Twitter: Rod Marinelli is the reason we have Taco instead of TJ Watt

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Cowboys blew the Taco/Watt decision.

And leave it to Cowboys fans to want the DC fired after putting the defense he put on the field last season. Absolutely no sense of proportion whatsoever.

It doesn't matter what your defense did if in the biggest game it gets shredded by CJ Anderson.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Marinelli defense was run over run around and gutted by the rams most ever yards allowed by a dallas team in the playoffs he is like linehan should of been gone sooner was 0 and 16 as a head coach they can do better

HanD

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what your defense did if in the biggest game it gets shredded by CJ Anderson.
well that and KR was in his first year and there was a huge improvement in the secondary and overall defensive play. i believe KR took over play calling too. so this is a rod thing.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Yeah, and everyone passed on Lawson who's better than both.

And we took Switzer over Kittle. Where wold we be at TE if we drafted Kittle?

You can do the revisionist thing all day for all teams.
These threads always seem to pop up on a no new Cowboy news day. :rolleyes:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Marinelli should be given draft weekend off. The image of his excitement gushing over never was defensive tackle Joey Ivie tells you everything you need to know about any influence he should have. None.

Let him show up to work Monday and find out if he's got any presents under the tree.

I believe such decisions were part of his downfall as a head coach. Some coaches are great at the coaching aspect of the game but terrible at talent judgment. I'm not sure why that is true, but there are numerous cases where coaches have demanded to be involved in talent acquisition only for it to blow up in their faces. It is important for the GM to recognize what their strengths and weaknesses are and make sure to have them involved to the extent that it plays to their strengths.

Maybe having Richard, who was certainly more involved in the draft process last year than I thought he would be, as one of the main voices for the defense will help in that regard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe such decisions were part of his downfall as a head coach. Some coaches are great at the coaching aspect of the game but terrible at talent judgment. I'm not sure why that is true, but there are numerous cases where coaches have demanded to be involved in talent acquisition only for it to blow up in their faces. It is important for the GM to recognize what their strengths and weaknesses are and make sure to have them involved to the extent that it plays to their strengths.

Maybe having Richard, who was certainly more involved in the draft process last year than I thought he would be, as one of the main voices for the defense will help in that regard.

I hope so, but regardless, Marinelli needs to have his invitation revoked. Just coach who we give you, oh and try to get rid of those tells that put your "Rushmen" at a huge disadvantage and get them run over. Maybe that's what he can work on during the draft?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
And the truly amazing part about the Linehan situation was after setting franchise records for offensive futility in 2017, the team brain trust decided it would be a good idea to give Linehan even more power and decision-making ability. And to the surprise of no one outside the building, the results got even worse.

I was starting to sweat that he would be our next HC.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Legit question ... is Watt the beast he is, if he plays RE here?

Watt had a great year because he is a good player in the right scheme to take advantage of his abilities. He probably doesn't have anything close to those numbers here but he'd still be good.

cern

Reaction score
rod is the reason our d-line does ok on first and second downs and totally fails on third downs. why is he still here? why hasn't Kris Richard been named the dc?

Manster_Mash

Reaction score

McClay really liked TJ that year. The coaches (Rod) thought Taco would be a better fit because he played with his hand in the dirt in college, whereas Watt was more of a projection since he mostly rushed the passer while standing.

Imagine where this defense would be if we had Watt at RE. Rod gotta go.

He doesn't need to go. He just needs to coach.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
And Gregory only plays passing downs. Do you want your 1st round pick only playing passing downs.
Yes, if he is effective! For God's sake that is at least 55% of downs. This isn't 1970 anymore when passing was relegated to 3rd down.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Is there really a difference between a NFL 3-4 rush LBer and a 4-3 RE? I used to think so, but now I'm not really sure anymore. When Taco was drafted instead of Watt, I understood the rationale, just because of Watt's lack of size playing in a 4-3. But seeing Gregory productivity as a 4-3 DE, makes me rethink that. But this dilemma also makes me remember DWare's one season playing Marinelli's 4-3, and how he struggled that one year. And then there's Von Miller, who dominates as a 3-4 rush LBer, but would he get the same production as a 4-3 DE? I guess it comes down to properly projecting and figuring the right scheme for a player.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I hope so, but regardless, Marinelli needs to have his invitation revoked. Just coach who we give you, oh and try to get rid of those tells that put your "Rushmen" at a huge disadvantage and get them run over. Maybe that's what he can work on during the draft?

I think the coaching weakness with Marinelli is that he doesn't care about things like tells. He only cares about drilling in technique to the point where players understand and can be assignment sound. That is a very important part of the game and Marinelli is very good at it. However, as with anything technique-driven, you have to have players who can outexecute the other team's players in order to win with it. If a superior offensive lineman executes his block against a defensive lineman using great technique, the superior player is still going to win because he's the better player.

This is an area where I believe marrying Marinelli's technique-driven approach to Richard's understanding of the need to use some craftiness was good for the defense last year. Hopefully, we will continue down that path to supplementing the emphasis on execution with scheme creativity.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It does, though. Especially when the Rams did the exact same thing to almost everybody they played until they got down into the red zone.