Rico Dowdle is Athletic Enough to Be Lead Back

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, I don't want to start any Pollard versus Dowdle negativity. This is about the positive aspects of Rico Dowdle. I've seen people refer to Dowdle as a JAG. To the contrary, he's actually top 20 percent, athletically. He's been in the league for four years now. He was sort of a late bloomer, in my opinion, then he had some injuries that set him back. But over the past several games, his vision is getting better, his instincts are becoming quicker, and he's becoming a more natural runner.

I like to say there are a few positions I'm decent at evaluating and if you ask me, running back is one of them. There's likely no chance this season, since Rico sits at 212 yards on the season. But next season, I can see Rico having a 1,000 yard season.

Before you say my reference to RAS is irrelevant, I would say I agree with you on some levels, but at the end of the day, RAS is a decent measurement that indicates what an effective coach can get out of a player's potential. All I'm saying is that Dowdle does have quite a bit of athleticism, and I'd say his production will only increase as time goes on, especially if the players around him are producing.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Rico's knocks are injury prone and fumblitis. @RonnieT24 brought up a valid point, that is football IQ and picking up the plays and assignments. I know this is only about athletic ability, but having the info on the intangibles would go a long way in helping with the projection of what Dowdle can be for Dallas.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So, I don't want to start any Pollard versus Dowdle negativity. This is about the positive aspects of Rico Dowdle. I've seen people refer to Dowdle as a JAG. To the contrary, he's actually top 20 percent, athletically. He's been in the league for four years now. He was sort of a late bloomer, in my opinion, then he had some injuries that set him back. But over the past several games, his vision is getting better, his instincts are becoming quicker, and he's becoming a more natural runner.

I like to say there are a few positions I'm decent at evaluating and if you ask me, running back is one of them. There's likely no chance this season, since Rico sits at 212 yards on the season. But next season, I can see Rico having a 1,000 yard season.

Before you say my reference to RAS is irrelevant, I would say I agree with you on some levels, but at the end of the day, RAS is a decent measurement that indicates what an effective coach can get out of a player's potential. All I'm saying is that Dowdle does have quite a bit of athleticism, and I'd say his production will only increase as time goes on, especially if the players around him are producing.

Rico has been surprisingly decent this year at 4.5ypc. I'd rather see Rico taking on Zeke's role from last year, and Pollard getting back to Pollard's role+ from last year. The + is sending Pollard downfield more often. He can track a deep ball and at least used to have too much speed for a LB to handle.

What I see in Rico is a PS player who plays with intensity and abandon of a PS player getting his chance. Limited upside, but someone to make use of. I wish we had drafted a RB, or two, to pair with Pollard to groom for the future. But that didn't happen. So make the most of what Rico is bringing, which is more than we had a right to expect.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Rico's knocks are injury prone and fumblitis. @RonnieT24 brought up a valid point, that is football IQ and picking up the plays and assignments. I know this is only about athletic ability, but having the info on the intangibles would go a long way in helping with the projection of what Dowdle can be for Dallas.
It's actually not just about athletic ability. He's getting better with more experience. I think that's all he needs because he was out for so long.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No metric is perfect, but they're not nothing either. RAS is certainly useful, especially seeing the details.

The 10 yard split surely hurt him in the draft, but the he explosion grades are probably more indicative of his pure potential than his 10 yard split, which requires a lot more technique.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
It's not the runners that are problem, it's the OLine or the run scheme.

Pollard, Dowdle, AND Vaughn should be able to be getting more yards per carry

It almost feels like the Defenses know which run plays are coming and stuff them all

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With all the fans screaming for Pollard to be the starter I would’ve never guessed anyone would want Rico Dowdle starting ahead of him. Everyone here was complaining about Zeke starting ahead of Pollard and now they want Dowdle being the starter. :rolleyes:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rico has been surprisingly decent this year at 4.5ypc. I'd rather see Rico taking on Zeke's role from last year, and Pollard getting back to Pollard's role+ from last year. The + is sending Pollard downfield more often. He can track a deep ball and at least used to have too much speed for a LB to handle.

What I see in Rico is a PS player who plays with intensity and abandon of a PS player getting his chance. Limited upside, but someone to make use of. I wish we had drafted a RB, or two, to pair with Pollard to groom for the future. But that didn't happen. So make the most of what Rico is bringing, which is more than we had a right to expect.
Before the Giants game, he was averaging under 4 yards per carry. I think fans always like the backup, if you have a decent one, because it is so much harder to be the starter. We're seeing that this year with Pollard, but still fans seem to buy into the backup being able to be the lead back and even a better lead back. Roles are important and affect level of play.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
His size/speed combo is a smidge above average, but he can't catch and can't pass protect. It's a normal fringe RB type profile. Dowdle is pretty much playing to his scouting report.

What separates even a gimpy TP from Dowdle is that Pollard is a rock in pass pro and can catch. He can run the full playbook, whereas Dowdle is a net minus when Dak drops back.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
With all the fans screaming for Pollard to be the starter I would’ve never guessed anyone would want Rico Dowdle starting ahead of him. Everyone here was complaining about Zeke starting ahead of Pollard and now they want Dowdle being the starter. :rolleyes:
Either way. It’s much improved over Zeke.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised by Dowdle. I thought he was JAG coming into this season, but it's clear he's more than that. Didn't expect him to become RB #2, but you can see his quickness. Injuries have held him back, and here we go again...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Either way. It’s much improved over Zeke.
Don’t see where it’s much improved over Zeke. He had over 800 yards and 12 TDs last season. We finished 9th last season in rushing and we’re currently 11th.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Don’t see where it’s much improved over Zeke. He had over 800 yards and 12 TDs last season. We finished 9th last season in rushing and we’re currently 11th.
He got goal line gimmes..

If you’re pointing to stats that’s just sad.

Dallas forced the ball to him. Dude is terrible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He got goal line gimmes..

If you’re pointing to stats that’s just sad.

Dallas forced the ball to him. Dude is terrible.
Goal line hasn’t been gimme’s for us. He was able to push the pile and power his way into the end zone. On 4th and 1 it’s been pretty much a passing down for us this season, but not so when we had Zeke. Zeke and Pollard was better than Pollard and Dowdle.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised by Dowdle. I thought he was JAG coming into this season, but it's clear he's more than that. Didn't expect him to become RB #2, but you can see his quickness. Injuries have held him back, and here we go again...
Rico has some talent as most RB2s in this league have, but having a healthy Pollard in this offense opens up more options.