with Adams and Ellis having the season they are having that Dallas is not being forced to throw rookie players out there and can allow them some time to develop.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't think anyone questions that this was a good draft, despite the fact that SOME people think Spears is a poor player. This draft isn't the problem. The 2006 draft was just plain bad, however.

1 18 Bobby Carpenter LB

2 53 Anthony Fasano TE

3 92 Jason Hatcher DE

4 125 Skyler Green WR

5 138 Pat Watkins FS

6 182 Montavious Stanley DT

7 211 Pat McQuistan T

7 224 E.J. Whitley

This was the bad one. Absolutely 0 of of these players are starting, and the best player of the bunch is probably Pat Watkins. People talk about McQuistan being ready, but I doubt he's ready to do anything but backup and while Hatcher has had a few plays, we won't see much of him as long as Spears and Canty are around.

Then again, I'm probably one of those people that believes in drafting for starters/contributers and signing free agents for depth. Obviously in the 7th round you accept depth, but you'll rarely end up seeing what those players are capable of while you continue to pay their salary. With free agents, there's some tape to go on at least.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Canty is becoming one of my favorite players on defense (next to ware and newman).

burmafrd

Reaction score
Carp may be a bust. Time will tell. Fasano was drafted to be the 2nd TE and he is. Hatcher WAS coming on strong at the beginning of the season- but has disapeared. Green was a bust no argument. Watkins is playing a fair amount and has gotten better. Stanley a bust. McQ is the swing tackle and may be Adams replacement- extremely good pick for a SEVENTH RD. Whitley got injured.
Not a great draft but still better then a lot of drafts we had from 1996-2001
where we got like 2 starters in total.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
burmafrd;1781573 said:
Carp may be a bust. Time will tell. Fasano was drafted to be the 2nd TE and he is. Hatcher WAS coming on strong at the beginning of the season- but has disapeared. Green was a bust no argument. Watkins is playing a fair amount and has gotten better. Stanley a bust. McQ is the swing tackle and may be Adams replacement- extremely good pick for a SEVENTH RD. Whitley got injured.
Not a great draft but still better then a lot of drafts we had from 1996-2001
where we got like 2 starters in total.

Do you draft a TE in the second round to be the 2nd TE? I don't think so.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
TheCount;1781576 said:
Do you draft a TE in the second round to be the 2nd TE? I don't think so.

Fasano has been on the field a lot.

So you can argue he might not be productive enough for your standards but we have ran 2-TE sets frequently this season.

I believe Theo did a run down on this not too long ago breaking down the number of times we have ran each formation. The 2-TE sets were about 50%

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
smarta5150;1781583 said:
Fasano has been on the field a lot.

So you can argue he might not be productive enough for your standards but we have ran 2-TE sets frequently this season.

I believe Theo did a run down on this not too long ago breaking down the number of times we have ran each formation. The 2-TE sets were about 50%

Oh, I understand that. But do don't you think we could have gotten a guy to do what he's doing in the 3rd or 4th rounds? Or in FA?

I'm not saying we didn't need a second TE, but did we need one in the 2nd round?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Gee I wonder who is a fan and who is just an observer? You DO RECALL that BP wanted to run a 2 TE formation that year? And at that time we really only had Witten as a pass catching TE on the roster, right? So we NEEDED a SECOND PASS CATCHING TE. A really good one. And Fasano was the highest TE prospect left on the board. I hope that educated you.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
TheCount;1781594 said:
Oh, I understand that. But do you don't think we could have gotten a guy to do what he's doing in the 3rd or 4th rounds? Or in FA?

I'm not saying we didn't need a second TE, but did we need one in the 2nd round?

Very possible.

Especially with the talent we already have on offense it should have been assumed any average Joe TE could have took his place.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fasano is seeing playing time and right now I consider TE a position of strenght and solid depth for the Cowboys. God forbid Witten were to miss time but if he does I do think Fasano and Curtis can continue providing quality play at the TE spot for Dallas.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
burmafrd;1781597 said:
Gee I wonder who is a fan and who is just an observer? You DO RECALL that BP wanted to run a 2 TE formation that year? And at that time we really only had Witten as a pass catching TE on the roster, right? So we NEEDED a SECOND PASS CATCHING TE. A really good one. And Fasano was the highest TE prospect left on the board. I hope that educated you.

Thanks for stating the obvious. And that would make perfect sense if not for the fact that the guy only caught 14 passes that year.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Yeah, it could have been a whole helluva lot worse. Is there any truth to BP wanting Spears at 11?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Mr Count, you draft for what you want and need. How you use it is then up to how things go. He was drafted since it was EXPECTED that we would be doing max protect for BLEDSOE. Turns out that did not happen much after the first few games. Hindsight is always 20/20. Its also a totally worthless excercise.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1781368 said:
I wouldn't. You have to remember that Castillo joins Merriman in the "roider" category. He failed his test at the combine. You have to look at what a player does a few years after juicing. Does his body start to breakdown? I think we're seeing that with Castillo this season.
Castillo tested positive for a legal over the counter substance.(I forget the name) Its banned by the league but perfectly legal. Its more of a minimum benefit type and is used for speeding up the healing process.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
burmafrd;1781773 said:
Mr Count, you draft for what you want and need. How you use it is then up to how things go. He was drafted since it was EXPECTED that we would be doing max protect for BLEDSOE. Turns out that did not happen much after the first few games. Hindsight is always 20/20. Its also a totally worthless excercise.

Captain Burmafrd, I am aware of how the draft works. I am also aware of the fact that Bledsoe sucked. You do not draft a TE to protect better, you draft or attain better linemen for that, hence why it was a dumb decision if that in fact was the rational.

Fasano came out of Notre Dame as one of the best TE's in college football, and it was believed at the time that he would be a better blocker than Witten (who has developed into a fine blocker, btw) in addition to his ability to catch the ball. Well, after that didn't work out, Parcels decided to try using the guy in the backfield like a damn FB, and when THAT didn't work, we went back to using a real FB (and by "real FB", I mean linebacker turned FB)

I am not saying Fasano is a flop, he just doesn't have a place on our team, which is why it was a stupid pick. We certainly had greater needs at the time than 2nd TE.