News: Rico is gaining weight and hopes to get some playing time

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I m happy for Rico. He needs to understand if he blocks he is on the 53. Just his blocking! He is 280lbs, he needs to block and learn to block well. Defensive ends are usually 275 or less so he is usually going to be bigger. Blocking gets him on the field. Getting on the field gets him reps and to be available to learn defense s and catch passes. If I were him I'd be a blocking fool. I'd block everyone on the defense of course. Block equals field.

You saw it. I saw it. It wasn't rocket science.

Where were the coaches and trainers while Rico was figuring this out?

superonyx

Reaction score
Rico needs to be playing for the Saints, Rams, or Eagles.

Linehan and Garrett don’t know what to do with a TE who can actually put pressure on a defense. They love these slugs who only run 2 yards in front of the first down marker, turn, catch, and fall down.

Which top TE in today’s NFL would thrive or even play here?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Now coming off, I’m delivering the blow,” Gathers said. “I’m delivering the shot.”

I love confident players. You gotta talk the talk before you walk the walk.............right?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Why does he need to be 285 to be able to block? TEs do it lighter all around the league. He's already slow. I can't imagine him 20 lbs heavier. We got another Kendall Watkins on our hands here.

Thank God for Dalton Schultz.
Yeah sure, but everyone remembers your hate on the Dak Prescott pick.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Linehan and Garrett don’t know what to do with a TE who can actually put pressure on a defense. They love these slugs who only run 2 yards in front of the first down marker, turn, catch, and fall down.

They just finished coaching a TE to the Hall of Fame. SMH.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fresh off his being elected to the “OTA and Preseason Game HOF”, Rico’s next goal is to make the 53 man roster.

In all seriousness, I have doubts about the great Rico Gathers even making this team.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'd say he has a 5% chance to make the team.

I loved the idea of a giant, athletic, good-hands guy playing TE for us. Enthralled with the idea. But we need a football player at that position. He has a long way to go before the season starts if he wants to stick this year, IMO.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm encouraged by Rico taking blocking more seriously. He's huge, he's strong, he has long arms and soft hands. That's enough for a career if you learn how to block. Should have been his goal from day one.

But I'm also exasperated by this story. Where the hell are the trainers and coaches? They leave 20lb weight swings up to the players?

They should have had a plan for him.
This is the path we see for a career for you.
This is what we need to see to get you on the roster. Active. On the field.
This is what you need to do to get there.

The fact that he is gaining weight and thinks it will help doesn't mean the Cowboys didn't have a plan. It may have been the Cowboys idea for him to gain weight, or they may have been good with him staying at 265 and just getting better with his technique. This is just Rico talking and doesn't necessarily say anything about whether the Cowboys have their own ideas.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had hope for Rico, but I'm becoming more comfortable with the safer options in Jarwin and Schultz.

Rico is a self-proclaimed superstar who has never played in a real game.

erod

Reaction score

Rico has never put pressure on a defense in a football game in his life.

How many real tight ends are in the NFL to begin with? I don't mean the H-back types. I'm talking about blocking and receiving tight ends.

Very few.

817Gill

Reaction score
If this weight gain doesn't affect his speed, agility, footwork, and stamina then I'm good with it. But seldom do 20lbs of extra weight not affect a player. We have 3 guys who are capable of being TE1 with their blocking and technique, why do we need another? No one on the TEAM offers the receiving potential Rico does. Just create specific plays and packages designed around mismatches so he can use his strengths and play free.

Now if the problem is his route-running or coverage reading then I understand. And while they have hinted at those being issues, I won't stop pining for his use as a niche player until they outright tell us.

superonyx

Reaction score
Rico has never put pressure on a defense in a football game in his life.

How many real tight ends are in the NFL to begin with? I don't mean the H-back types. I'm talking about blocking and receiving tight ends.

Very few.
Neither has Swaim, Jarwin and Schultz. At least Rico has an excuse.

There are tight ends playing all over the league. The elite offensive teams have figured out how to create mismatches in the passing game with TEs. We pretend it’s 1992.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have my doubts on Rico but still look forward to seeing him out on the field, if he can improve his blocking and continue to grow as a receiving threat then he gives himself a great chance at winning a spot.