Riverwalk Scouting Report

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover;1552828 said:
it's like a 5 minute walk.

it's not far at all. plus, there isn't a lot of parking over there.

definitely walk.

PS...you might see cowboys going by on their bikes.

:)

In the Alamodome?:confused:
Plenty of parking there...I remember tailgating there for a Saints game when the Saints were here in '05.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
Artie Lange;1552854 said:
In the Alamodome?:confused:
Plenty of parking there...I remember tailgating there for a Saints game when the Saints were here in '05.

i dunno, maybe it's changed since i drove there last. i went to a spurs game way back in the day and had a horrible time finding parking. ever since then i just park downtown and walk over. it's way more fun that way anyways, IMO.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BARRYRAY;1550932 said:
My favorite for best food is the Casa del Rio, it's been ther the longest their food is not totally outrageous, the margaritas sort of are, $5.25 I think for a small genric one , and they go up from there.

I wish I could get a margarita for $5.25. Everything (except tap beer non-import) starts around $7.50 here and goes up. Even house wine.

Hostile;1551872 said:
I was in SA just a few weeks ago. Dick's Last resort was fun.

Yeah, that place is amusing in small doses. There is one in Dallas too I beleive, but I've only been to the one on the riverwalk.

Stautner

Reaction score
I can't believe no one has mentioned:

1. Market Square - Shops, restaurants and an across the border Mexican style market for sellling goods.

2. Mi Tierra - the king of San Antonio Mexican restaurants. Also has a Mexican bakery. Located at Market Sqaure.

3. THE ALAMO.

These places aren't on the riverwalk, although not far. An easy walk to the Alamo. Trollys can take you to any of the favored destinations.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;1552777 said:
Anyone who goes to the Riverwalk and appreciates music has to go to Howl at the Moon. For those who don't know, it's a dueling piano bar where patrons can put requests in jars (your's is more likely to get played if money is attached). Anyway, it's a comedy routine type thing and is hilarious. But, the musicians are truly gifted. You could literally sit there for hours listening to them. Suggest you get there early to get a seat so you aren't left standing.

Begging for tips eh? Classy. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;1553055 said:
3. THE ALAMO.

If not just to see the Alamo, to see where Ozzy peed on it!

mainphoto.jpg

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;1553057 said:
If not just to see the Alamo, to see where Ozzy peed on it!

mainphoto.jpg

Only a yankee with no respect for Texas would have made that comment. Perhaps you should stay in in nyc.

Ozzie should have had his pecker sliced off.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;1553062 said:
Only a yankee with no respect for Texas would have made that comment. Perhaps you should stay in in nyc.

Yikes!

No one should wish that on another man. Do you have high blood pressure?

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;1553066 said:
Yikes!

No one should wish that on another man. Do you have high blood pressure?

Wow - either none of you are Texans or Texans are losing the spirit that is Texas - independent and fiercly loyal to our convictions and to the state.

Of course I wouldn't ACTUALLY cut his pecker off (though it would cross my mind) - but it's the sentement that matters.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;1553062 said:

Umm, I was born and lived in Texas for over 30 years before moving to NY in Jan. 2005. I still fly the Texas flag and my wife who is 100% New York and believe it is the best place on the planet doesn't like it and causes friction, but I stand my ground and lone star still flies at my house.

Perhaps you just don't know and we have different opinions of humor. I don't take everything as serious as you and am probably a happier man because of it.

You lose, thanks for playing though.

TEXAS-BG.GIF

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Hostile;1551872 said:
I was in SA just a few weeks ago. Dick's Last resort was fun.

I remember going to Dick's Last resort in Dallas a few years back. You could see a photo album they had at the bar...Amazing what some chicks will do for a free drink...

:laugh2:

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;1553075 said:
Umm, I was born and lived in Texas for over 30 years before moving to NY in Jan. 2005. I still fly the Texas flag and my wife who is 100% New York and believe it is the best place on the planet doesn't like it and causes friction, but I stand my ground and lone star still flies at my house.

