News: Rico is gaining weight and hopes to get some playing time

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not big enough now to put a good block on someone? If he can't do it now, it's not the weight holding him back, it's his abilities as an athlete in that area. Focus on that, not his weight. Just because he hasn't played in awhile doesn't mean too much. You're not going to lose speed, your ability to catch or run patterns. It doesn't work that way, you're either good or you're not. Provided he kept in shape of course.

You are oversimplifying things. The problem with his absence from football is not about his athleticism - if it were he wouldn't have been drafted. It's with being 10 years behind everyone else in terms of learning and experience and nuance, and technique and feel and instincts. He didn't have the chance to learn and grow and mature in the game the way others did, and that's a much larger obstacle than some seem to believe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was the coaches and trainers that told him he needs to be a better blocker to get on the field. And it is the trainers who are assisting him in bulking up.

I also don't think it is a surprise that he had trouble blocking at 265 lbs. He didn't learn how to use leverage in high school and college. I was a basketball player, and many of my friends were wrestlers. I weighed 165 in high school, and they wrestled at 126 and 132. And they could beat me easily in wrestling because they knew how to use leverage. But there was a friend who wrestled at 105 and actually wrestled in exhibition matches with the US Olympic wrestling team in 1983. I could easily beat him due to my size and superior power.

Gathers may be struggling with leverage, unlike guys like Schultz and Swaim, who've learned how to use leverage to overcome their lighter weights. But Gathers can compensate by having more bulk and power. And he can continue to develop his skills with using leverage in the mean time. It makes perfect sense to me for him to increase his bulk and power, at least in the short term, to give himself a better chance to make the team. He's already shown he can be a threat in the passing game, and the only thing holding him back is becoming adept in the running game.

I wish him well. I also don't understand those who are so quick to despise him for wanting to be a great player. I want all the Cowboys youngsters to strive to be great players. Some guys are more vocal about their goals, and Gathers is in that group. That's a personality thing, not a moral thing. If he can talk himself into being a great player (which means encouraging himself to keep developing his skills and motivation) then so be it. Some guys need to verbalize their goals to achieve them. If you choose to hold that against him, that says more about you than it does Gathers.

But Gathers was always a long-shot player. The Cowboys used their very last draft pick in 2016 to take a gamble on him. If it pays off great. If it doesn't, then that doesn't mean the Cowboys were stupid to take the risk, or that Gathers didn't give his best effort. Sometimes long shots don't pay off. And maybe Gathers will never develop to the point of being a great NFL player. I'm still rooting for him to be successful, and I'm not so jaded as to write off a player with his innate talent so quickly. I'm willing to be patient. If he's player #53 on the team, and can use his increased bulk to contribute on special teams, then I say keep him around another year, and let's see what happens.

I'm encouraged that he's trying to address his weakness in blocking. That's enough for me to stay on the Gathers bandwagon - even if I acknowledge he's still a long-shot to make the team.

He was not getting over-powered in the preseason games. He displayed more power than the other TEs on the team. The issue was mental errors. Blocking the wrong player, blocking to a defenders outside shoulder on an inside run and he literally went the wrong direction a few times on Zone Runs.

When he got a solid block on a DLinenan it was usually impressive. There was one play I still remember specifically where he drove a DLineman about 5 yards downfield. I don't remember any TE on the Cowboys 53 doing that since MartyB.

The problem for Rico is that the Cowboys have had a couple of UDFA TEs over the last several years that were also very stout point of attack blockers but made many mistakes and didn't even last long on the practice squad.

The Cowboys like the James Hanna type blockers which I call precision blockers. Hanna (6-4, 250) never over-powered anyone but he blocked with perfect angles and had a great understanding of the scheme. On most run plays the TE just needs to redirect the defenders path and/or delay him for just a brief period of time but they can't do things like let the defender beat them to the inside off the snap on an inside run.

Flamma

Reaction score
You are oversimplifying things. The problem with his absence from football is not about his athleticism - if it were he wouldn't have been drafted. It's with being 10 years behind everyone else in terms of learning and experience and nuance, and technique and feel and instincts. He didn't have the chance to learn and grow and mature in the game the way others did, and that's a much larger obstacle than some seem to believe.

It definitely may be in regards to the NFL. But that's not something you can make up for by gaining weight. Especially considering the size he is already.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It definitely may be in regards to the NFL. But that's not something you can make up for by gaining weight. Especially considering the size he is already.

