News: Rico is gaining weight and hopes to get some playing time

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Sounds like a friendly sig bet opportunity
:laugh:

Just messing but I know you're just playing Bleu cause he's not gonna make the 53. They had a camp report on this mornings radio and Fish said the same. Rico isn't gonna make the 53 as of right now. He's getting 4th string reps. But to be fair, that's of right now. Things could change in camp.
No one goes from blowing everyone out of the water last preseason to not making the 53 this year. I don't get too caught up in the early camp stuff. When it gets serious, Rico will shine.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm encouraged by Rico taking blocking more seriously. He's huge, he's strong, he has long arms and soft hands. That's enough for a career if you learn how to block. Should have been his goal from day one.

But I'm also exasperated by this story. Where the hell are the trainers and coaches? They leave 20lb weight swings up to the players?

They should have had a plan for him.
This is the path we see for a career for you.
This is what we need to see to get you on the roster. Active. On the field.
This is what you need to do to get there.

Preach.

This is like buying a fixer upper and then being surprised at the work required.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The Cowboys are kind of in a no win situation with the fans where Rico is concerned. If he makes the team and has success, they will be criticized for being slow to recognize it and for not activating him last year when they could have. If he makes the team but doesn't show much, they will be criticized for not recognizing he was a waste of time and waste of a roster spot. If he gets cut, some will criticize for being slow to acknowledge he was a waste of time, including some that will say he was a waste of time to draft to begin with, while others will criticize for failing to develop a player that could have been a stud if not for the incompetence of the coaches.
Kinda like Devin Street. He was a failed project

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Devin Street wasn't acquired as a project. He was a major college player with a solid collegiate history who was drafted in the middle rounds the same way many others are every year.

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score

An inexpensive failed project. 84% of 5th round receivers are destined for short careers as backups. It's still 75% for 3rd rounders - not that Gallup couldn't buck the odds.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Devin Street wasn't acquired as a project. He was a major college player with a solid collegiate history who was drafted in the middle rounds the same way many others are every year.
Ok. Let me rephrase he was a bust pick that didn't contribute much and was on the team 3-4 years I believe.

My point is. We should have cut ties with him sooner than waste time and resources trying or waiting for him to develop