Revisiting Rashaun Slater Tackle Northwestern

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think Surtain is the safest defensive pick. I just wonder in Quinn’s 4/3 defense if drafting a cornerback high is necessary. The corners in Quinn’s defense are protected by the safeties. We could draft a traits corner in the second or 3rd round. The defense probably needs more beef up front, a pass rusher, safety and a good linebacker more.

Safety helps corner and all defenses not just cover three. You can argue that with two high safeties you get more help from them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If they expect both to return at full health, they probably go in another direction and address the need late day 2, early day 3. If they have any concerns, Tackle could very well be in play. The hope is that they know everything prior to the draft.
Yeah if the take tackle I'd like to think that says they must think we will be down with Collins or Tyron next year. And if that's the case I can understand it.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
So you like Surtain over Farley???????

I have a hunch he's going to blow up the combines with his speed......

Surtain over Farley and it's not even close. I'll take the technician who was the best at his position against the best competition over the better athlete any day. Farley may become a great one, or he may never play a full 16. There's very little tape and what there is isn't close to the level of Surtain's competition or play. Too many questions to take him at #10. Surtains play in the college playoffs should have the #1 corner spot on lock down.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Surtain over Farley and it's not even close. I'll take the technician who was the best at his position against the best competition over the better athlete any day. Farley may become a great one, or he may never play a full 16. There's very little tape and what there is isn't close to the level of Surtain's competition or play. Too many questions to take him at #10. Surtains play in the college playoffs should have the #1 corner spot on lock down.

It's not even close? Perfectly fine if you prefer Surtain to Farley but "it's not even close" is outrageous. It's not like Farley is just a good athlete learning to play the position...he was a lock down CB in his last year and he's clearly a better athlete.

Per PFF: "Farley allowed only 18 catches on 50 targets all season long for 257 yards. In his final three games, he allowed one catch on eight targets for four yards with a pick and a pass breakup. For the year, he allowed a passer rating against of 26.8 (that’s lower than spiking the ball every snap) and earned a coverage grade of 90.5."

It's not even close?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It's not even close? Perfectly fine if you prefer Surtain to Farley but "it's not even close" is outrageous. It's not like Farley is just a good athlete learning to play the position...he was a lock down CB in his last year and he's clearly a better athlete.

Per PFF: "Farley allowed only 18 catches on 50 targets all season long for 257 yards. In his final three games, he allowed one catch on eight targets for four yards with a pick and a pass breakup. For the year, he allowed a passer rating against of 26.8 (that’s lower than spiking the ball every snap) and earned a coverage grade of 90.5."

It's not even close?

So, I'm allowed to have an opinion as long as it's similar enough to yours? Lol OK

No, I don't think it's close. One good season against meh completion with a lengthy injury history, or several good seasons against the best players in the country and no injury concerns. That's not a remotely close argument for me.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So, I'm allowed to have an opinion as long as it's similar enough to yours? Lol OK

No, I don't think it's close. One good season against meh completion with a lengthy injury history, or several good seasons against the best players in the country and no injury concerns. That's not a remotely close argument for me.

Having differing opinions is fine...even if it's different than mine but I just highlighted data and there's loads of tape on Farley showcasing elite traits. They're also extremely close on most boards out there so this isn't a my opinion thing.

If you have injury concerns that's one thing but to say "it's not close" because of the conference they play in with no statistical data to back your claims is an extreme exaggeration.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Having differing opinions is fine...even if it's different than mine but I just highlighted data and there's loads of tape on Farley showcasing elite traits. They're also extremely close on most boards out there so this isn't a my opinion thing.

If you have injury concerns that's one thing but to say "it's not close" because of the conference they play in with no statistical data to back your claims is an extreme exaggeration.

I dont think you understand how opinions work. I'm allowed to have an opinion even if it's not the same as yours, the experts, or anyone else's really.

I dont think Farley sniffs Surtain's jock. No, I don't think it's close. You don't have to like it, but that's your issue. I also don't have to provide you statistical data. I watched Surtain. I watched him lock down for two years. I watched him lock down in the best conference in the country for two years. I watched him take away half the field in the Championship game. I watched him do all that from my couch, the same as Farley.

You guys who get all butthurt and pissy because someone disagrees with your armchair analysis really need therapists for your ego issues.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I dont think you understand how opinions work. I'm allowed to have an opinion even if it's not the same as yours, the experts, or anyone else's really.