I agree with that. Like others, I assume his blocking difficulty is probably more about technique than size. It may also have something to do with mentality. Some just don't have the mindset for battling in the trenches, and that may especially be true of a player that skipped 10 years of football and didn't have the same opportunity as others to become accustomed to that kind of contact.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree with that. Like others, I assume his blocking difficulty is probably more about technique than size. It may also have something to do with mentality. Some just don't have the mindset for battling in the trenches, and that may especially be true of a player that skipped 10 years of football and didn't have the same opportunity as others to become accustomed to that kind of contact.

A lot of truth in what you said. Especially the mentality part. Because I played a lot of football as a WR and couldn't block worth a damn. I could run, not block. Others I knew at my position were great blockers and weren't big. Experience, your willingness to do it, and technique is everything. You spelled it out and hopefully he's not like me. :)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of truth in what you said. Especially the mentality part. Because I played a lot of football as a WR and couldn't block worth a damn. I could run, not block. Others I knew at my position were great blockers and weren't big. Experience, your willingness to do it, and technique is everything. You spelled it out and hopefully he's not like me. :)

Of course it helps for a WR to be able to block, but you were in a different situation than a TE on a run heavy team. It's not really something a TE in that situation can avoid. I've read where some have suggested just using Gathers as a receiver only and line him up outside, but if we were going to do that, why not just use an extra WR who can run a 4.4-4.5 instead of a player who runs a 4.7-4.8? It can't just be for jump ball situations in the red zone. That's a nice ability to have, but it's not realistic to use a roster spot on a player who doesn't add more than that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Listen up

He lost weight trying to gain some speed but they didn't like his strength

He has bulked back up to gain his punch hopefully without sacrificing his speed

Either way he needs reps and the coaches support...... he will listen to them, not us

Billyd

Reaction score
Guys Im not sure whos idea this was, the way the piece was written it was Rico who decided to drop weight to get faster, and Rico deciding he had to gain weight to be more of an effective blocker...If thats the case than Rico is making excuses for blocking like crap. IF THIS is his position coach making the decision maybe it is the coaches being inconsistent...

IF Rico believes it, maybe it works for him, blocking is want to. We dont know if this change has even worked yet!

Billyd

Reaction score
Of course it helps for a WR to be able to block, but you were in a different situation than a TE on a run heavy team. It's not really something a TE in that situation can avoid. I've read where some have suggested just using Gathers as a receiver only and line him up outside, but if we were going to do that, why not just use an extra WR who can run a 4.4-4.5 instead of a player who runs a 4.7-4.8? It can't just be for jump ball situations in the red zone. That's a nice ability to have, but it's not realistic to use a roster spot on a player who doesn't add more than that.

ONE needs to remember a tightends purpose is as a blocker first and a receiver second..If a coach wants to use a TE as a receiver and little as a tight end Thats their decision..I wouldnt and college coaches generally dont..

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Great, bulk up, lose speed and not be as effective as a receiving TE. Sounds like a JG plan.

Billyd

Reaction score
Great, bulk up, lose speed and not be as effective as a receiving TE. Sounds like a JG plan.

Sounds, like you didnt read my previous statement..I think Rico made that decision as an excuse for not blocking. YOUR attempted redirect is funny if nothing else!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Wish we had a Zach Ertz type tight end. I think Hana could have been that type of player.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Sounds, like you didnt read my previous statement..I think Rico made that decision as an excuse for not blocking. YOUR attempted redirect is funny if nothing else!

Sorry, missed your statement...lol. You would think management/coaches would tell him where they want his weight to be at.

GenoT

Reaction score
Take an overweight, mediocre b-ball player who, if he had any kind of drive and discipline would be working towards a pro b-ball career and who is, at the moment, a fringe football talent...and then ask him to “bulk up.”

This should end well, LOL!!?!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Why does he need to be 285 to be able to block? TEs do it lighter all around the league. He's already slow. I can't imagine him 20 lbs heavier. We got another Kendall Watkins on our hands here.

Thank God for Dalton Schultz.
Exactly...he was already the heaviest TE on the team! I get it if he needs to get stronger, but geez, he's plenty big and agile enough if he WANTS to block and will commit himself physically to it. Being bigger just means he can catch the hits better. I have no facts on which to base this opinion, but I'm starting to think the kid maybe doesn't really have his head on straight. I think he's going to have to prove to be an ELITE target on offense in order to make the 53. That's the only way his lack of interest in blocking is going to be tolerated.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, missed your statement...lol. You would think management/coaches would tell him where they want his weight to be at.

