Riverwalk Scouting Report

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Well guys for those going to SA I'll throw in my scouting report. It is truly hot during the afternoon on the walk so take water when you walk it. My favorite for best food is the Casa del Rio, it's been ther the longest their food is not totally outrageous, the margaritas sort of are, $5.25 I think for a small genric one , and they go up from there. My favorite hotel if you want a happy hour thrown in is the Homewood Suites, a real runnerup is the La Quinta Convention Center. It has a decent free breakfast, the pool area is pretty large with shade and it is reall easy access to the parking. I would tell you I witnessed people who had their car broken into in the area, so just don't leave stuff in the car, lock it up. There is a really cool Teddy Roosevelt exhibit in the Menger if you're into history, they have his saddle, uniform, etc. from the rough riders, pretty cool. That hotel is so worth at least a walk thru, it oozes history. My meeting was in the newer Marriot River Center. I honestly don't think either of these places is worth the coin, but they have location. I did get lucky one time because of room issues and got comped the El Presidente Suite for a night at the Marriott, it was on top and had a bidet, jacuzzi, and all the trimmings. Got to admit it was cool. Really the best way to hold down expenses on the river walk is a small cooler for the pool and walking around with some cokes/beer. A cool side trip we made was a float down the Frio. For entertainment during the week there are two for ones for the River City Comedy Club in the mall, look at the info. booth, they are in a little SA magazine in a rack there, Don't ask the idiots working there, they're clueless. Also the River City Mall has an afternoon flute. band kind of thing and there is a movie theatre there as well. Decent food court as well. I also discovered some secret free parking that I can't tell you about for my day trip to camp at the Alamodome. I would also point out if one were so inclined one could enter the La Quinta pool without a key as you could do in the Marriotts as well. I quick dip would be the ticket after a hot walk walk. Also ingenral if you are traveling around both the walk and downtown areas at night please be careful, for those not familiar with the area the projects are within walking of the Alamodome. Be safe. Oh yeah there was a dog show going on at the Convention Center and everywhere is pet friendly, at least the La Quinta, Marriots ther were all kinds of dogs there. My only regret is that I was a week early for camp but it was a work trip so free was good. Anybody got questions I'll give them a shot. Don't forget to go by and see Tom Landry's marker in the state cemetary if you come by Austin, it's Cowboy Blue when the suns hits it right, truly pretty and a great way to complete a camp trip...

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Well guys for those going to SA I'll throw in my scouting report. It is truly hot during the afternoon on the walk so take water when you walk it.

My favorite for best food is the Casa del Rio, it's been ther the longest their food is not totally outrageous, the margaritas sort of are, $5.25 I think for a small genric one , and they go up from there.

My favorite hotel if you want a happy hour thrown in is the Homewood Suites, a real runnerup is the La Quinta Convention Center. It has a decent free breakfast, the pool area is pretty large with shade and it is reall easy access to the parking.

I would tell you I witnessed people who had their car broken into in the area, so just don't leave stuff in the car, lock it up. There is a really cool Teddy Roosevelt exhibit in the Menger if you're into history, they have his saddle, uniform, etc. from the rough riders, pretty cool. That hotel is so worth at least a walk thru, it oozes history.

My meeting was in the newer Marriot River Center. I honestly don't think either of these places is worth the coin, but they have location. I did get lucky one time because of room issues and got comped the El Presidente Suite for a night at the Marriott, it was on top and had a bidet, jacuzzi, and all the trimmings. Got to admit it was cool. Really the best way to hold down expenses on the river walk is a small cooler for the pool and walking around with some cokes/beer.

A cool side trip we made was a float down the Frio. For entertainment during the week there are two for ones for the River City Comedy Club in the mall, look at the info. booth, they are in a little SA magazine in a rack there, Don't ask the idiots working there, they're clueless. Also the River City Mall has an afternoon flute. band kind of thing and there is a movie theatre there as well. Decent food court as well.

I also discovered some secret free parking that I can't tell you about for my day trip to camp at the Alamodome.

I would also point out if one were so inclined one could enter the La Quinta pool without a key as you could do in the Marriotts as well. I quick dip would be the ticket after a hot walk walk.

Also ingenral if you are traveling around both the walk and downtown areas at night please be careful, for those not familiar with the area the projects are within walking of the Alamodome. Be safe. Oh yeah there was a dog show going on at the Convention Center and everywhere is pet friendly, at least the La Quinta, Marriots ther were all kinds of dogs there.

