Rico Dowdle is Athletic Enough to Be Lead Back

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Goal line hasn’t been gimme’s for us. He was able to push the pile and power his way into the end zone. On 4th and 1 it’s been pretty much a passing down for us this season, but not so when we had Zeke. Zeke and Pollard was better than Pollard and Dowdle.
Luepke could do it.. No problem.

Zeke is washed.. If you can’t see that then maybe you should just watch games and give no opinions.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Zeke is washed.. If you can’t see that then maybe you should just watch games and give no opinions.
Luepke needs to start getting introduced.
I believe he will in certain moments going forward.
We need to put the ball in his hands on 3rd and short and GL situations asap, it is about time to start getting him worked into this offense so we know what we have now as far as confidence on certain plays when it matters most.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If it was no problem for Luepke he would be doing it. I never said Zeke was the same just saying we were better last year with him and Pollard than we are with Pollard and Dowdle. As the second back last season Pollard was averaging 5.2 per carry. As the starter this season he’s averaging 3.9 per carry, while Dowdle is averaging 4.4. However, that’s still well below what Pollard was averaging last season in the same role. The second back is kept fresher and has a better average.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If it was no problem for Luepke he would be doing it. I never said Zeke was the same just saying we were better last year with him and Pollard than we are with Pollard and Dowdle. As the second back last season Pollard was averaging 5.2 per carry. As the starter this season he’s averaging 3.9 per carry, while Dowdle is averaging 4.4. However, that’s still well below what Pollard was averaging last season in the same role. The second back is kept fresher and has a better average.
Listen.. You have bad opinions. Maybe just log out, read, and learn.

The whole NFL knows what Zeke is. It’s sad you can’t see something so obvious.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Listen.. You have bad opinions. Maybe just log out, read, and learn.
This coming from a guy who said if a QB doesn’t win a Super Bowl on their rookie contract you’re moving on. Lol You might want to take your own advice. :thumbup:

Reaction score
Just for only for a peek and see aspect i would low key call up Adrian Peterson for a simple workout and see what he has left because from his podcast interview with RG3 AP sounded Really Confident that he still wants to play, he still had that passion and that fire inside to play and mentioned that he could play better then most of the young players thats playing now so i wouldnt see why a workout wouldnt hurt so he’s 38 and may have not have it anymore but with rico getting hurt again and we need a brusier to take off the weight off pollard AP may could give us something

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's not the runners that are problem, it's the OLine
I can't even blame scheme when our guys just aren't moving defenders. Seems like even if 4 of our guys are OK, 1 guy gets beat & blows up the play.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's not the runners that are problem, it's the OLine or the run scheme.

Pollard, Dowdle, AND Vaughn should be able to be getting more yards per carry

It almost feels like the Defenses know which run plays are coming and stuff them all
I think your on to something. Ever since Bill Callahan left Dallas they have had their struggles running the football. Its almost like they pass block for the run game. Its no different.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

It almost feels like the Defenses know which run plays are coming and stuff them all
Biadiscz is playing hurt, Martin is good but no longer All-World and Steele is struggling. Too many times, there are defenders completely unblocked.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Before the Giants game, he was averaging under 4 yards per carry. I think fans always like the backup, if you have a decent one, because it is so much harder to be the starter. We're seeing that this year with Pollard, but still fans seem to buy into the backup being able to be the lead back and even a better lead back. Roles are important and affect level of play.
Dowdle's average is misleading. In both Giants games and against the Jets, Patriots, and Rams, Rico was getting the late game run out the clock carries in obvious running situations to spare Pollard. I'd guess Rico has received a full third off his handoffs from Cooper Rush and run into 8-9 man boxes on at least half of his carries. I'm in favor of reserving judgement until we see what he can do early in the game on 1st/2nd down.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dowdle and Pollard are both gone after this season.
Next year it will be Loepke, Deuce, a draft pick on day 2, a cheap vet, and Davis Or a new UDFA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So, I don't want to start any Pollard versus Dowdle negativity. This is about the positive aspects of Rico Dowdle. I've seen people refer to Dowdle as a JAG. To the contrary, he's actually top 20 percent, athletically. He's been in the league for four years now. He was sort of a late bloomer, in my opinion, then he had some injuries that set him back. But over the past several games, his vision is getting better, his instincts are becoming quicker, and he's becoming a more natural runner.