First, we don't know that the team hasn't told him that, but even so, it's not something that the team should have to talk about all the time. If the team doesn't express dissatisfaction with the weight, it's not the team's fault if the player decides to make a change on his own.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Take an overweight, mediocre b-ball player who, if he had any kind of drive and discipline would be working towards a pro b-ball career and who is, at the moment, a fringe football talent...and then ask him to “bulk up.”

This should end well, LOL!!?!
Yeah Jimmy Graham and AGates were horrible

GenoT

Reaction score
Yeah Jimmy Graham and AGates were horrible
Neither were overweight as b-ball players and both received offers to play either/or football and b-ball in college.

No one wanted Rico as a college football player.

Nice try.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Neither were overweight as b-ball players and both received offers to play either/or football and b-ball in college.

No one wanted Rico as a college football player.

Nice try.
We did

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think it was the coaches and trainers that told him he needs to be a better blocker to get on the field. And it is the trainers who are assisting him in bulking up.

I also don't think it is a surprise that he had trouble blocking at 265 lbs. He didn't learn how to use leverage in high school and college. I was a basketball player, and many of my friends were wrestlers. I weighed 165 in high school, and they wrestled at 126 and 132. And they could beat me easily in wrestling because they knew how to use leverage. But there was a friend who wrestled at 105 and actually wrestled in exhibition matches with the US Olympic wrestling team in 1983. I could easily beat him due to my size and superior power.

I wish him well. I also don't understand those who are so quick to despise him for wanting to be a great player.

But Gathers was always a long-shot player. The Cowboys used their very last draft pick in 2016 to take a gamble on him. If it pays off great. If it doesn't, then that doesn't mean the Cowboys were stupid to take the risk, or that Gathers didn't give his best effort. Sometimes long shots don't pay off. And maybe Gathers will never develop to the point of being a great NFL player. I'm still rooting for him to be successful, and I'm not so jaded as to write off a player with his innate talent so quickly. I'm willing to be patient. If he's player #53 on the team, and can use his increased bulk to contribute on special teams, then I say keep him around another year, and let's see what happens.

I would have preferred that the coaches, trainers, and Rico all got on the same page the day he got here that he needed to learn how to block. That was always his most direct route to getting on the field.

Rico's latest comments on putting on weight were all about him, and no one else. Last year I, this year I. Sounded like he has just making it his training regimen himself. And it certainly seems that way from the flip flopping of starting big, going smaller, then going big again. Were our coaches really responsible for that? I'm annoyed thinking they even *put up* with that.

He wants to be great. Great. Doesn't sound like he's been that eager to *do* the things necessary to get great. Or even get on the field. On the subject of blocking, he once said "Jimmy Graham don't block". Wanting to be great is great. Thinking you can stroll into the NFL and be a superstar without doing the work isn't great. Thinking it's your destiny to be the greatest so you can't be bothered with the tiresome, unglamorous parts is a recipe for failure.

He is a long shot to be Jimmy Graham. Who isn't? I think he's even a long shot to be a receiving TE. If that's what he aims at short term. He looks like a plodding long strider who won't get separation and has no experience. He's a bigger, stronger Escobar, but even slower and nowhere near the route runner. Probably a smaller catch radius, but likely better at blocking out and competing for the ball.

But I don't think he was that much of a long shot for an NFL career. He has the size, strength, agility, length, hands, and catch radius. If he learned how to block reasonably, *boom*, he's on the active roster as a short yardage/goal line weapon. If he learns how to block well, he could play for almost a decade just on that. And that keeps him on rosters long enough to learn to be all the receiving TE he can be.

How hard is it to teach players to block? We routinely turn LBs into fullbacks. Turned Hanna into a great blocker, and that was the weakness of his game.

As for keeping him, I think he may have slow walked his development off the team. With Witten and Hanna leaving, and us picking up Olawale, I expect more FB and less two TE. Maybe even lots of no TE, with a FB and three WRS. That looks like our best package to me. Beasley should be on the field, and our TEs have no experience.

I don't think we carry 4 TEs if their role gets significantly reduced, which is inevitable with Witten leaving. Unless Jarwin and the draft pick outplay Swaim, I don't see how Rico makes our 53. We're a young team with lot of guys we want to keep. We're likely going long at DE.

He'll get picked up somewhere else. But that won't do us much good.

Hang on with special teams? His shortest route to that is again learning to block. If he had spent the last two years doing that instead of visualizing himself as Jimmy Don't Need No Steenkin Blocking Graham, he wouldn't be worried about sneaking on to the team as bottom of the roster special teams roster churn.