Rob Phillips on keeping Tyler at LG

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yea, left tackle I'm not terribly worried about. I think Tyler can do a good job there and Richards/Bass can fight over LG.
Like you, the center spot I'm more curious about how the team addresses that spot.

I think based off his rookie year he showed enough positives that he could very well be the Left tackle long term there.
He was thrown into the fire, and while he had some bad games, he was a raw rookie that barely got a lot of practice at LT/nor was Tulane a powerhouse at teaching tech/conditioning.
Last year he was AP at guard, but also his 2nd year in the league, with one full offseason in a NFL weight room.
I feel like if the coaches are telling him to prepare for LT, then he has enough time to re-adjust.

Even at guard, he was a penalty magnet. 13 called penalties, 10 enforced. So, it's not like the switch saw him being able to mask his holding/false starts.
Moving Tyler to LT is a mistake. He’s a LG. His feet are no better than La’el’s or Chaz’ feet. Richards showed in PS last year that he can play LT so we can go BPA at 24.