Twitter: Rico throws shade at Witt?

LittleD

Reaction score
When Witten was brought back in he was supposed to understand that he would be limited on his snaps and he was ok with it.. Now I am hearing the FO is saying that once again Witten will be in charge of when he comes off the field. And I don't like that, in the past he would never take himself out even when exhausted and it never gave another TE a chance to develop or get into the game, Witten gets tired and refuses to take himself out and the you get the offsides and false start calls and holding calls...

Witten is football royalty in Dallas. He will play as much and as long as he wants to. Jerry, not Garrett, calls all the shots in Dallas.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Witten is football royalty in Dallas. He will play as much and as long as he wants to. Jerry, not Garrett, calls all the shots in Dallas.
No doubt there. But if Witten wants a ring then the man needs to let others develop and play when he is tired.. But he is a competitor and they want the ball..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt there. But if Witten wants a ring then the man needs to let others develop and play when he is tired.. But he is a competitor and they want the ball..

Witten is on a 1 year deal, I hope Jarwin shows more same with Shultz but it is their job to go out and earn it not for Witten to cow down to them. These guys either go out and produce in camp and week to week in practice and games or they don't. I keep hearing from some Witten is old and too slow? well then they should be able to out perform him but based on last season I have doubts they can beat him out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
in his last year, he still out produced the other TEs we have had...….until someone can out do him, he maybe the best we got and that's a sad statement.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny how Rico was Romo's #1 weapon every week in practice during the 2016 season when Dak was the #1 QB and Romo was running the 3rd stringers against the starting Defense while Romo rehabbed. Romo and Rico were constantly lighting it up against our starting Defense for weeks. Why has it not happened in practice ever since? (Pointing at you, Dak!!! ... and that's because I'm one of Dak's biggest vocal supporters on these forums.)

The 3rd string receiving options were the practice squad players:
80 Rico Gathers TE
86 Austin Traylor TE
81 Andy Jones WR
16 Vince Mayle WR

Romo didn't have a lot of options on who he targeted.

Traylor was a very good blocker but couldn't catch football if somebody handed it him.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Big deal. Rico is right. There is favoritism on this team and organization. It's been going on for decades.

True but he had some chances and fumble the opportunity. Rico put in work his first year to make the squad but afterwards he done everything but better himself. Put time in to be a rapper, busted with drugs, Twitter finger bandit.

glimmerman

Reaction score
in his last year, he still out produced the other TEs we have had...….until someone can out do him, he maybe the best we got and that's a sad statement.
I agree, but if the others don't get a chance then we wont know.. Last year Swaim got hurt and we had nothing, finally they started to develop towards the end of the year and I thought Jarwin really come on.. the giants game gave him a lot of confidence, Dak also.. I don't want to see out TE group go backwards because Witten don't want to pull himself. This is where JG needs step in. I hope he does, with a new OC JG is gonna have to be even more involved. This is your job on the line JG, time to step it up..

HungryLion

Reaction score

This is true. Witten was clearly still better than anybody on the roster.

The roster after Witten left last year, was made up of 2 undrafted free agents, a 6th round basketball player project, and a 4th round rookie.

The chances of any of those players, being anywhere near as good as, even an old, Hall of famer, was very very very slim.
And I kind of like jarwin and Schultz ability. But let’s be real. We will be lucky if they end up half as good as Witt.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Competition is between Jarwin and Witten and whichever TE is left. Rico is an afterthought.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
exactly... and the man has shown more play making ability in the very few chances he has had than any other TE on the roster. Made me sick how they used him last year.
They used Bennett the same way. He was the team's best blocker and most athletic talent at TE, but he had not grasp the position (so they said), ..Sounds familiar does it?

Rico Gathers won Mr. Basketball in the state of LA. LA per capita puts the most football players in the NFL. His brother Greg was a starting DE in the ACC, former All American, and was the sack leader at GTech. So he knows football. Because his brother had kidney issues and his cousin Hank Gathers did was a college basketball great, he was pushed to basketball.

