Rob Phillips on keeping Tyler at LG

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I love how people just assume that it’s easy to draft a starting LT at pick #24. It’s a lot easier said than done.
Most years yes. This year, the OT depth is unique. They should get a Day One starter at OT or C at pick 24.

Should.

They could go rogue and ignore all of the analytics and common sense and go draft a LB at 24.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Serviceable???? He played his whole rookie season at tackle....for the often injured Tyron..
Yes, and he did a serviceable job. He was not close to performing as one of the top tackles (I know he was a rookie). Put him there long term and he'll likley be a slightly above average tackle. He'll be top 5 guard, IMO.

Tackle is not his best position.

tm1119

Reaction score
Most years yes. This year, the OT depth is unique. They should get a Day One starter at OT or C at pick 24.

Should.

They could go rogue and ignore all of the analytics and common sense and go draft a LB at 24.
There’s good RT depth in the draft. I’m not so sure you could confidently say many of these guys are going to play LT day 1 in the nfl like we will need them to

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Zach Martin also was likely to be a guard in the NFL due to his arm length.
Not many teams had him as a tackle, especially left, even though he was one in college.

When Martin came in, Left Tackle and Right Tackle spots were filled and then in 2015 they signed Collins.

Now, we got a wide open gap at LT with the draft, Asim Richards and Tyler Smith.
Maybe they can get lucky and get a day 1 starting LT at 24, but that is unlikely.

IMO he's your best shot at the blindside now that the Front office let Tyron leave.
Look at OT prospects. Good chance to get a starter on day one.

tm1119

Reaction score
Yes, and he did a serviceable job. He was not close to performing as one of the top tackles. Put him there and he'll likley be a slightly above average tackle. He'll be top 5 guard.

Tackle is not his best position.
Is it not also entirely possible that he progressed his 2nd year in the NFL coming from a small school?

1942willys

Reaction score
Is it not also entirely possible that he progressed his 2nd year in the NFL coming from a small school?
sure it is possible; but when you have someone that plays ALL PRO at one position and you can be fairly sure he will not at the other, which one do you choose?
Now when he had to Zach did a good job at RT; but he is a HOF player at guard

sbark

Reaction score
Lots a #1 piks at DT inside NFCE, keeping him inside offsets.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There’s good RT depth in the draft. I’m not so sure you could confidently say many of these guys are going to play LT day 1 in the nfl like we will need them to
Fuaga, Guyton, Mims, and Suamataia all look like prototype RT but I think they could all play LT.

Latham is a Guard to me.

Fautanu can play LT.

Tyron Smith only had RT experience in college.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Martin was always viewed as a guard coming out of college....Tyler Smith was specifically drafted to replace Tyron Smith, he played left tackle his rookie season when Tyron was injured again and when Tyron came back towards the end of the year, he was moved to right tackle....so Tyler should be moved back to left tackle, let Bass, Richard, Ball, Edoga, (bring Collins back)etc battle it out at left guard and draft a center....
Fans keep on saying that Tyler was 100% slotted as the replacement for Tyron. Two years later, he’s still at guard.

He’s good at guard. I don’t care what fans hoped for, opined about or armchair GMd him to be. None of that matters.

He’s not the Cowboys LT until the coaches play him at LT. I think that would be a mistake but we’ll see what the team actually decides.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Fans keep on saying that Tyler was 100% slotted as the replacement for Tyron. Two years later, he’s still at guard.

He’s good at guard. I don’t care what fans hoped for, opined about or armchair GMd him to be. None of that matters.

He’s not the Cowboys LT until the coaches play him at LT. I think that would be a mistake but we’ll see what the team actually decides.
NO, it was not the FANS that said it, the clown show of an organization that stated it.....Tyler played his rookie year at tackle and last year year at guard, Guard is the easier slot to fill, since Dallas has numerous guards on the roster as it is......this is the same asinine organizaion that continued to play Edoga at tackle, who is really a guard...how did that work out last year....

I'd rather have Tyler play tackle, who has two years experience now in the league over some rookie you select in the draft who has never taken a snap.......

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Look at OT prospects. Good chance to get a starter on day one.
All sounds good.....problem is most these college kids play on the right side...or the kids are less than 6'5....like Morgan. Or they come from a small school....like Yale. You wanna trust that? I have played with every mock draft Sim out there...if you want 1 of the big 3 left tackles....Alt...Fuko....or Mims....Your gonna have to trade up.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
:clap:he's an ALL-Pro, leave him alone.

BTW.....Remember what the late Reggie White did to Larry Allen? (lol)

The fact that he is still acting like Tyron is a real full time option at LT makes his opinion meaningless.

BTW Larry Allen was a beast at tackle too. Don't go by one highlight.

Tyler was looking great at LT. Harder to find a pro bowl LT than LG.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yes, he could progress for sure. But now he's taken the vast majority of his snaps at guard and switching him back to tackle will just further delay his progress.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That's just it John.......the position is still a question mark even with Tyler moving there coz we are not sure how good he can be. So now you have three question marks as opposed to two. I guess my point is.......find a LT via draft or free agency
who are you going to get in either that are better than Tyler & what would they cost?

Top tier LT"s are extremely hard to find. You spent a first round pick to be prepared for Tyron's eventual departure. Now is the time to let the investment pay off.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Their last miss at the OL position in the first round would be in the Landry era in the 80s.
How many have they drafted in the last 20 years? Tyron Smith is the only one I can think of. Flozell wasn't a 1st rounder. Free wasn't and we saw what we looked like with Free at times at left tackle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martin was always viewed as a guard coming out of college....Tyler Smith was specifically drafted to replace Tyron Smith, he played left tackle his rookie season when Tyron was injured again and when Tyron came back towards the end of the year, he was moved to right tackle....so Tyler should be moved back to left tackle, let Bass, Richard, Ball, Edoga, (bring Collins back) etc battle it out at left guard and draft a center....
Sounds like a great plan to me! Get that center replacement in the 1st round.