I like to say there are a few positions I'm decent at evaluating and if you ask me, running back is one of them. There's likely no chance this season, since Rico sits at 212 yards on the season. But next season, I can see Rico having a 1,000 yard season.

Before you say my reference to RAS is irrelevant, I would say I agree with you on some levels, but at the end of the day, RAS is a decent measurement that indicates what an effective coach can get out of a player's potential. All I'm saying is that Dowdle does have quite a bit of athleticism, and I'd say his production will only increase as time goes on, especially if the players around him are producing.

Maybe so, but he is always hurt. Cowboys have to retool the entire position in the offseason.

coult44

Reaction score
I can't even blame scheme when our guys just aren't moving defenders. Seems like even if 4 of our guys are OK, 1 guy gets beat & blows up the play.
It’s actually not the OL, it’s the OL coach.

coult44

Reaction score
Dowdle and Pollard are both gone after this season.
Next year it will be Loepke, Deuce, a draft pick on day 2, a cheap vet, and Davis Or a new UDFA.
The idea of Luepke and Vaughn is fun and “heartwarming” , but cmon man. I’m a Deuce fan, but he’s gonna have to be in a scheme that knows how to use him, or he’ll never succeed. As for Luepke, would he be on any roster in the NFL if he wasn’t playing for the Cowboys? 40 years ago, maybe. Not in today’s NFL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Rico has been surprisingly decent this year at 4.5ypc. I'd rather see Rico taking on Zeke's role from last year, and Pollard getting back to Pollard's role+ from last year. The + is sending Pollard downfield more often. He can track a deep ball and at least used to have too much speed for a LB to handle.

What I see in Rico is a PS player who plays with intensity and abandon of a PS player getting his chance. Limited upside, but someone to make use of. I wish we had drafted a RB, or two, to pair with Pollard to groom for the future. But that didn't happen. So make the most of what Rico is bringing, which is more than we had a right to expect.
that what i would do but the coaches seem set on feeding pollard ....doesn't make a lot of sense to me as Rico is pretty much the last few years Zeke lie zeke now type..
The negative news is I seen something that he landed on the injury list because he sprained his ankle in practice e sprained his ankle in practice the other day..

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s actually not the OL, it’s the OL coach.
No not really the offensive line is having a problem getting any push they're not good in the past or the run game at times they're very inconsistent but you can tell they lack the power I don't care what's called they're not getting pushed they're not winning even when the guys right in front of them... I've also seen them bust assignments where three guys go to block one guy and I know one was supposed to peel off and go the opposite direction and didn't so yes this was a problem with the beginning of year now is it improving, possibly... Blaming the system when you can see it's the physicality they ain't winning even the most basic of battles with the guy in front of them when we're talking about the center all the way to the right and that includes a lot of Mr. I'm gonna hold out got big money I know I'm a Hall of Famer Martin he is not playing up to his level either...

I find it ironic that you would blame the offensive line coach when the two dudes on the left are having career years they're playing great the other three are not so much I'd say that is a issue with the players even though sure I would like to see the running back coach the offensive coordinator and the head coach is calling plays use the running backs differently and let's just hope the offensive line improves

kskboys

Reaction score

Both.

There is absolutely zero reason to complain that it's 100% one thing and not the other.

kskboys

Reaction score
He got goal line gimmes..

If you’re pointing to stats that’s just sad.

Dallas forced the ball to him. Dude is terrible.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, those gimmes just magically went away this season? Harry Potter, that you?!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
With all the fans screaming for Pollard to be the starter I would’ve never guessed anyone would want Rico Dowdle starting ahead of him. Everyone here was complaining about Zeke starting ahead of Pollard and now they want Dowdle being the starter. :rolleyes:
Right? Amazing to me how so many are touting a JAG like Dowdle. Dude is a fringe NFL RB. Phillip Tanner part deux.