Rising and Falling - Dallas and GB

Rackat

Reaction score
Both are 8-1 going into this weekend. Both are considered #1 and #2 in the NFC, with whichever analyst you happen to be watching them placing the two teams in Dallas/GB or GB/Dallas order. Bu that, to me is where the similarities end.
:star:
Romo - young, Moxie filled QB
Favre - old, Moxie filled QB

Edge - Dallas/Romo. While Favre is reaching the end of his career, Romo is really just starting out on his. Riding the pine for 3 years, I believe, helped Romo grow into a better QB. Romo will be playing when Favre has left the reins to the young gun in waiting. While GB is finding out whether their Favre replacement can play, Dallas can build around Romo and continue to improve.
Terrific twosome - Jones and the Barbarian. Sounds like a new tv series pilot. But, it is the two headed monster that is the Dallas running back tandem. One guy beats up the opposing defense, the other one jukes them out of their shoes.
One game wonder - the one headed attack of GB only showed a good game last weekend.

Edge - Dallas/Jones and the Barbarian
Receiving corps - I must be a horrible NFL fan, but I had to go and look up who the recievers are for GB.

Edge - Dallas/Owens, Crayton, Witten, Fasano, Hurd (and Glenn when he returns)
Offensive Line - Flozell the Hotel, Bigg Davis, Columbo, just to name the main three. Who plays for GB?

Edge - Dallas
Defense - GB has been playing lights out on D. But I just can't see their D comparing to Dallas. Tell me who on their D really "SCARES" you? If I were Favre, I would have eyes on the sides and back of my head so I could look out for Ellis, Ware, Spears, Canty, Tank, and LBers on the blitz.

Edge - Dallas.
Just my opinion, but I don't see GB on the same level as Dallas. Yeah, it's a Homeristic view, but one I believe to be true.

wileedog

Reaction score
Rackat;1763270 said:
Defense - GB has been playing lights out on D. But I just can't see their D comparing to Dallas. Tell me who on their D really "SCARES" you? If I were Favre, I would have eyes on the sides and back of my head so I could look out for Ellis, Ware, Spears, Canty, Tank, and LBers on the blitz..

Their front 7 is very, very good as a unit, particularly their LBers. They carry 8 DLs to every game and keep a strong rotation going. Ware is probably the best on either club, but after that I think their front 7 led by Hawk and others matches up very well with ours, and is probably deeper.

And Spears and Canty aren't playing at a level yet where any QB is worried about them, although Canty is at least improving.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
wileedog;1763279 said:
Their front 7 is very, very good as a unit, particularly their LBers. They carry 8 DLs to every game and keep a strong rotation going. Ware is probably the best on either club, but after that I think their front 7 led by Hawk and others matches up very well with ours, and is probably deeper.

And Spears and Canty aren't playing at a level yet where any QB is worried about them, although Canty is at least improving.

I also would give them the edge at this point on defense but not by much. With the return of Ellis our defense is playing much better and will continue to improve with the addition of Tank Johnson as he gets into shape. By season's end I think we will have the better defense going into the playoffs.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The thing that scares me the most about Greenbay is they have a lot of weapons on offense and they arent afraid to spread you out and let Favre pick you apart underneath.

sbark

Reaction score
I see the GB corners as playing pretty tough, can they go man up alone on TO? not all game but in spurts.....

Can Barnett or Hawk man up on Witten............

GB will go after our secondary.......need to hit him a couple time early on

????........How and Why can Pats and Giants take away Witten..........and we can't make quick adjustments to at least slow down Schokey....

Granted w/ Giants......appeared in taking away Witten......they gave it up to TO..........

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I love our defense and me being the homer I am I would take our D over Green Bays but by the end of the season I think you will be able to say Green Bays defense is as good as anyones in the entire league.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
sbark;1763296 said:
????........How and Why can Pats and Giants take away Witten..........and we can't make quick adjustments to at least slow down Schokey....

Granted w/ Giants......appeared in taking away Witten......they gave it up to TO..........

I think Wade has been more focused on taking away the big plays. Shockey had the one long catch right before the half that setup a FG, other then that most of his catches were pretty short. The Giants were so focused on Witten it ended up costing them in a big way on TO's second TD.

By eliminating the big plays it forced Eli to continually make plays on third down and he wasnt able to do it enough to keep up with Dallas' offense. In the end that was the difference in the game in my opinion.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I agree with most of the posters that GB's Defense is for real and would have the edge on D....their only weakness and it isn't much of one is at the Safety positions

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
WoW.

See this is the stuff I hate seeing. Complete & total over confidence.

You obviously know nothing about GB, you had to look up their WRs??

Greg Jennings is the real deal & a huge deep threat. Donald Driver is still a solid WR & is their possession type WR. The rookie James Jones is big, strong & fast.

Right now their top 3 is better than Dallas top 3 @ WR.

TO is better than any of them, but their 2 & 3 are better than ours.

Their TE Donald Lee is an very good recieving TE. In fact he used to be a WR.

Now GB defense is ROCK solid. Excellent front 7. Barnett & Hawk are studs. Baja Bimila(sp) is stong off the edge. They have excellent run stoppers & a very good set of CBs.

I dont think it would be that much of a reach to say they have the best D in the league.

The only areas Dallas is clearly better than GB is on the offensive line & at RB. TE is an advantage as well, but not as great as some may think.

:starspin

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CrazyMonster;1763489 said:
WoW.

Greg Jennings is the real deal & a huge deep threat. Donald Driver is still a solid WR & is their possession type WR. The rookie James Jones is big, strong & fast.

Now GB defense is ROCK solid. Excellent front 7. Barnett & Hawk are studs. Baja Bimila(sp) is stong off the edge. They have excellent run stoppers & a very good set of CBs.

I dont think it would be that much of a reach to say they have the best D in the league.

The only areas Dallas is clearly better than GB is on the offensive line & at RB. TE is an advantage as well, but not as great as some may think.

I dont either and its a young group of guys who will fly to the ball.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rackat;1763270 said:
Receiving corps - I must be a horrible NFL fan, but I had to go and look up who the recievers are for GB.

Offensive Line - Flozell the Hotel, Bigg Davis, Columbo, just to name the main three. Who plays for GB?

So since you don't follow GB and know nothing about them, the Cowboys must be better at every position. Got it.

GB's for real. It's going to be a great game, and I'm just glad it's at home. If things work out, the NFCC game will be at home, too.

alancdc

Reaction score
wileedog;1763279 said:

Agreed. May not know it if you don't see them play much, but Cullen Jenkins, DT, is playing like his big brother in Carolina was a few years ago. Hawk is a studd and they have really good corners. I'm not saying they are better than us on D, but they are very, very good.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Their WRs are not as good as ours. Witten and Fasano make our TEs much better. Our O line is better Our RBs are better. Overall on offense its not even close. On D- Just what offensive machines have they played? Their front seven is very solid but not great. Secondary has given up some plays. At BEST their D is the equal of ours. BUT with the HUGE edge we have on offense, we should win comfortably.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I was thinking more and more about this game last night and how important it just may be for home field advantage.

This game is gonna be all about Romo vs Farve from a media perspective.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I've thought for a while now that GB is for real. They have a soid front seven and excellent corners. And Favre to Driver can beat a lot of blitzes. We all know Favre will throw some picks, but he's seen it all and he knows what to do against any kind of pressure scheme. Our corners will have to make plays because Favre will get pressured and will throw the ball up in hopes this guy can make a play on the ball.

I do like our O-line better, and I think Ware is better than anything they have. We run the ball much better, too.

I know this, I'm very glad the game is at home.

Rackat

Reaction score
Some of you act like I didn't say it was Homeristic. Lighten up Frances.

No, I obviously don't follow the Packers. If I were a fan of the Packers, maybe that would be different, ya think? If you can name every starting player on every team, then you have way too much time on your hands.

I didn't say we were gonna blow their damn doors off, I said we had the edge. are they good? 8-1 says they are. Are they better than us? We'll find that out on Thanksgiving. I think we win the game and go on to get home field. But hey, I already said it was a Homeristic post.

SacredStar

Reaction score
WoW.

I agree on pretty much everything, except the Donald Lee part.

Favre is playing better now than he has since 1995, when he was winning MVP's. He spreads the ball around more and does a lot short dumpoffs and then takes a long shot down the field. The packers are experts at the seam/slant pass. That has been a huge play for them with tons of YAC. He also incorporates that shuttle pass in the face of pressure, and they have been very successful with that as well. Favre passed to 10 different receivers last week for over 350 yards. They just tested a 5 WR set vs. Minnesota and had success with that. They are really confusing defenses.

As far as their secondary, it is good. Harris and Woodson are good bump and run corners. They hold receivers as long as they can at the line. They are physical, but can be burned. Both have been flagged numerous times for PI because they maintain contact beyond the 5 yard limit.....way beyond it. Sometimes they get caught, but most of the time they don't.

Their safety's are young and inexperienced. Nick Collins might still be out, so that will be a plus. Atari Bigby has been playing spotty. One game he plays outstanding, the next he lags.

Their LB's are are major ballhawks. Barnett and AJ Hawk are fast, fast LB's who have a knack for being around the ball all the time.

Their front 7 is big in the middle and fast on the edge. Kampman is a stud, and will get his weekly sack or two.

Favre will have a field day unless we pressure him. We have to get to him or he will carve our secondary up. The only way to stop that offense is to get to Favre.

He has made mincemeat of secondaries that are better than ours.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
WoW.

Agreed with everything you say here, I've always followed the Pack closely. Real good friend of mine is a Pack fan and I've followed them since the Majik Man.

Your leaving out a few key comparisons.

Our OL is better.
We run the ball better.
We rush the passer better
And most importantly Romo is better than the 2007 Favre.

I think they have and will continue to overrely on the big pass play.
We've done very well the last two weeks playing a heavy dose of four across in the secondary focused on eliminating the big play.

I see a similar strategy working well against the Pack. I love Farve and I love their WR's, but this O just isnt built to go 80 yards in 10 plays. They dont run well enough, they dont pass block well enough and Farve is not consistent enough in the short passing game.
Not against our defense and especially not in Texas Stadium. For all the *****ing we do on this site about the laid back home crowd, thats not the case in BIG games. Texas Satadium can and does get as loud as any place in the league.
How many games since 1996 compare to this one. That joint will be rockin.