Revisiting the 1989 Draft. Aikman vs Barry Sanders, Deion, & Derrick Thomas

joseephuss

Reaction score
If you believe Jimmys words, the only player considered other than Aikman was Mandarich, and that never got serious.

He did however hedge his bet with Walsh, because he knew he needed the QB, and it cost him the top pick in the next draft, which could have been Junior Seau or Derrick Thomas, but it all worked out I’d say.
Probably would have been Cortez Kennedy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
At the time, Troy Aikman was the highest rated QB to ever enter the
NFL Draft (tied with John Elway).
Exactly. Aikman would have been no matter who had the #1 pick that season. He was going to be the Cowboys choice even if Jerry Jones had not purchased the team. Schramm and Landry were gearing up to draft Aikman. He is exactly the type of QB Landry loved. Big, strong armed guy who would stand tall in the pocket and sling it.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Is there really a wrong pick there excluding Mandarich? Aikman and the remaining 3 are GOATs(or at least in the discussion) at their respective positions.
Only one true leader in that bunch though.
That's what was needed.

1942willys

Reaction score
At the time, Troy Aikman was the highest rated QB to ever enter the
NFL Draft (tied with John Elway).
Yep. For those children not being able to comprehend that, not even Andrew Luck was rated as highly. And you SHOULD remember all the hype about him.

vlad

Reaction score
In all In for Troy. Idk how anyone could think otherwise tbh but we are all have our opinions. Idk the Barry had the toughness to be a power runner like Emmitt could. I think that was crucial to the success of that team. Rick Gosselin wrote an article i can never find that those teams were pad dominant first half to get a lead and run dominant power team to close it out. It’s what i think Garrett was trying to replicate

The reason I’m replying is my disdain for this “Great Wall” moniker which was never a thing until some nfl films special like decades later (i think )

Iirc Hansen, Sham, Goose, Mickey etc never heard of that term either.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Was Aikman the best choice in hindsight? Remember Steve Walsh was available in the supplemental and Jimmy Johnson volunteered to pick him up at the airport.
Volunteered to pick him up at the airport then decided to go with Aikman and traded Walsh to New Orleans after he played only 6 games for Johnson and the Cowboys. If you are going to tell the story, tell the whole story.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Yes. Without the Great Wall and Emmitt Smith and Irvin and an awesome defense, Aikman doesn’t see a Super Bowl without buying a ticket.
This might be the most delusional post in the history of the board. Not sure if serious.

Troy Aikman was the only thing holding the team together after Jimmy left. Deion was the 2nd biggest reason the team of the 90s was torn to shreds.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is only 1 correct answer. And you better know what this play is.

200.gif

plasticman

Reaction score
What a draft.

For what’s it’s worth, I wanted the Cowboys to draft Mandarich…. at the time was viewed the best OL prospect basically ever.
Don't be ashamed, there were analysts that favored the Cowboys picking Mandarich. They envisioned Herschel Walker
running behind Mandarich.

Aikman was the best pick for the Cowsboyts. He may have not been the best talent of the top five that season but he would have been any other season and the quickest way to fix the Cowboys was to start at QB. If teh Cowboys had not selected Aikman, they would have become the Detroit Lions.

I mean, how many drafts did a team get to choose between four generational talents?

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I would encourage you to watch Aikman’s performance in the 1992 NFC championship game. It’s available on YouTube. I assume you are too young to have seen it live.
I would also encourage him to look into Barry Sanders' road playoff stats. He averaged 2.85 YPC on the road because his style of running was worthless on wet, cold fields. Would you really want him as your RB in the 1992 NFC Championship Game on that muddy San Francisco field?

1942willys

Reaction score
I would also encourage him to look into Barry Sanders' road playoff stats. He averaged 2.85 YPC on the road because his style of running was worthless on wet, cold fields. Would you really want him as your RB in the 1992 NFC Championship Game on that muddy San Francisco field?
Not that we would have gotten there without at the least a top flight QB....

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3x Super Bowl Quarterback… Steve Buerlein!
Steve is an interesting option. I think he is one of those forgotten players who played really well for the Cowboys. Had a decent stint in Carolina. The fall of 91 when he started is one of my favorite times as a Cowboys fan. His win against the Steelers on Thanksgiving is one of my favorite games ever.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just wondering about that 1989 draft and the literal 4-tyne fork in the road. Four of the top five picks were hall of famers. Aikman at 1, RB Barry Sanders at 3, LB Derrick Thomas at 4, and Deion Sanders at 5. Poor GB picked Mandarich.

Was Aikman the best choice in hindsight? Remember Steve Walsh was available in the supplemental and Jimmy Johnson volunteered to pick him up at the airport.

Barry Sanders behind the Great Wall?
Adding the greatest cover CB ever in Deion to that awesome defense? He basically shut down 1/2 of the field.

The 1990 draft offered Jeff George at QB and would have been available if the Cowboys passed on Walsh.

The 1991 draft offered Brett Favre.

In hindsight, I think Deion Sanders would have been the best pick, followed by Barry Sanders. Although, that means no Emmitt (ouch!) in 1990, but I think Barry would have been Tony Dorsett on steroids behind the Great Wall. Aikman and LB Thomas would have rounded it out for me.

Interesting fact: that 1989 draft had two players named Sanders and two players named Thomas in the top 6 picks.

Has any other draft had 4 hall of gamers in the top 5 picks?
wow, what a draft. probably there is not too many similar.

Aikman was the right choice. you start with the QB. Walsh wasn't as good and Johnson just had a soft spot for him because he played at Miami. we did draft Walsh and subsequently traded him. I once read the scouting report on AIkman and he was a can't miss prospect, 1st team NFL type QB.

I don't think we win championships with Barry Sanders+Walsh instead of Aikman,

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
No player is ever more valuable than a QB and Aikman won 3 SBs while Barry and Thomas won none. Deion won one but only because he cheated in SF and then bc Aikman was his QB the second time. So I think we made the right decision but yes it is fun to imagine Barry behind our OL. And we actually got to see Deion behind our D and returning punts for us. So I’d say it worked out well.
I don’t think Walsh would’ve cut it for us.
Walsh had a very average nfl career

CCBoy

Reaction score
"‘Ride, boldly ride,’
The shade replied,—
‘If you seek for Eldorado!’ "

Edgar Allan Poe
Some good literature...now, shut up.

I attended the Air Force Academy and then joined the Army after one year. Then served 23 more. To the chase...don't waste time, be prepared, and there is no room to be wrong.

Then, if early, you died. If late, you died. Not where one was supposed to be when you were supposed to be - BOTH sides fired at you.

Moto: handle it, handle it, handle it! Now, you carry on...no more of your self protecting inquires. My integrity is not an issue to YOU!