News: Rico: I'm gonna be the leagues next great tight end

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
To be fair, those are generally the garbage "Pop" hip-hop. The vast majority doesn't go on and on about material things. IMO

That’s exactly my point and you are a perfect example. Just by that statement I know that you are not from the hood and that was my point on cultural, educational, environmental and economical difference.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
He aspires to greatness. I've got no problem with that. I hope he reaches his goals.

Also, I like the fact that, unlike Bennett, he's been very respectful and appreciative of both players and coaches who are trying to help him.

Finally, Witten apparently also believes that Gathers has the tools to be great, and is willing to help him work toward that goal, based on Witten's own comments about Gathers last summer.

Rico Gathers said when he's in a film session, he's studying every move Jason Witten makes.

That includes when the 10-time Pro Bowler writes something down.

"When I see him jotting down a note, I'm like, 'OK, well I got to jot down that note down, too.' That's just the relationship that we have," Gathers said. "I look forward to many more conversations and many more life lessons that he has to offer."

After spending his rookie year on the practice squad, Gathers is hoping some of the tips he's picked up from Witten will not only help him make the active roster, but contribute in his second season.

"He's the model for the Cowboys," Gathers said. "Iron Man, that's what they call him, right? I just look up to him. Every time I look at our film I'm looking at him mostly, just dissecting his every move and stuff like that.

"When you got an ideal model of what you want to be like right in your same locker room, you just try to pick apart everything that he does."

What does Witten think about the Gathers he sees today compared to the one 365 days ago?

"Rico has made some unbelievable strides," Witten said Sunday during his annual youth football camp. "Think about the challenge of coming in last year and not playing football since eighth grade. Physically, he's got all the traits. He's big. He's strong. He's athletic. He's rangy. He can catch. He's really improved with the concepts of our offense and what the responsibilities are. So, I told him and will continue to tell him to dive into that process.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Some of you fans tickle me.... I love it, everyone will not have the same personality. He's a grown man, not like he's out there getting into trouble. Let him ******* live GEESH. Let's go Rico, I'm ready to see what you have on the field! We need your speed and athleticism in the worst way.

Reactions: BAT

cern

Reaction score
after the 700 years or so of the dark ages, art, music and poetry have gone thru change after change. the renaissance has been good for the artistically inclined. just new forms of creativity.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, was even a rookie salary paid off in 2 entire seasons? I say no. And he's got a 3rd coming up. The odds aren't in his favor.
I'm not certain what you are referencing in regards to salary paid off.

In regards to resources, a rookie minimum salary is trivial as compared to draft picks. If they get a contributor or eventual starter by paying a player the minimum for 2 or 3 years, it's a win for the team. Even if they pay him for 3 years and he fails, it is still less resources than a failed mid round pick.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Certainly Rico freaking Gathers doesn't deserve this many pages. The off-season. I tell ya.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a prime example of a loser.

Way too much talk about himself.

i must agree---although my nick is GORICO and i am a supporter of his potential...his brag-a-tory comments show both immaturity and stupidity

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How refreshing. Another shameless self-promoter who’s done absolutely nothing in this league making outrageous boasts. Oh well, maybe his rap career will take off.

mr Star---yes in total agreement...although i am a supporter of his potential-GORICO-its obvious he stares at himself in the mirror and actually believes his own self-promotion....wish he say something like...i want to be the best blocking tight end in the league and i am working toward it...couple that with his great hands for catching the football and he would be a total beast...he does have really good hands...and they are huge too