My only regret is that I was a week early for camp but it was a work trip so free was good. Anybody got questions I'll give them a shot. Don't forget to go by and see Tom Landry's marker in the state cemetary if you come by Austin, it's Cowboy Blue when the suns hits it right, truly pretty and a great way to complete a camp trip...

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
I live here...lets get a CZ club together and go see the practices.
As for good food,just drive north I37/281,exit East Basse Rd and go to "La Posada del Rey"(Broadway and Basse)
Best Fajitas EVER!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
BarryRay or Artie, is there ANY decent parking near the AlamoDome?
Also I also was told to go to Aldaco's restaurant near the Alamodome for their enchiladas and the Mexican three milks cake
Is it nearby or in the general area?

Go Cowboys!

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Well hypothetically speaking if you take a disabled person all meters are free all day with the placard, there are gobs of lots in the La Quinta Alamo area and I think there is some amount of Alamodome parking, I should have checked the Alamodome parking better but I found a place near the La Quinta/Marriot and I'll probably just walk since I want to walk the area as well afterwards. My wife is actually disabled and we will probably just wheel her over in the chair. I love San Antonio but its sort of like Las Vegas if you get off the riverwalk it has issues such as street crime. I mean you can see the projects about a block down the Interstate past the Tower. I did not get to the Tower but it is newly remodeled and I know it is cheaper for lunch, it was before the remodel actually my runnerup for restaurant in the area. The food was decent and oh the view of it all is fantastic and relaxing. I really think this is our year, see soemthing special early, the real key for the Cowboys is keeping Romo healthy but honestly the Vikings were winners with Johnson I think he is better thanhe gets credit for. Ialso miss hard knocks so much, it was magical remember Emitt driving the bus!!!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1550933 said:
Well guys for those going to SA I'll throw in my scouting report. It is truly hot during the afternoon on the walk so take water when you walk it.

My favorite for best food is the Casa del Rio, it's been ther the longest their food is not totally outrageous, the margaritas sort of are, $5.25 I think for a small genric one , and they go up from there.

My favorite hotel if you want a happy hour thrown in is the Homewood Suites, a real runnerup is the La Quinta Convention Center. It has a decent free breakfast, the pool area is pretty large with shade and it is reall easy access to the parking.

I would tell you I witnessed people who had their car broken into in the area, so just don't leave stuff in the car, lock it up. There is a really cool Teddy Roosevelt exhibit in the Menger if you're into history, they have his saddle, uniform, etc. from the rough riders, pretty cool. That hotel is so worth at least a walk thru, it oozes history.

My meeting was in the newer Marriot River Center. I honestly don't think either of these places is worth the coin, but they have location. I did get lucky one time because of room issues and got comped the El Presidente Suite for a night at the Marriott, it was on top and had a bidet, jacuzzi, and all the trimmings. Got to admit it was cool. Really the best way to hold down expenses on the river walk is a small cooler for the pool and walking around with some cokes/beer.

A cool side trip we made was a float down the Frio. For entertainment during the week there are two for ones for the River City Comedy Club in the mall, look at the info. booth, they are in a little SA magazine in a rack there, Don't ask the idiots working there, they're clueless. Also the River City Mall has an afternoon flute. band kind of thing and there is a movie theatre there as well. Decent food court as well.

I also discovered some secret free parking that I can't tell you about for my day trip to camp at the Alamodome.

I would also point out if one were so inclined one could enter the La Quinta pool without a key as you could do in the Marriotts as well. I quick dip would be the ticket after a hot walk walk.

Also ingenral if you are traveling around both the walk and downtown areas at night please be careful, for those not familiar with the area the projects are within walking of the Alamodome. Be safe. Oh yeah there was a dog show going on at the Convention Center and everywhere is pet friendly, at least the La Quinta, Marriots ther were all kinds of dogs there.

My only regret is that I was a week early for camp but it was a work trip so free was good. Anybody got questions I'll give them a shot. Don't forget to go by and see Tom Landry's marker in the state cemetary if you come by Austin, it's Cowboy Blue when the suns hits it right, truly pretty and a great way to complete a camp trip...

That is MEAN, however I did :laugh2: :lmao: :lmao2:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I'm going to be there for a business trip during camp. How far is it from the Mariott to the Dome? Is it within walking distance?

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1550950 said:
BarryRay or Artie, is there ANY decent parking near the AlamoDome?
Also I also was told to go to Aldaco's restaurant near the Alamodome for their enchiladas and the Mexican three milks cake
Is it nearby or in the general area?

Go Cowboys!