If you can not find a position for this kind of God given athlete, you do not know talent or how to coach:
Pre-draft measurables
HtWtArm lengthHand size40-yard dash10-yd split20-yd split20-ss3-coneVert jumpBroadBP
6 ft 6 1⁄4 in
(1.99 m)273 lb
(124 kg)35 in
(0.89 m)11.2 in
(0.28 m)4.66 s1.71 s2.79 s4.56 s34.5 in
(0.88 m)9 ft 7 in
(2.92 m)16 reps
All values from Baylor pro day.[4]

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree, but if the others don't get a chance then we wont know.. Last year Swaim got hurt and we had nothing, finally they started to develop towards the end of the year and I thought Jarwin really come on.. the giants game gave him a lot of confidence, Dak also.. I don't want to see out TE group go backwards because Witten don't want to pull himself. This is where JG needs step in. I hope he does, with a new OC JG is gonna have to be even more involved. This is your job on the line JG, time to step it up..

Thing is it is not just reception that TE are responsible for. They have got to be able to take on the job of a TE including the ability to block. If not then get a tall WR with better speed and call him a TE. I like Jarwin and Shultz is young but it falls to them to step up and show they should be getting the playing time just like any other player. Yes Dallas likes Witten and why not he knows the job and plays all out but I don't think if a player is showing great progress that the team will hold him out. Witten as a young player went out and earned it why should anyone else be given the job without earning it?

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is true. Witten was clearly still better than anybody on the roster.

The roster after Witten left last year, was made up of 2 undrafted free agents, a 6th round basketball player project, and a 4th round rookie.

The chances of any of those players, being anywhere near as good as, even an old, Hall of famer, was very very very slim.
And I kind of like jarwin and Schultz ability. But let’s be real. We will be lucky if they end up half as good as Witt.
Hard to find out or develop when they never see the field during a actual game. They came on at the end of the year. Don't let Witten dictate how much playing time they get. That's a HC job and JG needs to do his job this year if he wants to coach them next year. He has the ability to change the play called before Dak gets the play. Last year in a 4th and short I watched JG allow us to run the play right at the 2 best DT in the league, and they were being blocked by 2 bachups… Come om man, change the play and get Dak out in space to his right and run a TE drag that worked all the time that year or let Dal keep it a run for it or run it off tackle or a toss or sweep. Get it away from there strength..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
h19B7C81C

glimmerman

Reaction score
Thing is it is not just reception that TE are responsible for. They have got to be able to take on the job of a TE including the ability to block. If not then get a tall WR with better speed and call him a TE. I like Jarwin and Shultz is young but it falls to them to step up and show they should be getting the playing time just like any other player. Yes Dallas likes Witten and why not he knows the job and plays all out but I don't think if a player is showing great progress that the team will hold him out. Witten as a young player went out and earned it why should anyone else be given the job without earning it?
I agree, they may need to look at a player like Noah Brown, I mentioned moving him last year and I was apparently a idiot for suggesting it.. LOL. Both Jarwin and Shultz should take a big step up this year, I just want to see them get the chances.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree, they may need to look at a player like Noah Brown, I mentioned moving him last year and I was apparently a idiot for suggesting it.. LOL. Both Jarwin and Shultz should take a big step up this year, I just want to see them get the chances.[/QUOTE ]

I get that but we see them on Sunday coaches see them through out the week. Those practice session mean a lot. As a fan do you know if they are running the rout as it needs to be ran? coaches do they see it during the week. In my view that is where it starts is working your butt off and showing them week in and week out during the practice that you get it and you know the job, not throw them out there on Sunday so a fan can see for themselves. I like Jarwin but he must improve on blocking in this offense that is critical to put your hand in the dirt and do the dirty work and seal that edge for the RB. Jarwin does not need to be the best blocker but he has to be able to do a good job at it, same for Shultz. It is not just game day it is every day you put those pads on. Witten knew that as a young player and still understands that today, he works hard at what he does

HungryLion

Reaction score
Hard to find out or develop when they never see the field during a actual game. They came on at the end of the year. Don't let Witten dictate how much playing time they get. That's a HC job and JG needs to do his job this year if he wants to coach them next year. He has the ability to change the play called before Dak gets the play. Last year in a 4th and short I watched JG allow us to run the play right at the 2 best DT in the league, and they were being blocked by 2 bachups… Come om man, change the play and get Dak out in space to his right and run a TE drag that worked all the time that year or let Dal keep it a run for it or run it off tackle or a toss or sweep. Get it away from there strength..

THe point I was making is. The guys behind Witten just aren’t that good.

That’s a fact.

Yes Witten shouldn’t call the shots. But we don’t have Zach ertz sitting on the bench behind him.

Them

Reaction score
...time for Rico to put up or shut up...he'll be lucky to make the team anyway!...