Roethlisberger as valuable as Romo?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Got this little tidbit from ESPN about Big Ben and a possible extension:

"Few people in the league were happier about Tony Romo's new contract extension than Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers are expected to begin negotiations with Roethlisberger on an extension after this season. And the Romo numbers figure to be just a starting point for Roethlisberger and his representatives."

Maybe I'm just biased here, but I don't see Roethisberger anywhere near in the same league as Romo right now. He has won a Superbowl, but his performance in that game was putrid. Good QB, but I don't see him as "great".

Am I being a Homer?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
big ben is a fraud as an elite QB if he throws more than 20 passes in a game he sucks. I don't get the love with that guy. Tony is exponentially better as a player.

adamknite

Reaction score
I don't think you're being homer. Roethlisberger does have a SuperBowl ring, that's the only argument I could see for him being a better QB.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
No I think your right.

Romo is a top 5 qb easily. Big Ben is a top 10 qb. But thats a run first team, always has been, prob always will be. He's not in the same league as Tony.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Joe Rod;1746510 said:
Got this little tidbit from ESPN about Big Ben and a possible extension:

"Few people in the league were happier about Tony Romo's new contract extension than Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers are expected to begin negotiations with Roethlisberger on an extension after this season. And the Romo numbers figure to be just a starting point for Roethlisberger and his representatives."

Maybe I'm just biased here, but I don't see Roethisberger anywhere near in the same league as Romo right now. He has won a Superbowl, but his performance in that game was putrid. Good QB, but I don't see him as "great".

Am I being a Homer?

Ben is a weird one... he is like Dilfer in his role as the QB of the Ravens... BUT Ben has a "it" about him.... not the BIG "it" but the "it" nonetheless... when has had to make plays he was able to make them.... Dilfer never could....

so.... Ben is a hybrid between "it" and Dilfer

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ben-over Crapfilledburger is NOT a great QB. Without a running game is SUCKS! If you pressure him, he breaks down.

Mark this, if Parker goes down the Steelers will follow because without Parker Crapholeburger will self-destruct by throwing at least twice as many INTs as TDs.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
ben has taken over the title of most overhyped QB from McFlabb.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think Ben will get money close to Romo despite the fact that Romo is far better.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
He will get big bucks, I think he could get more than Romo if he tested the open market simply because of the Super Bowl "win" in which he played horribly- but he can't- he signed a 6 year contract in 2004, so he's stuck.

That said, Romo is a much better playmaker. But, anybody that thinks Roethlisberger is a bad QB is lying to themselves.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Future 585;1747074 said:
I think Ben will get money close to Romo despite the fact that Romo is far better.

Wasnt he a first rounder?
He will get ALOT than Romo because of that... just like Romo didnt get as much as if he was a high round pick

conner01

Reaction score
Future 585;1747074 said:
i agree. to the steelers he is more valuable than we give him credit for. he is not the qb romo is but i think we got romo a litle below market value myself. i think it's a fair deal for romo and the boys but if he had hit the market he could have gotten more money. i don't see ben getting more than romo but in the ballpark

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pitt no longer is a run-dominant team. They run a pretty balanced offense now and I believe Ben is having a pretty good year. Romo has more pass attempts, therefore more passing yards, but overall, the number are somewhat similar this year. Ben should get paid as much as, if not more than Romo.

Did a player matchup on nfl.com and that's what I came to.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead...Select+a+Player...&playerFour=Select+a+Player...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1747231 said:
Pitt no longer is a run-dominant team. They run a pretty balanced offense now and I believe Ben is having a pretty good year.

The Steelers are #2 in rushing (159.1 YPG) and #20 in passing (202 YPG). Even is usually when your passing yardage is 2-1 over your rushing yardage. (ie. 250 passing 120 rushing) They ARE in fact a run first the pass off playaction. They rush 56% of the time and the only reason they pass 44% oft he time is because how effective Willie Parker has been. When the Steelers were having trouble running the ball not long ago, take a wild guess who was taking a lot of heat for his level of play... Thats right. Ol Ben.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1747327 said:
The Steelers are #2 in rushing (159.1 YPG) and #20 in passing (202 YPG). Even is usually when your passing yardage is 2-1 over your rushing yardage. (ie. 250 passing 120 rushing)
Those numbers don't equate to even. If I'm being too literal, forgive me.

They ARE in fact a run first the pass off playaction. They rush 56% of the time and the only reason they pass 44% oft he time is because how effective Willie Parker has been. When the Steelers were having trouble running the ball not long ago, take a wild guess who was taking a lot of heat for his level of play...
No one is saying they've gotten away from using the run, but are the percentages that much of a difference to not view it as a more balanced offense? IMO, no. They're no longer a predictable offense, setup to run on 1st and 2nd, and then pass on 3rd down team.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Teague31;1747067 said:
ben has taken over the title of most overhyped QB from McFlabb.

No way. The most over-rated QB plays for the most over-rated team.....Carson Palmer and the Cincinatti Bengals.

Ben is a good QB. Better than alot of people want to believe. I would not take him over Romo, but he is at least in the top 7 QBs in the league and 10 times better than Palmer or McNabb.;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1747341 said:
Those numbers don't equate to even. If I'm being too literal, forgive me.

No one is saying they've gotten away from using the run, but are the percentages that much of a difference to not view it as a more balanced offense? IMO, no. They're no longer a predictable offense, setup to run on 1st and 2nd, and then pass on 3rd down team.

I agree that they are more unpredictable, but thats what a great rushing offense brings. When they didn't have that great rushing offense, ol' Ben had a lot of trouble. BTW, I looked it up. They actually pass more on 1st down now, (59 rushes to 80 passes on first down) of course nowhere near how much the Cowboys do! (59 rushes to 115 passes on 1st downs)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DWhite Fan;1747354 said:
No way. The most over-rated QB plays for the most over-rated team.....Carson Palmer and the Cincinatti Bengals.

Ben is a good QB. Better than alot of people want to believe. I would not take him over Romo, but he is at least in the top 7 QBs in the league and 10 times better than Palmer or McNabb.;)

No he isn't. In no specific order

• Brady
  • Peyton Manning
  • Farve
  • Romo
  • Brees
  • Palmer
  • McNabb
  • Bulger
  • Garcia
Thats 9 QBs that are better than Crapfilledburger. Everyone one of those guys are proven playmakers. Ben is nothing more than a game manager. He is in no way a playmaker as a QB.

Jay

Reaction score
Just did a few stat checks..

From 2004-07, Big Ben has thrown for 300+ 4 times, and the Steelers are 1-3 in those games.

The past two seasons for Romo, he's thrown for 300+ 8 different times, and we're a combined 7-1 in those games.