Revisiting Free Agency Next Year

John813

Reaction score
I think one thing to think about TE is the learning curve it has for the NFL. It's very rare to see even top drafted TEs perform at a high level right away. Let alone mid round picks.

Luckily, if Dallas doesn't re-sign Schultz due to a bigger deal offered elsewhere they still have Jarwin and McKeon to fall back on. But imo the team would like to keep Schultz unless he prices himself off their target range.

exciter

Reaction score
There are 206 bones in the human body. I'm sure Tyron will find another bone/muscle to injure and miss games. 2nd round draft pick needs to be LT, I don't see a decent one in free agency.
Lol, you do realize (of course not) that Lael Collins has missed more games in 6 1/2 seasons than Tyron has in 10 1/2??? Regardless, the 2nd round pick needs to be a RB that can actually run between the tackles and actually pass protect. We took our backup tackle last year with the man child Ball!

Sandyf

Reaction score
First things first, the salary cap will be going to $208 million for 2022 and expected to go to $230 million in 2023.

2022 FREE AGENTS that stand best chance of resigning. Depending on the contract these will be the best bets although not all of them will get resigned.

• WR Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson - Gallup probably iffy but then draft has to provide a speedy guy
  • TE Dalton Schultz - thinking they could cut Jarwin since dead cap would only be $2 million
  • DE Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong - believe Dallas will have inside track at team friendly contracts for both
  • DT Brent Urban, Carlos Watkins - probably get both for little over vet minimum
  • LB LVE, Keanu Neal, Luke Gifford - LVE only if a vet minimum contract, same for Gifford, Quinn will keep Neal
  • S Jayron Kearse, Demontae Kazee, Malik Hooker - don't see all three but Kearse and then either Kazee or Hooker
  • ST Brian Anger, Jake McQuaide - doubt we move on from either
2022 TOP SALARY Most likely to be restructured: Whether we like it or not there will be restuctures and these 4 almost surely will be possibly adding $37 million to the cap and along with cutting a few players would add about a total of $45 million to the cap.
  1. Dak $34.5m
  2. Tank $27m
  3. Coop $22m
  4. Zack Martin $20.2m
2022 TOP 100 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS BY POSITION COUNT: Likely to be top four rounds for us to chose.
  • WR - if we do not resign Gallup this moves to first three rounds
  • RB - Pollard under contract through 2022 so unless they are going to trade Zeke (unlikely due to cap hit) or get great offer for Pollard doubt we go there
  • TE - one of the top guys in the draft would have to be a value they couldn't pass on
  • G/C/OT - need to be on look out for LT to replace Smith in next year or two, if OC from Iowa falls to us they will take him, they like Alarcon at OG next year
  • Edge - if Gregory not resigned then it is a problem and becomes a priority but could see one in 2nd or 3rd round
  • DT - doubt if we see one before 5th round
  • LB - will Parsons and Cox coming back not sure as big a priority
  • S - sure if by a miracle Hamilton falls out of the top fifteen then Dallas should move up to get him
2022 TOP FREE AGENTS IN COWBOYS POSITIONS OF NEED: Based on the last few years the odds of Dallas spending money on any big time free agent other than our own is like believing WORLD PEACE is going to happen by March 1st 2022. They will sign a number of free agents at vet minimum or slightly above.

2022 Draftees that I would like to see Dallas get, i.e. 4 or 5 of these, this is subject to change once we see who is actually in the draft.

• Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame
  • Jaxson Kirkland OT Washington
  • Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa
  • Jameson Williams WR Alabama
  • John Metchie III WR Alabama
  • Sam Laporta TE Iowa
  • Myjai Sanders DE Cincinnati
  • Devin Lloyd LB Utah
  • Christian Harris LB Alabama
  • Tyler Davis DT Clemson
  • Jarret Patterson DT Notre Dame
  • Jaquan Brisker S Penn St

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When there is a cap in place it is all of our concern how the team spends it's money...
Yeah ...why worry about thing you can't control? Enjoy the team and season and stop crying about things you have ZERO control of...that's the way I see it....bit, if you want to lose sleep over it ....that's you're business....just my thoughts, you be you...salud!

