Revisiting Free Agency Next Year

stiletto

Reaction score
I strongly believe releasing Amari Cooper, saving $16 mil against the 2022 cap (with $22M saved in both 2023 and 2024) which would be enough to re-sign BOTH Gallup & Schultz...as you mentioned...is definitely the way the Cowboys will go, especially since the Cowboys refused to restructure Amari Cooper’s contract this year, thus showing that is the way they are leaning to doing after this season. A lot of fans will be upset, but lack of affordability most definitely will come into play for Amari Cooper. This season most likely is Cooper's last year in Dallas, especially since cutting him creates capspace room for the Cowboys to resign both Gallup and Schultz.

As for D-Lawrence, wouldn't making him a post June 1st cut save the Cowboys more capspace money than the $8 million you mentioned? If so, D-Law might get cut as well in order to create more space to resign Gregory. No way will the Cowboys keep D-Lawrence over Gregory if they had to make a choice, which will most likely force the Cowboys to play Micah Parsons more as an Edge rushing DE to compensate for D-Law's cutting.

Yes, I definitely expect to see a lot of fans upset if both Cooper and Lawrence become offseason cuts, but the Cowboys need to make drastic cuts to create space to keep younger talent intact.

Cooper isn't getting cut....he may get a restructure to save on the cap. They'd be better off getting out of the DLaw and Zeke contracts. It's pretty clear that the offense needs Cooper, he may be expensive but it is a necessary evil.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cooper isn't getting cut....he may get a restructure to save on the cap. They'd be better off getting out of the DLaw and Zeke contracts. It's pretty clear that the offense needs Cooper, he may be expensive but it is a necessary evil.
Just wait and watch...:popcorn:

stiletto

Reaction score
Just wait and watch...:popcorn:

I think we've argued this before and I'll be right again. If Cooper goes, it will be DAK's call and I am pretty sure Dak will want Cooper around at all costs... Coop and CeeDee for as long as possible!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think we've argued this before and I'll be right again. If Cooper goes, it will be DAK's call and I am pretty sure Dak will want Cooper around at all costs... Coop and CeeDee for as long as possible!
Argued before? When have you been right? :huh:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry loves his receivers. I would imagine we’ll see Coop around at least one more year. Coop doesn’t give you top of the league numbers, but he still has top of the league skills. Although this year has certainly been trying with his hammy injury and then the other thing we’re not allowed to talk about. A lot of cap space for someone who’s not producing as hoped. I would say CeeDee’s performance determines Coop’s worth but I think that’s an old school mindset and need to be open to 2 high paid WRs in today’s league.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
I think your outlook is pretty accurate, but don't think we are going to be able to keep everyone:

-Gregory/Kearse are the priorities from me
-There is no chance DLaw plays on that 27 million number, extend him and spread out the money
-If I had to choose, much rather keep Cooper over Gallup, don't think they will be able to keep both. 16 million for a #3 WR too expensive.
-Must decide if Wilson or Noah Brown are worth 5 million or more players, Cooper's contract needs to be restructued.
-Shultz play has really tailed off, resigning him is all about price. Think McKeon can replace Shultz. Jarwin needs to be released, need in the draft.
-Do believe Collins either is a june 1st cut or gets traded in the offseason, Steele is our new RT.
-Don't think either Kazee/Hooker have done enough to warrant a multi year extension, fine bringing them back on another low level 1 yr deal.
-Lve/Neal can leave via fa, neither has earned an extension. Need to sign a veteran and target one in the draft.
-If the team does lose Connor Williams and Collins, they need to add more depth via the draft.

Draft needs in no particular order, not all will get addressed: G/T, WR, TE,DT, DE, LB, FS.

To me LB, S and OL are the top priorities.
:hammer:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
DALLAS COWBOYS ON PACE TO BE -$12M CAP SPACE IN 2022 (3rd Worst)

2022 FREE AGENTS (Sample cap hits below of potential big contracts)

• QB none
  • RB Corey Clement
  • TE Dalton Schultz
  • (Top 10 TEs NFL 2021 Cap Hits $5.8-$8m)
  • WR Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson, Noah Brown, Malik Turner
  • (Top 20 WRs NFL 2021 Cap Hits $6.5-$22mm)
  • G/C Connor Williams
  • (Top 10 Gs NFL 2021 Cap Hit $7.7-$18.8m)
  • OT Ty Nsekhe

• DE Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong
  • (Top 5 EDGEs NFL 2021 Cap Hit $20-$25m)
  • DT Brent Urban, Carlos Watkins
  • LB LVE, Keanu Neal, Luke Gifford
  • S Jayron Kearse, Demontae Kazee, Malik Hooker
  • (Top 5 Ss NFL 2021 Cap Hit $10-$20m)
  • CB Maurice Canady

• ST Brian Anger, Jake McQuaide
  • (Top 5 P NFL 2021 cap hit $2-$4m, Top 5 LS cap hit $1-$1.5m)

2022 TOP SALARY CAP HITS:
  1. Dak $34.5m
  2. Tank $27m
  3. Coop $22m
  4. Zack Martin $20.2m
  5. Zeek $18.2m
  6. Tyron Smith $17m
  7. Lael Collins $15.2m
  8. Anthony Brown $6.5m
  9. Blake Jarwin $6.2m
  10. Jourdan Lewis $4.7m
  11. Micah Parsons $3.9m
  12. CeeDee Lamb $3.8m
  13. Terrell Basham $3m
  14. Greg Zuerlein $2.8m

2022 TOP 100 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS BY POSITION COUNT:
  • QB 7
  • WR 15
  • RB 7
  • TE 3
  • G/C 5
  • OT 13
  • EDGE 16
  • DT 5
  • LBs 8
  • S 8
  • CB 14
  • K/P 0

2022 TOP FREE AGENTS IN COWBOYS POSITIONS OF NEED:

• OT (Tyron Smith's injuries) Terron Armstead, Orlando Brown Jr.
  • EDGE (if lose Gregory and/or Tank) Chandler Jones, Von Miller, Jadeveon Clowney
  • DT Akiem Hicks
  • WR (if lose Gallup and/or Coop) Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, Courtland Sutton
  • TE (if lose Schultz) Mike Gisecki
  • S (if lose Kearse and Kazee) Marcus Williams, Jesse Bates, Tyrann Mattheiu
  • Even if Cowboys cut Zeke's contract, Pollard is a good RB replacement, so didn't include RBs.
  • No idea on how many journeymen will be available at each position.

Im targeting Gregory and Kearse.

Love to cut Zeke and Brown. Too bad its not feasible with Zeke.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Better to just let the season play out and then evaluate everyone afterwards...including coaches.

Ton of football left and we'll see who either brings it or disappears when it counts the most.