Rob Phillips on keeping Tyler at LG

John813

Reaction score
Zach Martin also was likely to be a guard in the NFL due to his arm length.
Not many teams had him as a tackle, especially left, even though he was one in college.

When Martin came in, Left Tackle and Right Tackle spots were filled and then in 2015 they signed Collins.

Now, we got a wide open gap at LT with the draft, Asim Richards and Tyler Smith.
Maybe they can get lucky and get a day 1 starting LT at 24, but that is unlikely.

IMO he's your best shot at the blindside now that the Front office let Tyron leave.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Zach Martin also was likely to be a guard in the NFL due to his arm length.
Not many teams had him as a tackle, especially left, even though he was one in college.

When Martin came in, Left Tackle and Right Tackle spots were filled and then in 2015 they signed Collins.

Now, we got a wide open gap at LT with the draft, Asim Richards and Tyler Smith.
Maybe they can get lucky and get a day 1 starting LT at 24, but that is unlikely.

IMO he's your best shot at the blindside now that the Front office let Tyron leave.
Right. Tyler was seen as a tackle prospect who was available when we picked because of penalty problems. They wanted to shift him to guard temporarily because Tyron was nearing the end of his great run. Now, I don't think they knew how well Tyler would play guard, but the plan was always for him to be the next LT. I'm hoping that maybe Asim will play well enough at LT to keep Tyler at LG, but that's questionable (even though I liked what I saw from Richards).

I really think the LT spot is being overthought. This is why you draft players, to be able to move on from aging players. We have two young guys to vie for this spot and to also get LG settled, with Bass in contention. I'm far more concerned about center.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
IMO he's your best shot at the blindside now that the Front office let Tyron leave
That's just it John.......the position is still a question mark even with Tyler moving there coz we are not sure how good he can be. So now you have three question marks as opposed to two. I guess my point is.......find a LT via draft or free agency

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Martin was always viewed as a guard coming out of college....Tyler Smith was specifically drafted to replace Tyron Smith, he played left tackle his rookie season when Tyron was injured again and when Tyron came back towards the end of the year, he was moved to right tackle....so Tyler should be moved back to left tackle, let Bass, Richard, Ball, Edoga, (bring Collins back)etc battle it out at left guard and draft a center....

John813

Reaction score
Right. Tyler was seen as a tackle prospect who was available when we picked because of penalty problems. They wanted to shift him to guard temporarily because Tyron was nearing the end of his great run. Now, I don't think they knew how well Tyler would play guard, but the plan was always for him to be the next LT. I'm hoping that maybe Asim will play well enough at LT to keep Tyler at LG, but that's questionable (even though I liked what I saw from Richards).

I really think the LT spot is being overthought. This is why you draft players, to be able to move on from aging players. We have two young guys to vie for this spot and to also get LG settled, with Bass in contention. I'm far more concerned about center.
Yea, left tackle I'm not terribly worried about. I think Tyler can do a good job there and Richards/Bass can fight over LG.
Like you, the center spot I'm more curious about how the team addresses that spot.

That's just it John.......the position is still a question mark even with Tyler moving there coz we are not sure how good he can be. So now you have three question marks as opposed to two. I guess my point is.......find a LT via draft or free agency
I think based off his rookie year he showed enough positives that he could very well be the Left tackle long term there.
He was thrown into the fire, and while he had some bad games, he was a raw rookie that barely got a lot of practice at LT/nor was Tulane a powerhouse at teaching tech/conditioning.
Last year he was AP at guard, but also his 2nd year in the league, with one full offseason in a NFL weight room.
I feel like if the coaches are telling him to prepare for LT, then he has enough time to re-adjust.

Even at guard, he was a penalty magnet. 13 called penalties, 10 enforced. So, it's not like the switch saw him being able to mask his holding/false starts.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
:clap:he's an ALL-Pro, leave him alone.

BTW.....Remember what the late Reggie White did to Larry Allen? (lol)

Sounds good and all....but I will say it...Bass is our best run blocker....So what you gonna do? You gotta find a way to get that kid on the field...nice problem to have.

:popcorn:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyler wasn't drafted to be a guard. If smith sucked at tackle then ok leave him at guard otherwise you kick him to left tackle a d bass develops into a pretty good guard. Either draft a center or hope Hoffman is good enough full time.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Good grief all this so called hall of fame talent and we have to hide them at guard. This team is pathetic.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think Smith would be fine at T, but the penalty issue could become significantly worse with a move outside. I vote to keep him inside, especially with a good chance you end up with a rookie C this year. I don't see why that is such a bad thing, especially in a division where NY, Washington, and Philly all have excellent interior DLines that can wreck games.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Why did the OL play better overall in 2022 when he played LT?

I also don’t see why it’s considered a slam dunk that drafting a left tackle at pick 24 guarantees a good starter. It doesn’t.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I love how people just assume that it’s easy to draft a starting LT at pick #24. It’s a lot easier said than done.
Damn I didn’t see that before saying the same thing.

I’d rather have a dominant center than like the 5-6th best tackle in that draft.