Ro McClain's house fire ruled arson

erod

Reaction score
It was just discussed on The Fan that Rolando McClain's house that burned was a case of arson.

The $1.5 million home had been on the market for six months.

They also said sources had told them that he's looking for the biggest pile of cash on his next deal, and that Dallas would get no hometown discount.

Your thoughts on signing him now?

Moderator edit:

Fire at McClain's house ruled arson
Updated: February 13, 2015, 7:09 PM ET
Associated Press

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama fire officials say a blaze that gutted an NFL player's Tuscaloosa County home has been ruled arson.

Alabama State Fire Marshal Ed Paulk said in a release Friday that investigators have determined a late December blaze that destroyed the home of Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain was set intentionally.

Details on what led investigators to that conclusion weren't immediately available. A phone message left with the state fire marshal's office wasn't immediately returned.

McClain's brick mansion was on the market for $1.5 million at the time of the fire. Authorities have said the fire at McClain's home was suspicious because the house was unoccupied and expensive. Authorities have also said a vehicle was seen speeding away from the scene.

Paulk says no arrests have been made.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...-cowboys-lb-rolando-mcclain-house-ruled-arson

Last edited by a moderator:

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
I think another radio station mentioned something similar a few months back re: his demands, but nothing to back it up other than rumors. I hope he stays

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It was just discussed on The Fan that Rolando McClain's house that burned was a case of arson.

They also said sources had told them that he's looking for the biggest pile of cash on his next deal, and that Dallas would get no hometown discount.

If this is true. Sean Lee plays the Mike. See ya McClain

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It is early. You don't start off negotiation by having your agent low ball an offer

tm1119

Reaction score
It was damn obvious that it was shady when it happened. I'm certainly no lawyer, but sounds like it could be a problem for Ro. Wonder if he was dumb enough to leave a paper trail back to himself that the police can find.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Maybe Ro thought that he was having a fire sale?

JDSmith

Reaction score
My first thought when it happened was that it was for the insurance.

My second thought was that if I was a big time gambler and wanted to do something to derail the Cowboys D it might be to burn down the unoccupied house of the new defensive linchpin who's struggled with his mindset to the point of retiring from football before. Something like that could be a huge distraction for a guy who, because of his history, appears mentally fragile.

Or maybe it was just a firebug who saw a huge unoccupied house there for the burning.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I will continue to say that I will never understand why "fans" want players to play a game as violent, physical, long term health and potentially life threatening....for a discount!!!!!!!!!! Are the owners selling the game "experience" at a discount? Is there a "cap" on what tickets, parking, jerseys, beer, suites, hot dogs, popcorn, hats etc...can be sold at?

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
It was damn obvious that it was shady when it happened. I'm certainly no lawyer, but sounds like it could be a problem for Ro. Wonder if he was dumb enough to leave a paper trail back to himself that the police can find.
Come on, you can't just assume he did it because it was on the market for a while. Kids could have broken in and started smoking those tweeds. I'm not a big fan of bringing him back for anything other than an incentive based deal, but stretching to call him an arsonist, come on.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
At the time that it happened it was reported that a car was seen leaving the scene of the fire.

It stinks of fraud obviously. We will see what comes of it. The web is not exactly brimming with facts of the case. I'm pretty sure that he was in Dallas so it would have to be a conspiracy and I don't have the energy frankly.

tm1119

Reaction score
Come on, you can't just assume he did it because it was on the market for a while. Kids could have broken in and started smoking those tweeds. I'm not a big fan of bringing him back for anything other than an incentive based deal, but stretching to call him an arsonist, come on.

:rolleyes: you can be naive all you want man. And I never said McClain is an arsonist....he just paid one.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I will continue to say that I will never understand why "fans" want players to play a game as violent, physical, long term health and potentially life threatening....for a discount!!!!!!!!!! Are the owners selling the game "experience" at a discount? Is there a "cap" on what tickets, parking, jerseys, beer, suites, hot dogs, popcorn, hats etc...can be sold at?

and I'll never understand how "fans" can't comprehend how a player can net more money playing for a team in a city with no state income taxes, cheaper cost of living, better overall team (O-line) that can prolong his career and earnings not to mention the greater marketing opportunities (& therefore more money outside of their football salary) even though the actual salary paid is less than they could have received elsewhere. In other words, a player can make more by taking less with some teams and Dallas is one of those teams that can offer the benefits mentioned

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
[quote="tm1119, post: 5978391, member: 5465"] :rolleyes: you can be naive all you want man. And I never said McClain is an arsonist....he just paid one.[/quote]

He would be charged with arson :rolleyes: making him an arsonist :rolleyes:

And naive is charging a man with.a crime based on a forum post. You seem to believe everything you read, I have a bridge you can buy :rolleyes:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

You said it yourself, it's because of the salary cap. Every signing impacts who else can be signed. If enough guys give a hometown discount they can have a much better team. If was like baseball with no spending limits nobody would care.

ccb04

Reaction score
I've been saying for a while that I'd prefer to resign Carter and Durant. And that was prior to the arson thing. While I love Ro's physical presence...there's just too many questions for me regarding him. And then there's apparently been reports that he's seeking the biggest deal possible.

I think Carter is starting to come into his own, led the team in takeaways & offers some versatility. Durant can play any of the 3 LB spots, is loved by coaches & teammates alike...and was playing the best football of his career prior to his injury. He also likely wouldn't cost too much. Both Lee and Hitchens could man the Mike spot.

Last edited: