Revisiting the 1989 Draft. Aikman vs Barry Sanders, Deion, & Derrick Thomas

TheCritic

Reaction score
The only other QB that was as accurate of a thrower was probably Drew Brees. Aikman was the right choice, no debate here!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Just wondering about that 1989 draft and the literal 4-tyne fork in the road. Four of the top five picks were hall of famers. Aikman at 1, RB Barry Sanders at 3, LB Derrick Thomas at 4, and Deion Sanders at 5. Poor GB picked Mandarich.

Was Aikman the best choice in hindsight? Remember Steve Walsh was available in the supplemental and Jimmy Johnson volunteered to pick him up at the airport.

Barry Sanders behind the Great Wall?
Adding the greatest cover CB ever in Deion to that awesome defense? He basically shut down 1/2 of the field.

The 1990 draft offered Jeff George at QB and would have been available if the Cowboys passed on Walsh.

The 1991 draft offered Brett Favre.

In hindsight, I think Deion Sanders would have been the best pick, followed by Barry Sanders. Although, that means no Emmitt (ouch!) in 1990, but I think Barry would have been Tony Dorsett on steroids behind the Great Wall. Aikman and LB Thomas would have rounded it out for me.

Interesting fact: that 1989 draft had two players named Sanders and two players named Thomas in the top 6 picks.

Has any other draft had 4 hall of gamers in the top 5 picks?
I think it's always best to go a proven QB first. Aikman took a lot of punishment to get those passes to Irvin etc. Without the calmness, accuracy, and toughness of Aikman, I don't think we win 3.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Just wondering about that 1989 draft and the literal 4-tyne fork in the road. Four of the top five picks were hall of famers. Aikman at 1, RB Barry Sanders at 3, LB Derrick Thomas at 4, and Deion Sanders at 5. Poor GB picked Mandarich.

Was Aikman the best choice in hindsight? Remember Steve Walsh was available in the supplemental and Jimmy Johnson volunteered to pick him up at the airport.

Barry Sanders behind the Great Wall?
Adding the greatest cover CB ever in Deion to that awesome defense? He basically shut down 1/2 of the field.

The 1990 draft offered Jeff George at QB and would have been available if the Cowboys passed on Walsh.

The 1991 draft offered Brett Favre.

In hindsight, I think Deion Sanders would have been the best pick, followed by Barry Sanders. Although, that means no Emmitt (ouch!) in 1990, but I think Barry would have been Tony Dorsett on steroids behind the Great Wall. Aikman and LB Thomas would have rounded it out for me.

Interesting fact: that 1989 draft had two players named Sanders and two players named Thomas in the top 6 picks.

Has any other draft had 4 hall of gamers in the top 5 picks?
Aikman wins on position cost.

Kind of tough, because Sanders and Deion are arguably the best ever at their positions. And I think Deion wins that argument.

Could be right about Deion being the best pick.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes. Without the Great Wall and Emmitt Smith and Irvin and an awesome defense, Aikman doesn’t see a Super Bowl without buying a ticket.
He came up pretty big in that 1992 championship game. Those 49ers were better than us. And playing at home.

Manster68

Reaction score
I would have selected Aikman with the #1 pick overall in 1989. I would NOT have taken Steve Walsh in the Supplemental draft and forfeited the #1 overall pick in 1990.
Instead, I would have selected Junior Seau to anchor the middle of that defense, then move up the get Emmitt Smith like Dallas did.

How good would the Cowboys be if Junior Seau was anchoring the middle of that defense? Then pick up Charles Haley in that August of 1992 trade.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m amazed at the stupidity of people calling themselves cowboy fans and dissing our HoF QB with 3 Super Bowl rings. Aikman is an all-time great and it’s written in stone. There is no contesting it. The notion that the 90’s team would have gone anywhere without him is laughable.