I dont think Farley sniffs Surtain's jock. No, I don't think it's close. You don't have to like it, but that's your issue. I also don't have to provide you statistical data. I watched Surtain. I watched him lock down for two years. I watched him lock down in the best conference in the country for two years. I watched him take away half the field in the Championship game. I watched him do all that from my couch, the same as Farley.

You guys who get all butthurt and pissy because someone disagrees with your armchair analysis really need therapists for your ego issues.

Woah...sorry to strike a nerve there pal. As long as you acknowledge this is just your opinion we’re all set. I enjoy differing opinions - it’s what makes the boards fun.

For most everyone else out there it’s a lot closer than you think.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Slater is a good player, but he's a tackle in a guards body. Give me Leatherwood any day over Slater. And, honestly, I like Leatherwood over Sewell, too. He's a complete blocker who has elite strength and movement skills. He can maul or play finesse, zone schemes. He can play both sides of the line. He out flanks speed rushers with length and athleticism while mauling inside moves with strength, tenacity, and anger.

Thank you....People who think Slater is a tackle...better look him up. :popcorn:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah if the take tackle I'd like to think that says they must think we will be down with Collins or Tyron next year. And if that's the case I can understand it.

At this time, we have no idea the future health status of either player. Many might see it more as a luxury at this point to draft another Tackle, but good teams foresee issues before they happen. It's not often they have a top 10 pick, where teams almost have to secure their blindside protectors. I don't know if I would even have the guts taking a Tackle over the top defensive player, but the team also has 9 other picks to address the defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At this time, we have no idea the future health status of either player. Many might see it more as a luxury at this point to draft another Tackle, but good teams foresee issues before they happen. It's not often they have a top 10 pick, where teams almost have to secure their blindside protectors. I don't know if I would even have the guts taking a Tackle over the top defensive player, but the team also has 9 other picks to address the defense.

That’s fine for seeing the future on potential holes but they need to deal with the present Holes they have before they do that.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

It's not even close?
I think after they both test out, many will have Farley ahead of all the corners in this class. He possesses all the elite traits, which no other corner does. The issue with Farley is that is more of a 1yr wonder, young at the position with some durability concerns.

bodi

Reaction score
Slater is a good player, but he's a tackle in a guards body. Give me Leatherwood any day over Slater. And, honestly, I like Leatherwood over Sewell, too. He's a complete blocker who has elite strength and movement skills. He can maul or play finesse, zone schemes. He can play both sides of the line. He out flanks speed rushers with length and athleticism while mauling inside moves with strength, tenacity, and anger.

and Leatherwood looks like he has bulked up muscle wise esp in the arms - he kinda reminds me of T Smith when he came out

I d have no problem taking Christian Darrisaw*, OT, Virginia Tech if he is a true 6-5

currently ranks No. 18 overall on Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest Big Board and No. 2 among all offensive tackles.

Last edited:

timb2

Reaction score
Alex Leatherwood is the safest pick of Leatherwood,Darrisaw,and Slater ..I need more film on Slater than one great game againist Chase Young. I also see a OG in Slater not a,LT.....Darrisaw has good feet but hasn't touch the competition of Alex Leatherwood has faced. OUTSIDE possibility is Trey Smith LT Tennessee at 6-6,330lbs.Big strong looking fully grown.Just played on a bad team, not his fault.... Now if no LT in the 1st round, I see good stuff in James Hudson from Cincinnati maybe as a 3rd round pick......Late round maybe,D'Ante Smith OT East Carolina. Good athlete just needs some work on technique

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
the more i read about this cat the more i like.
he can play T or G.
tremendous strength.
some talk about his short arms but it doesn't seem to be an issue at all.
i'd love this pick.
i'm starting to wonder if he'll be there.
but if he is...i have 0 problem turning in his card.
if Tyron or La'el suddenly retire...we're set.
if they both are ready and healthy...he can slide into the OG spot and get his feet wet til a spot at OT opens up.

cowboyec

Reaction score
another o-lineman i like is ohio state's wyatt davis.
he is a guard who some think can be a tackle.
i'd have 0 problem with him,either.
love his game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think after they both test out, many will have Farley ahead of all the corners in this class. He possesses all the elite traits, which no other corner does. The issue with Farley is that is more of a 1yr wonder, young at the position with some durability concerns.

Very well could be...I think they’re very close and it’s going to come down to teams preference/scheme too.

Johnny23

Reaction score

Chris Olave a stud wr just decided to go back to school after being locked down with a gun by Surtain, Jr. I take him at 10 without hesitation. If he's depending on his pro day. If not brother I am considering Leatherwood or any of the other tackles because they're so bust proof.