Yes,practices are free admission but you have to pay for parking($5),and there is plenty of parking space around the dome.
I don't know about the restaurant you're talking about.Never been to it.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1551503 said:
I'm going to be there for a business trip during camp. How far is it from the Mariott to the Dome? Is it within walking distance?

Let's just put it this way.
If you fall from your bed in the Marriott,you could easily land in the dome.
Seriously,its not a long walk and you can always refresh yourself with a cold one while watching the practice.
They have concession stands with pizza,beer,sodas,water,Cowboys gear.
Last time they were here I went about five times with a sharpie,a long shoe string and a mini helmet.Tie the helmet and the sharpie with the shoe string and go fishing for autographs.
Got it signed by Tony Romo,Mario Edwards and James Whalen(2003).
This time around I have a full size helmet.
Let's see what happens.:)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a different experience. Go to Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk. And take an smart arse attitude. That's all I will say about it.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
jazzcat22;1551559 said:
For a different experience. Go to Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk. And take an smart arse attitude. That's all I will say about it.

That is a must do when you hit the Riverwalk.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
BARRYRAY;1551386 said:
I love San Antonio but its sort of like Las Vegas if you get off the riverwalk it has issues such as street crime. I mean you can see the projects about a block down the Interstate past the Tower.

In some parts of San Antonio, there are million dollar houses right across the street from very modest housing. This goes back to the days when the really rich folks had the help living on their property in their smaller houses.

I remember driving with my Dad through San Antonio and asking why there were bars on the windows on one side of the street and not on the other. He said that was because the people living in the nice houses could afford elecronic security, which was pricey back in the early 80s.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Artie Lange;1551551 said:
Let's just put it this way.
If you fall from your bed in the Marriott,you could easily land in the dome.
Seriously,its not a long walk and you can always refresh yourself with a cold one while watching the practice.
They have concession stands with pizza,beer,sodas,water,Cowboys gear.
Last time they were here I went about five times with a sharpie,a long shoe string and a mini helmet.Tie the helmet and the sharpie with the shoe string and go fishing for autographs.
Got it signed by Tony Romo,Mario Edwards and James Whalen(2003).
This time around I have a full size helmet.
Let's see what happens.:)

Thanks for the info. After you said that I mapquested it, and it's about a half a mile, on the other side of I-37. So I'll probably walk. Plus parking at the Marriott is like $20/day, so any money I can save on parking will be a plus. Hope it's not 120 degrees.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I was in SA just a few weeks ago. Dick's Last resort was fun.

Boudros is a must do if you like guacamole. Esquire Magazine rates it as one of the 50 best restaurant sin the USA.

The Hard Rock Cafe is always a good time. Never been to one that I did not love.

Artie Lange, I will try those fajitas next time I go. I made myself a note. I wish I was going to make it to camp this year.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1551872 said:
I was in SA just a few weeks ago. Dick's Last resort was fun.

Boudros is a must do if you like guacamole. Esquire Magazine rates it as one of the 50 best restaurant sin the USA.

The Hard Rock Cafe is always a good time. Never been to one that I did not love.

Artie Lange, I will try those fajitas next time I go. I made myself a note. I wish I was going to make it to camp this year.

Check the out Hos...you won't be disappointed.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Anyone who goes to the Riverwalk and appreciates music has to go to Howl at the Moon. For those who don't know, it's a dueling piano bar where patrons can put requests in jars (your's is more likely to get played if money is attached). Anyway, it's a comedy routine type thing and is hilarious. But, the musicians are truly gifted. You could literally sit there for hours listening to them. Suggest you get there early to get a seat so you aren't left standing.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;1552777 said:
Anyone who goes to the Riverwalk and appreciates music has to go to Howl at the Moon. For those who don't know, it's a dueling piano bar where patrons can put requests in jars (your's is more likely to get played if money is attached). Anyway, it's a comedy routine type thing and is hilarious. But, the musicians are truly gifted. You could literally sit there for hours listening to them. Suggest you get there early to get a seat so you aren't left standing.
Hmmmm, sounds like Pete's.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;1552777 said:

easily my favorite place in san antonio!

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
peplaw06;1551867 said:
Thanks for the info. After you said that I mapquested it, and it's about a half a mile, on the other side of I-37. So I'll probably walk. Plus parking at the Marriott is like $20/day, so any money I can save on parking will be a plus. Hope it's not 120 degrees.

it's like a 5 minute walk.

it's not far at all. plus, there isn't a lot of parking over there.

definitely walk.

PS...you might see cowboys going by on their bikes.

:)