Creeper

Reaction score
DALLAS COWBOYS ON PACE TO BE -$12M CAP SPACE IN 2022 (3rd Worst)

2022 FREE AGENTS (Sample cap hits below of potential big contracts)

• QB none
  • RB Corey Clement
  • TE Dalton Schultz
  • (Top 10 TEs NFL 2021 Cap Hits $5.8-$8m)
  • WR Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson, Noah Brown, Malik Turner
  • (Top 20 WRs NFL 2021 Cap Hits $6.5-$22mm)
  • G/C Connor Williams
  • (Top 10 Gs NFL 2021 Cap Hit $7.7-$18.8m)
  • OT Ty Nsekhe

• DE Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong
  • (Top 5 EDGEs NFL 2021 Cap Hit $20-$25m)
  • DT Brent Urban, Carlos Watkins
  • LB LVE, Keanu Neal, Luke Gifford
  • S Jayron Kearse, Demontae Kazee, Malik Hooker
  • (Top 5 Ss NFL 2021 Cap Hit $10-$20m)
  • CB Maurice Canady

• ST Brian Anger, Jake McQuaide
  • (Top 5 P NFL 2021 cap hit $2-$4m, Top 5 LS cap hit $1-$1.5m)

2022 TOP SALARY CAP HITS:
  1. Dak $34.5m
  2. Tank $27m
  3. Coop $22m
  4. Zack Martin $20.2m
  5. Zeek $18.2m
  6. Tyron Smith $17m
  7. Lael Collins $15.2m
  8. Anthony Brown $6.5m
  9. Blake Jarwin $6.2m
  10. Jourdan Lewis $4.7m
  11. Micah Parsons $3.9m
  12. CeeDee Lamb $3.8m
  13. Terrell Basham $3m
  14. Greg Zuerlein $2.8m

2022 TOP 100 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS BY POSITION COUNT:
  • QB 7
  • WR 15
  • RB 7
  • TE 3
  • G/C 5
  • OT 13
  • EDGE 16
  • DT 5
  • LBs 8
  • S 8
  • CB 14
  • K/P 0

2022 TOP FREE AGENTS IN COWBOYS POSITIONS OF NEED:

• OT (Tyron Smith's injuries) Terron Armstead, Orlando Brown Jr.
  • EDGE (if lose Gregory and/or Tank) Chandler Jones, Von Miller, Jadeveon Clowney
  • DT Akiem Hicks
  • WR (if lose Gallup and/or Coop) Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, Courtland Sutton
  • TE (if lose Schultz) Mike Gisecki
  • S (if lose Kearse and Kazee) Marcus Williams, Jesse Bates, Tyrann Mattheiu
  • Even if Cowboys cut Zeke's contract, Pollard is a good RB replacement, so didn't include RBs.
  • No idea on how many journeymen will be available at each position.

You are not factoring in the rookie pool. The Cowboys will be closer to $19 million over the cap than $12 million.

So before we start talking about who they sign, we need to talk about how they get under the CAP. Let's start with restructures.

Lawrence is due $19 million in salary with $8 million prorated bonus for a $27 million CAP hit. If they choose to restructure him they can spread out hi converted bonus for only 3 years. Still, but converting $12 million of his salary to bonus they can cut his CAP impact to $19 million and shave $8 million off the CAP. But his 2023 CAP number goes up to $33 million. They could also give him a new contract and extend him for a few more years allowing them to spread the restructure out over more years. Lawrence will be 30 years old next year.

Then there is Cooper. He is the most tempting restructure deal. Cooper is due $20 million in salary with $2 million per year in prorated bonus for a $22 million CAP hit. His contract also goes out to 2024. So his restructure would also get spread out over 3 years. If they convert $18 million of his salary to bonus they cut his CAP impact to $10 million in 2022 saving $12 million. Cooper's 2023 CAP impact goes from $22 million to $30 million.

So Tank and Cooper get them under the CAP. But both will become big problems in 2023 and 2024 and Cutting them becomes more problematic too because the new pro-rated bonus amounts will mean a lot of dead money.

Cutting Zeke in 2022 even after June 1 gets them nothing in 2022 CAP savings. He is due $12 million in salary so even a restructure doesn't buy them a whole lot. But cutting Zeke in 2023 gets them over $10 million in CAP space to help pay for Coop and DLaw.

They can also restructure Dak and save money.

The can also be more aggressive in their restructures if they choose and save even more money but the more aggressive they are the more the problem grows in 2023.

