RKG Mantra

Verdict

Reaction score
Their intentional mis-interpretation of it.

They love football so much that they screw up enough that they can't get on the field. Whatever definition you want to use, they are still falling short.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They love football so much that they screw up enough that they can't get on the field. Whatever definition you want to use, they are still falling short.

I don't think getting an offseason DUI necessarily means a guy doesn't love football. In fact, I think those things are largely unrelated.

And I'm not the one mocking the RKG definition. I'm only pointing out that it doesn't mean what people want to claim it means.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't think getting an offseason DUI necessarily means a guy doesn't love football. In fact, I think those things are largely unrelated.

And I'm not the one mocking the RKG definition. I'm only pointing out that it doesn't mean what people want to claim it means.

The guys doing this stupid **** don't meet any of the RKG definition. Not saying they have to be choirboys to be RKGs. But these guys don't care about football enough to stay out of the ditch.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guys doing this stupid **** don't meet any of the RKG definition. Not saying they have to be choirboys to be RKGs. But these guys don't care about football enough to stay out of the ditch.

Like I said, I don't think a DUI and being passionate about football are necessarily related. I imagine most of the best players in NFL history went out drinking heavily most offseasons, and some of them probably drive home after.

The RKG thing was a description of the kinds of football players they want on the field. Because when football is important to you, you work harder to get better at it. It wasn't really meant to be a measure of how these guys spend their free time.

Now, fans try to make it that way because they get frustrated by suspensions. I understand the frustration, because I share it. I just don't think it has a lot to do with the football character we've been assembling.

That's especially the case with the PED suspensions. In fact, those might be a case of players caring to much about football as they try to position themselves for free agency. We've had a couple of those recently with Lawrence and now Irving.

I know people want a nice, clean, one-size fits all excuse for this. But I think the reality is it's probably a compound problem.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact of the matter is almost all teams draft with the RKG mentality. We just feel the need to broadcast it like it is something unique or different.

Verdict

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't think a DUI and being passionate about football are necessarily related. I imagine most of the best players in NFL history went out drinking heavily most offseasons, and some of them probably drive home after.

The RKG thing was a description of the kinds of football players they want on the field. Because when football is important to you, you work harder to get better at it. It wasn't really meant to be a measure of how these guys spend their free time.

Now, fans try to make it that way because they get frustrated by suspensions. I understand the frustration, because I share it. I just don't think it has a lot to do with the football character we've been assembling.

That's especially the case with the PED suspensions. In fact, those might be a case of players caring to much about football as they try to position themselves for free agency. We've had a couple of those recently with Lawrence and now Irving.

I know people want a nice, clean, one-size fits all excuse for this. But I think the reality is it's probably a compound problem.

Although I disagree with your premise, I do understand what you are saying. You are correct that it is frustrating. I can't imagine a Cowboys fan NOT being frustrated by all of this stupidity.

I am actually one of the people who think that the league is far too concerned by what it's atheletes are doing off the field, other than PEDs. But they do care, so we should too. So far, Gregory has been a waste of a premium draft pick.

Lawrence is starting to look a lot more suspect too. He can't stay healthy and can't stay on the field for other reasons and we pissed off two picks on him. Now Irving is going to be suspended. That's three DEs who are not dependable which is far too many on a team, let alone all three at ONE position.

Who would be shocked if Taco and Moore get suspended too before opening day? Not me. Lol. I don't know what it is about defensive ends, but this team seems snake bit by that position.

Verdict

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is almost all teams draft with the RKG mentality. We just feel the need to broadcast it like it is something unique or different.

I like your post, but I'm not sure it is totally true. The Bengals don't seem overly concerned by character. The Ravens don't really seem to be searching for choir boys either.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever been a game-day Coach Garrett supporter.

But the VAST majority of players on this current team and big time RKGs.
There are 50-60 players.

Love the game of football, put in the time,support your teammates...etc.
Didn't they have 100% particpation in the offseason program?

The breakdowns come in their desperation to finally build a real defense.
Notice its almost completely on defense.

Garrett is the coach, he does NOT have full and complete control of who they bring in.
We already know he was not really for Hardy, Gregory, and maybe some of the others.

The theory, as they say in New England, is if you get a strong locker room with the culture finally entrenched, then you can gamble on a few less desirables hear or there.

The leaders: Witten, Lee, Dak, Frederick, Smith, Martin, maybe B Jones, etc...ARE big time RKGs.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
RKG does not equal choirboy, that is for sure.

But no doubt, Dallas has stretched their neck out on a 5-6 players over the last 5 years (out of a couple of hundred) to see if they could have it work out.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever been a game-day Coach Garrett supporter.

But the VAST majority of players on this current team and big time RKGs.
There are 50-60 players.

Love the game of football, put in the time,support your teammates...etc.
Didn't they have 100% particpation in the offseason program?

The breakdowns come in their desperation to finally build a real defense.
Notice its almost completely on defense.

Garrett is the coach, he does NOT have full and complete control of who they bring in.
We already know he was not really for Hardy, Gregory, and maybe some of the others.

The theory, as they say in New England, is if you get a strong locker room with the culture finally entrenched, then you can gamble on a few less desirables hear or there.

The leaders: Witten, Lee, Dak, Frederick, Smith, Martin, maybe B Jones, etc...ARE big time RKGs.
I could add Dez too

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like your post, but I'm not sure it is totally true. The Bengals don't seem overly concerned by character. The Ravens don't really seem to be searching for choir boys either.
The Bengals are precisely the reason I said "almost all teams".