Rob Ryan leaves Dallas and becomes King of Mardi Gras

hsfolk

Reaction score
"Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?! Who dat?! Who dat?!"

These words trailed Rob Ryan as he led the Krewe of Argus parade through the pouring rain in Metairie Tuesday morning.

Ryan, the defensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints, was named Grand Marshall of the parade in February. Commonly impersonated by fans at Saints' games, Ryan was also the inspiration for a crew of dancing Rob Ryans (flowing grey-blond hair, Saints caps, fake pot bellies) during the Krewe D'Etat parade on Friday night, Feb 28.

No dancing Ryans were in evidence in Metairie Tuesday morning. A far more common costume among men in the crowd was the full-body, waterproof hunting suit, worn as insulation against the frigid weather. Umbrellas and ponchos were also popular accessories among the crowd, which appeared a bit thin in some areas.

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2014/03/rob_ryan_saints_defense_coordi.html

coult44

Reaction score
A huge failure in every aspect in Dallas. Jerry blew it, Jason blew it, and Ryan was in a no win situation. With a strong leader like Peyton to be on a staff with, he will succeed. In our situation, with his big personality, and a puppett with no balls leading the team, he was destined to fail here. Sucks too, because he is a good coach...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A huge failure in every aspect in Dallas. Jerry blew it, Jason blew it, and Ryan was in a no win situation. With a strong leader like Peyton to be on a staff with, he will succeed. In our situation, with his big personality, and a puppett with no balls leading the team, he was destined to fail here. Sucks too, because he is a good coach...

Regardless of the fact that I've personally never particularly cared for Ryan's brash and sleezy demeanor, he has served New Orleans well. There's no denying he was instrumental in leading their defense from one of the worst in the NFL to being one that is currently highly respectable. Anytime Jerry Jones admits that he "might have made a mistake in firing Ryan," it's a pretty likely indication that he was correct in that assessment.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
"Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?! Who dat?! Who dat?!"

These words trailed Rob Ryan as he led the Krewe of Argus parade through the pouring rain in Metairie Tuesday morning.

Ryan, the defensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints, was named Grand Marshall of the parade in February. Commonly impersonated by fans at Saints' games, Ryan was also the inspiration for a crew of dancing Rob Ryans (flowing grey-blond hair, Saints caps, fake pot bellies) during the Krewe D'Etat parade on Friday night, Feb 28.

No dancing Ryans were in evidence in Metairie Tuesday morning. A far more common costume among men in the crowd was the full-body, waterproof hunting suit, worn as insulation against the frigid weather. Umbrellas and ponchos were also popular accessories among the crowd, which appeared a bit thin in some areas.

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2014/03/rob_ryan_saints_defense_coordi.html

I love Ryan. I miss him on the sidelines. I love his fire and tenacity and I firmly belief that is passion for the game is something we need on the sidelines. Im kinda tired of Garrett's robotic approach and his severe disconnect with the game. I say that is severe when your the coach and have no clue whether to challenge a call or not. Or even argue with the refs regarding a questionable call. He's like a fricken statue of the sidelines.

He was the scapegoat for Garrett's failures. I say its Garrett's fault that he left because Jones needed someone to blame. Garrett knew full well he wasn't the cause of this teams not being able to make the playoffs. He probably lobbied Jones to fire him to kinda divert blame away from him. Yes its all hypothetical. But he sure didn't lobby Jerry to keep him. Now with Kiffen our defense is worst is ever been and our entire dline is in shambles. Maybe, just maybe, if Garrett could and even Jerry kept him are defense wouldn't have been as bad and we might have been the playoffs. But they needed a scapegoat and someone to blame for the 8-8 season. Garrett sure doesn't have the balls to take blame for what happened and Ryan's firing was a cowardly move. The defense collapsing this year should be pointed at Garrett, not Kiffen. Im sure we would not have done this bad if we would have stuck with Ryan.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Really?

He is not a great coach.

He's a loud mouth and had nothing going on here or in Cleveland.

Bree's is the answer for him ..

an offense that scores more than 30 pts a game and doesn't expose Ryan's defense to to much time on the field.

