FEATURED ***** RIP John Madden *****

Plankton

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/28/john-madden-football-legend-dies-at-85/

John Madden, a legendary figure known to one generation as a Hall of Fame coach, another generation as the sport’s greatest announcer, and yet another generation for the video game that bears his name, has died at the age of 85.

The NFL announced Madden’s passing today.

Madden’s influence on the sport of football is impossible to overstate. He was the youngest head coach in pro football when Al Davis hired him to coach the Oakland Raiders, and he led them to a Super Bowl title while having so much success that he still has the all-time highest winning percentage among all coaches who won at least 100 games.

But as great a coach as he was, he did more for the sport after he retired for coaching. In the broadcasting booth, Madden became a sensation, not just the best broadcaster in football but one of the most popular figures in America, as famous as any movie star but as down-to-earth as any guy you’d talk about sports with at the barbershop. Everyone loved him.

And then Madden had his video game, which he didn’t just lend his name to but took an active role in developing, always insisting that it needed to be as realistic as possible. The youngest generation of football fans that can’t even remember him as a broadcaster, let alone as a coach, is still influenced by Madden’s giant presence in the sport.

Even in the final years of his life, Madden had an important role in the NFL, advising the league and advocating for rule changes that would protect players from brain injuries.

John Madden may have been the single most influential person in the history of the sport of football.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is the analyst voice of many of our football fandoms. Always knew it was a big game when you heard him and Pat Summerall. Now, they are reunited in heaven. RIP

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By request of some members, this thread has been re-created in the Fan Zone.

The reason it was moved before was because the rules are stricter in the Fan Zone and I assumed many Madden fans would want to post random videos, social media, etc. posts.

Since that is not the case, I have recreated the thread here for everyone to comment and discuss.

*** As a reminder, non-official videos, social media, etc. are NOT allowed in the Fan Zone! ***

I added a #johnmadden topic on SiteHype to make reading the various articles about him easy to do ..

https://sitehype.com/johnmadden

If you find something good there, feel free to share it in this thread!

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
We just lost an absolute legend. The first NFL game I ever attended was Dallas @ Seattle on Monday Night Football. This was back when Madden was still on the program. I felt honored just being in the same stadium as him!

Rest in peace and thank you for all the joy you brought us!! You will be extremely missed. :(

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Remember one Thanksgiving Day game, his turkeys had about 10 drumsticks (exaggerated but not by much) and not just one turkey, something like that. It was for the Boys, and mentioned, there will be NO leftovers! What humor!

RIP Coach

aaev84

Reaction score
Thank you to Mods for posting back in Fan Zone. John Madden was an Era. Part of Sunday Meals with a TV tray so our family could watch the Cowboys and Madden gush over Larry Allen and the Cowboys early 90s dominance... But more than that, he really was football for so many tuning in. It's a strange shift as I think we are all getting older and that realization that an Era has passed on. (Losing older family members, icons that we grew up with, etc)

RIP John Madden.

lopey

Reaction score
He really made watching football special. Was he terminally ill when his Madden special aired this past weekend? Was his passing sudden despite his age? He is meant a lot to the game.
It said he died suddenly

cowboyec

Reaction score
the greatest ambassador this league ever had.
for so many of my memories...he is at the telestrator....BOOM!.....WHAP!!!!
there was no-one like that man.
and there never will be.
every cowboys-skins game....randy white vs the hogs.
mud.
dirt.
too tall.
coach landry vs coach gibbs.
tony d.
summerall and madden in the booth.
madden is the only one i ever heard on tv,anyway...refer to a helmet as a bucket.
almost all my memories from this great game...he telestrated.
what a legend.
i wrote him a few times just to thank him.
he sent me an autographed pic.
i love that man.
he will be missed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If you are my age, you grew up with Madden. I lived off base since I was married when I was in the military, but every few months, us NCO's had weekend duty at the barracks to make sure things didnt get crazy. We used to have Madden 92 tournaments on the Sega Genesis. What great memories. He was a true original and he surely made his mark on the NFL.

Sad to see him go.