Ridiculous Draft!

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
HighTechDave;2502821 said:
wooooaaaa, settle down there boy.

The Emmitt Smith draft was by far, the best. got us 3 Superbowls. Care to revisit the details on that one????????

Let us win a Superbowl here, then talk. Reminds me of the old story about the "old Bull, Young Bull"......

I've got 7 years of College, remember that

:star: :star: :star:

1990 Draft
1 (17, 17) - Emmitt Smith, Florida, RB
2 (1, 26) - Alexander Wright, Auburn, WR
3 (11, 64) - Jimmie Jones, Miami (FL), DT
9 (1, 221) - Kenneth Gant, Albany State, DB
11 (1, 277) - Dave Harper, Humboldt State, LB

Angus

Reaction score
lewpac;2503198 said:
Jerry's record over almost two decades isn't overwhelming. Even a broken clock is right once a day (not twice, counting AM and PM.).
Sooner or later, every teams draft is going to "hit" with the better half being productive.
This class, certainly is going to yield great rewards over the years.
But, the criticism about Jerry is correct, given the years he's insisted on picking talent in the draft. It's overwhelmingly been disappointing, bust upon bust. Bobby Carpenter anyone?????

I wouldn't trade Jerry as an Owner any day of the week. He's the Steinbrenner of the NFL and will pay anything and do everything to field a winner. I appreciate that. But picking talent??? There's a lot there left on the table and "wanting".

He has enough money and resources to leave this procedure to better men.

Nobody knows for sure, but the twenty year record of draft picks may reflect who Jones was listening to at the time. Parcells made bad choices often and would have lost Ware if he had had his way. Before Parcells, who were the coaches who needed to be pleased at the draft table and what was their input? And who was supposed to be the "draft expert" for the Cowboys during those years? It wasn't Jones.

I don't believe Jerry Jones ever touted himself as a draft guru, but if he was the one who insisted Ware be picked before Spears, even against Parcells' wishes, he deserves props.

Apparently he listened to someone duing the last draft who knew what they were doing. If that person is still around, I expect Jones will listen to him again.

:D

Angus

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2503231 said:
Hindsight is wonderful, no?
Well, at the time it made no sense to trade a veteran TE for a rookie with a draft pick we'd have to burn.
Choice was an unknown. How many like him have fizzed out in training camp?
Skandrick and Jenkins seemed too little too late in the draft, and this was a secondary in dire need.
Felix was a safe choice, IMHO.

The thing about the draft was that a WR was expected early and then the awful feeling set in that we'd have only Brad to back up Romo.

Like I said, hindsight is great.

Foresight is better, and somebody in the Cowboys organization had it during the last draft. Apparently, you didn't.

:D

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
HoosierCowboy;2502780 said:
Great draft--Tuna would have picked more worthless linemen.

Passing on a franchise quarterback like Matt Ryan could come back to haunt the Dolphins in the next few years.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DaBoys4Life;2503189 said:
Jenkins sucks!!!!!!!!!

Yeah......and Felix Jones makes a lack of big plays.

I think we all understand your ability to judge draft picks by now... :rolleyes:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chief;2503824 said:
Passing on a franchise quarterback like Matt Ryan could come back to haunt the Dolphins in the next few years.

Parcells will probably be with another team by then. ;)