Perhaps you just don't know and we have different opinions of humor. I don't take everything as serious as you and am probably a happier man because of it.

You lose, thanks for playing though.

TEXAS-BG.GIF

You lose .....?

Sounds like you take this a little more serious than you indicate.

Sorry - the Alamo is sacred.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;1553088 said:
You lose .....?

Sounds like you take this a little more serious than you indicate.

I said it with a smile on my face. :p:
Stautner;1553088 said:
Sorry - the Alamo is sacred.

I agree, but so are many other things. My mother passed away of cancer recently and I love and respect her very much, but I still laugh and joke about things she did. I'm not disrespecting her when I do it. I'm keeping her memory alive.

I know all about the history of the Alamo and always watch documentaries about it when they come on. I even watched John Wayne's "The Alamo" about two weeks ago on TV! The Omni Theater at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History plays "The Battle of the Alamo." which is pretty good.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;1553110 said:
I said it with a smile on my face. :p:

I agree, but so are many other things. My mother passed away of cancer recently and I love and respect her very much, but I still laugh and joke about things she did. I'm not disrespecting her when I do it. I'm keeping her memory alive.

I know all about the history of the Alamo and always watch documentaries about it when they come on. I even watched John Wayne's "The Alamo" about two weeks ago on TV! The Omni Theater at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History plays "The Battle of the Alamo." which is pretty good.

I mean no disrepect to your mother, but you brought up the analogy, and I'm guessing you wouldn't have a smile on your face if Ozzie pissed on your mother's grave ..........

You see, I don't have a problem with joking, but someone intentially disrespecting the Alamo the way Ozzie did bothers me.

Nevertheless, lets move on from that.

Don't you love John Wayne's version of The Alamo? It may not be quite as historically accurate as other versions, but it damn sure is more entertaining and inspirational.

cowboys19

Reaction score
at ***** last resort are the waiters really rude to you?
If thats true I'm thinking they have alot of fights there.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
cowboys19;1558114 said:
at ***** last resort are the waiters really rude to you?
If thats true I'm thinking they have alot of fights there.

yes, but in a fun way. i've never seen any fights there. heck, i've never seen fights ANYWHERE in SA.

and honestly, if you don't know what you're walking into when you go there, you probably don't belong there.

i mean...it's called D-I-C-K-S. duh. :laugh2:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I would add this. If you're flying in and you're staying for several days, get a trolley pass. Don't bother renting a car. The trolleys are convenient to virtually everything, and you don't have to fool with parking. And it's easy to walk to the Alamodome from the Marriott or anywhere else you stay near the Riverwalk. If you plan on going away from downtown, like to 6 flags, the Zoo, or Sea World, renting a car might make more sense.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover;1558150 said:
yes, but in a fun way. i've never seen any fights there. heck, i've never seen fights ANYWHERE in SA.

and honestly, if you don't know what you're walking into when you go there, you probably don't belong there.

i mean...it's called D-I-C-K-S. duh. :laugh2:
I had just left the Fudruckers when a couple of guys got into a big scuffle. Within a minute or 2, a dozen cops riding bicycles were all over it. I was impressed with the response.

ologan

Reaction score
Stautner;1553055 said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned:

1. Market Square - Shops, restaurants and an across the border Mexican style market for sellling goods.

2. Mi Tierra - the king of San Antonio Mexican restaurants. Also has a Mexican bakery. Located at Market Sqaure.

3. THE ALAMO.

These places aren't on the riverwalk, although not far. An easy walk to the Alamo. Trollys can take you to any of the favored destinations.

Agree wholeheartedly on Mi Tierra. While I was born in Houston,my family moved to San Antonio when I was 7,and lived there thru my early military duty after college. I consider it HOME,and where I got my first exposure to the 'Boys in the real early 60's. There are any number of great,great mexican restaurants beside Mi Tierra...La Fonda on Broadway near St. Peters church (If it's still there?),Karams on, I believe Commerce,is outstanding. I don't know if Hipps Bubble Room is still operating near SAC,(San Antonio College),but they had the coldest beer in town.