RIP Champ Dickerson

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Took a while...but yeah...I remember him. That's a bummer. I always thought he was gonna be a better player for us...then before you know it...he was gone.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Yeah, AD was an SMU kid, sort of a smallish (but fast) OLB on Stautner’s defense.

That sack on Ken Stabler vs the Saints in ‘83 was the game saver for Dallas in Irving that afternoon. Neither offense was doing much that day.

I remember Morten Andersen clearing a 45-yard FG by quite a bit - looked as if he could have hit from 70 that day. And then the Dickerson blitz, dropping Snake in the end zone to win it.

RIP #51
Oct. 21, 1984
Sunday Night Game

scottsp

Reaction score
Oct. 21, 1984
Sunday Night Game

No, that’s incorrect. The game you’re referring to was a year after the one in which Dickerson sacked Snake for a game-winning safety.

The one you’re thinking of was indeed SNF at TS, but it was that huge 4Q comeback we won in OT on a Septien FG. I also believe Jim Jeffcoat had a fumble or interception return for TD late in the game. And I think that was also Earl Campbell’s last game here.

Someone might want to check me on the last two points regarding Jeffcoat and Campbell, but the AD game was definitely a noon kick a year earlier.

Still, all great memories!

Last edited:

scottsp

Reaction score
A couple of other AD factoids I was not aware of or had long forgotten. I remember he played for Ron Meyer at SMU, but i didn’t know he actually began his professional career in Canada.

He was released twice in the CFL before Dallas signed him.

Dickerson also registered 32 tackles vs Ohio State in a regular season game at the Cotton Bowl. The Ponies got drilled that day, though.

I believe he sort of found his niche in 1983. He was really good for Dallas as they got off to that 7-0 start. He was a demon on special teams and good in coverage. The guy had a 100-tackle 10-sack season.

It went downhill for him the next year when he got hurt and found himself being squeezed after the club drafted Billy Cannon Jr. That draft pick is another story altogether, but I won’t do that now.

Last edited:

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
No, that’s incorrect. The game you’re referring to was a year after the one in which Dickerson sacked Snake for a game-winning safety.

The one you’re thinking of was indeed SNF at TS, but it was that huge 4Q comeback we won in OT on a Septien FG. I also believe Jim Jeffcoat had a fumble or interception return for TD late in the game. And I think that was also Earl Campbell’s last game here.

Someone might want to check me on the last two points regarding Jeffcoat and Campbell, but the AD game was definitely a noon kick a year earlier.

Still, all great memories!
Yep, you're correct. Memory became polluted over the decades. Thanks for correcting that.

Jeffcoat tied the game late with a fumble recovery in the endzone off a Manster sack of Stabler.

Last edited:

Manster68

Reaction score
#51. Remember him well. He recorded the winning safety against the saints on a Monday night in 1984. Dramatic comeback.

Very fast LB.

Very sad news.
It is a little more than that my friend. That is still the only time in NFL history that a team losing by a point, won by a point on a safety.
RIP Anthony Dickerson.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
920x920.jpg
RIP Anthony Dickerson. :starspin:

Rayman70

Reaction score
He was listed at 215lbs. That's pretty light, even for that time.
yep..Alvin Walton and Ronnie Lott were safeties and I think may have weighed more than him. I knew Walton...kid was a beast for Banning High school. Big bruiser safety. Dickerson was that at LB for Dallas. Bad part is he was on some mediocre teams. Was did he pass away from?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Yep, you're correct. Memory became polluted over the decades. Thanks for correcting that.

Jeffcoat tied the game late with a fumble recovery in the endzone off a Manster sack of Stabler.
boy...Jeffcoat had a knack for that.
twice in his career he and too tall teamed up for tip-pick 6 vs the giants.
man I miss those days...I have a real fondness for those guys from 84-88.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Strange that I don't remember this guy. I was really into the team then too. How long was he with the boys?