IMO, they will be able to sign only 1 of their top free agents. The question is who should it be? Gregory? Gallup? I say Gregory because I think Gallup would be easier to replace with a rookie. I love Gallup but he is going to be expensive. So is Kearse who has played himself into a pretty good contract with someone. Then again Gregory may want DLaw money. It is not what we think he is worth, it is what some team might, and probably will, offer him. Gregory will probably get $18 million on the market, at least. I don't think Dallas can afford than in 2022.

I hate to say it but Dallas is going to need another great draft in 2022 and they will be depending on rookies and other young players to carry the team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This bring me back my original question.........Can we afford to tag Gregory ($16M) and bring DLaw back w/o restructuring? ( kicking his deal further down the road)

I'd go as far as saying that we wouldnt be able to afford both Gregory and DLaw, regardless of restructuring. $16M Tag is offset withe the DLaw $19m Cap saving by releasing him.

This is the time to make those hard decisions and remove loyalty from decision making, it started with Jaylon and will hopefully continue with LVE and La'el.

Then with the 2022 CAP deficit at the moment we have to make the either or decisions:
Gallup or Coop
Pollard or Zeke (though we'd have to bite the bullet and release him in 2023)
Gregory or DLaw

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Of course we have so many good players that are having expired contracts. Going to be tough. Real tough.

Definitely agree with retaining Gregory and Kearse.

At first I was Ok with letting Gallup walk as I thought Wilson was the plan. Don't get me wrong, I like Wilson a lot, however, he seems to be best in a situational role. Gallup balls out. Would really like to find a way to keep him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
First things first, the salary cap will be going to $208 million for 2022 and expected to go to $230 million in 2023.

2022 FREE AGENTS that stand best chance of resigning. Depending on the contract these will be the best bets although not all of them will get resigned.

• WR Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson - Gallup probably iffy but then draft has to provide a speedy guy
  • TE Dalton Schultz - thinking they could cut Jarwin since dead cap would only be $2 million
  • DE Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong - believe Dallas will have inside track at team friendly contracts for both
  • DT Brent Urban, Carlos Watkins - probably get both for little over vet minimum
  • LB LVE, Keanu Neal, Luke Gifford - LVE only if a vet minimum contract, same for Gifford, Quinn will keep Neal
  • S Jayron Kearse, Demontae Kazee, Malik Hooker - don't see all three but Kearse and then either Kazee or Hooker
  • ST Brian Anger, Jake McQuaide - doubt we move on from either
2022 TOP SALARY Most likely to be restructured: Whether we like it or not there will be restuctures and these 4 almost surely will be possibly adding $37 million to the cap and along with cutting a few players would add about a total of $45 million to the cap.
  1. Dak $34.5m
  2. Tank $27m
  3. Coop $22m
  4. Zack Martin $20.2m
2022 TOP 100 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS BY POSITION COUNT: Likely to be top four rounds for us to chose.
  • WR - if we do not resign Gallup this moves to first three rounds
  • RB - Pollard under contract through 2022 so unless they are going to trade Zeke (unlikely due to cap hit) or get great offer for Pollard doubt we go there
  • TE - one of the top guys in the draft would have to be a value they couldn't pass on
  • G/C/OT - need to be on look out for LT to replace Smith in next year or two, if OC from Iowa falls to us they will take him, they like Alarcon at OG next year
  • Edge - if Gregory not resigned then it is a problem and becomes a priority but could see one in 2nd or 3rd round
  • DT - doubt if we see one before 5th round
  • LB - will Parsons and Cox coming back not sure as big a priority
  • S - sure if by a miracle Hamilton falls out of the top fifteen then Dallas should move up to get him
2022 TOP FREE AGENTS IN COWBOYS POSITIONS OF NEED: Based on the last few years the odds of Dallas spending money on any big time free agent other than our own is like believing WORLD PEACE is going to happen by March 1st 2022. They will sign a number of free agents at vet minimum or slightly above.

2022 Draftees that I would like to see Dallas get, i.e. 4 or 5 of these, this is subject to change once we see who is actually in the draft.

• Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame
    • Jaxson Kirkland OT Washington
    • Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa
    • Jameson Williams WR Alabama
    • John Metchie III WR Alabama
    • Sam Laporta TE Iowa
    • Myjai Sanders DE Cincinnati
    • Devin Lloyd LB Utah
    • Christian Harris LB Alabama
    • Tyler Davis DT Clemson
    • Jarret Patterson DT Notre Dame
    • Jaquan Brisker S Penn St

One draft player I'd add to your is Jermaine Johnson, DE Florida State........for some reason most mocks grading him as 2nd round but his stats/numbers are actually just as good as Hutchinson and Thibodeuax. What's even more impressive to me is he improved every year, not just a one or two year wonder.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4567962/jermaine-johnson

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4372099/aidan-hutchinson

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4426326/kayvon-thibodeaux

Jarntt

Reaction score
Yeah ...why worry about thing you can't control? Enjoy the team and season and stop crying about things you have ZERO control of...that's the way I see it....bit, if you want to lose sleep over it ....that's you're business....just my thoughts, you be you...salud!
That doesn't make any sense. Why even be a fan then or ever post on a message board about anything about the team or even bother watching the games since you don't control those? As fans we want what is best for the team which absolutely includes the players we acquire or keep and with limited cap dollars every dollar you spend on player A isn't available to spend on player B.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That doesn't make any sense. Why even be a fan then or ever post on a message board about anything about the team or even bother watching the games since you don't control those? As fans we want what is best for the team which absolutely includes the players we acquire or keep and with limited cap dollars every dollar you spend on player A isn't available to spend on player B.
:lmao2::lmao2:you guys crack me up!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Releasing Lawrence creates $8M in cap savings but also escalates $19M in dead money ($27M cap hit for 2022) so I do not see Lawrence leaving until after the 2022 season (Dallas would save $18M against 2023 salary cap with $11M in dead money).

If Dallas makes an effort to re-sign either or both Gallup & Schultz then Amari Cooper might be in trouble as he will only have $6M in dead money remaining after this season and his trade/release would save Dallas $16M against the 2022 cap (with $22M saved in both 2023 and 2024) which would be enough to re-sign BOTH Gallup & Schultz should Dallas choose to go that route.
I strongly believe releasing Amari Cooper, saving $16 mil against the 2022 cap (with $22M saved in both 2023 and 2024) which would be enough to re-sign BOTH Gallup & Schultz...as you mentioned...is definitely the way the Cowboys will go, especially since the Cowboys refused to restructure Amari Cooper’s contract this year, thus showing that is the way they are leaning to doing after this season. A lot of fans will be upset, but lack of affordability most definitely will come into play for Amari Cooper. This season most likely is Cooper's last year in Dallas, especially since cutting him creates capspace room for the Cowboys to resign both Gallup and Schultz.

As for D-Lawrence, wouldn't making him a post June 1st cut save the Cowboys more capspace money than the $8 million you mentioned? If so, D-Law might get cut as well in order to create more space to resign Gregory. No way will the Cowboys keep D-Lawrence over Gregory if they had to make a choice, which will most likely force the Cowboys to play Micah Parsons more as an Edge rushing DE to compensate for D-Law's cutting.

Yes, I definitely expect to see a lot of fans upset if both Cooper and Lawrence become offseason cuts, but the Cowboys need to make drastic cuts to create space to keep younger talent intact.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I strongly believe releasing Amari Cooper, saving $16 mil against the 2022 cap (with $22M saved in both 2023 and 2024) which would be enough to re-sign BOTH Gallup & Schultz...as you mentioned...is definitely the way the Cowboys will go, especially since the Cowboys refused to restructure Amari Cooper’s contract this year, thus showing that is the way they are leaning to doing after this season. A lot of fans will be upset, but lack of affordability most definitely will come into play for Amari Cooper. This season most likely is Cooper's last year in Dallas, especially since cutting him creates capspace room for the Cowboys to resign both Gallup and Schultz.

As for D-Lawrence, wouldn't making him a post June 1st cut save the Cowboys more capspace money than the $8 million you mentioned? If so, D-Law might get cut as well in order to create more space to resign Gregory. No way will the Cowboys keep D-Lawrence over Gregory if they had to make a choice, which will most likely force the Cowboys to play Micah Parsons more as an Edge rushing DE to compensate for D-Law's cutting.

Yes, I definitely expect to see a lot of fans upset if both Cooper and Lawrence become offseason cuts, but the Cowboys need to make drastic cuts to create space to keep younger talent intact.
Honestly, I'd rather keep Cooper than Dak....Cooper is a special player....