We'll see.

Time will tell.

Glad he's gone.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nothing like a little revisionist history to make a thread go. The guy did nothing special here. Just because things went well in NO for 1 season does not mean they will continue that way, nor does it mean he would have done well in Big D. He's a Ryan - good riddance!

-a9d155c3bf389a0a.JPG

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Sometimes people just fit in with one organization and not another.

Jimmy in Dallas vs. Jimmy in Miami, Dungy in Indy vs. Dungy in Tampa, Gruden in Tampa vs. Gruden in Oakland, etc.

That being said, I think it will eventually come apart for him in New Orleans as well. The stories of him not even coming to meetings and Coach Eberflus basically running the defense in practice and meetings is troubling to me.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That being said, I think it will eventually come apart for him in New Orleans as well. The stories of him not even coming to meetings and Coach Eberflus basically running the defense in practice and meetings is troubling to me.

And Marinelli was probably doing that last year for Kiffin. All in all, same difference. But he's a Ryan, so there's that.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Nothing like a little revisionist history to make a thread go. The guy did nothing special here. Just because things went well in NO for 1 season does not mean they will continue that way, nor does it mean he would have done well in Big D. He's a Ryan - good riddance!

-a9d155c3bf389a0a.JPG

It's like they say, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken... well, you know.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Sometimes people just fit in with one organization and not another.

Jimmy in Dallas vs. Jimmy in Miami, Dungy in Indy vs. Dungy in Tampa, Gruden in Tampa vs. Gruden in Oakland, etc.

I'm not sure those are great examples...maybe Jimmy, but Dungy was good in Tampa, and Gruden was good in Oakland.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got no issue with Rob Ryan... Glad he's happy in his current locale.

All I wish is that the next time the Cowboys face his defense that they perform just a wee bit better than they did last time. :cool:

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really?

He is not a great coach.

an offense that scores more than 30 pts a game and doesn't expose Ryan's defense to to much time on the field.

We'll see.

Time will tell.

Glad he's gone.

I would bet most of the fans saying he should have stayed, were also calling for his head when he was here
I wanted him gone, and glad he is. I never really liked the hire to begin with. He was last on the list of Jerry for a DC anyway. Well, 3rd choice, the other two just signed contracts. Kiffin was one of them.

coult44

Reaction score
Really?

He is not a great coach.

We'll see.

Time will tell.

Glad he's gone.

We are fans of one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL. Let that sink in for a moment..........we don't have the right to talk about another defense, or their coach being bad.

Oh, and I said he was good. Never said Great...

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Really?

He is not a great coach.

We'll see.

Time will tell.

Glad he's gone.

Oh c’mon. Give the guy his props. It’s okay to admit that we probably shouldn’t have let him go. Nothing wrong with it.

He still had pretty much nothing to work with in N.O. They were literally the worst defense of the modern NFL… and really even stretches a little further back than that.

You thought our defense was bad this year? Here’s a side by side comparison:

2013 Cowboys: 6645 yards allowed
2012 Saints: 7042 yards allowed (worst in NFL history)

2013 Cowboys: 6.1 yards allowed per play
2012 Saints: 6.5 yards allowed per play (worst in NFL history)

2013 Cowboys: 415 yards allowed per game
2013 Saints: 440 yards allowed per game

They even had one less takeaway than we did. They were absolutely putrid.

Yes having the offensive genius back helped with TOP (+5 minute swing for the Saints between 2012 and 2013), but it’s not like the Cowboys are a bad with TOP. We’ve traditionally been a 31-32 minute TOP. We weren’t this year, but then again our defense couldn’t get off the field either.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
We are fans of one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL. Let that sink in for a moment..........we don't have the right to talk about another defense, or their coach being bad.

Oh, and I said he was good. Never said Great...

We aren't. The Saints are were the worst in NFL history before Ryan got there and made them a legitmate top 3 defense. The Saints allowed 2000 less yards with Ryan than in the previous year. 125 yards less per game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
With his long hair and beads, he could beome quite fetching to the rough mans in New Orleans.