Roethlisberger as valuable as Romo?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
nyc;1747327 said:
The Steelers are #2 in rushing (159.1 YPG) and #20 in passing (202 YPG). They rush 56% of the time and the only reason they pass 44% oft he time is because how effective Willie Parker has been. When the Steelers were having trouble running the ball not long ago, take a wild guess who was taking a lot of heat for his level of play... Thats right. Ol Ben.
He was hurt last year, and those percentages are misleading because they only show how much, and not when.

Ben is a much, much better 1st quarter QB than Romo, and the Steelers´ pattern since he arrived has been to score a lot of points early, then grind it out with Bettis, and now Parker. They are a good but not great running team. Yards per carry showed that they were an average running team the year they won the Super Bowl. They win with defense, so a QB who does not throw picks and can start hot is perfect for them. You saw what Ben did to start the game last night, when their running game could not even get one first down.

Ben is every bit as valuable to them as Romo is to us.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
percyhoward;1748784 said:
He was hurt last year, and those percentages are misleading because they only show how much, and not when.

Those are this years numbers not last years.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
Big Ben is nothing more than a "bus driver". If you have a very good run game and D, then he's effective.

However-when the game's on the line(or when the team is playing from behind/their run game isn't working), he's not the kind of QB that can put the load on his shoulders.

It was no surprise why Cowher made him their top pick in '04.(And during Cowher's tenure there, he was always saying in his press conferences, "I make sure he doesn't make any mistakes"-so what does that say?)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
nyc;1748792 said:
Those are this years numbers not last years.
I know.

He was hurrt last year was in response to the Steelers "having trouble running the ball not long ago."

Compare what Parker does in the first quarter (not much) to the rest of his numbers. Then compare what Ben does in the first quarter to the rest of his numbers. There's a pattern. Ben gets the Steelers a lead, their defense doesn't let the opponent threaten that lead, so the Steelers can simply stop throwing it.

Fast starting QB and great defense can make a running game look very good.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BoysRule2;1748802 said:
Big Ben is nothing more than a "bus driver". If you have a very good run game and D, then he's effective.

However-when the game's on the line(or when the team is playing from behind/their run game isn't working), he's not the kind of QB that can put the load on his shoulders.

It was no surprise why Cowher made him their top pick in '04.(And during Cowher's tenure there, he was always saying in his press conferences, "I make sure he doesn't make any mistakes"-so what does that say?)

Bingo! This is what I've been preaching, but so many people look at his numbers and think that he is that good. He is nothing more than a game manager that has a live arm. He threw 5 TDs last night against a team that was missing BOTH of their starting safeties. 127 of his 209 yards last night came on four passes. 30, 35, 17, and 45 yard passes. All of them deep passes and also accounted for three of the TDs. Being Cowboys fans and seeing the issues our safeties have caused us, everyone should be well aware of the position the Ravens were in last night with both starting safeties out.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
percyhoward;1748820 said:
I know.

He was hurrt last year was in response to the Steelers "having trouble running the ball not long ago."

Compare what Parker does in the first quarter (not much) to the rest of his numbers. Then compare what Ben does in the first quarter to the rest of his numbers. There's a pattern. Ben gets the Steelers a lead, their defense doesn't let the opponent threaten that lead, so the Steelers can simply stop throwing it.

Fast starting QB and great defense can make a running game look very good.
They only have a single decent defensive team left on the schedule. (Pats) We will watch him get exposed something ugly during that game.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Well, ya'll can say what you want about him and his team, but I don't want any part of facing the Stealers and I doubt the Colts or Pats relish playing them either. I think the Pats can beat them, certainly when it counts, but the Colts are probably still screwed up from losing to them in 05.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kingwhicker;1748971 said:
Well, ya'll can say what you want about him and his team, but I don't want any part of facing the Stealers and I doubt the Colts or Pats relish playing them either. I think the Pats can beat them, certainly when it counts, but the Colts are probably still screwed up from losing to them in 05.

Yeah, well the 3-5 Broncos and the 3-5 Cardinals didn't mind playing them...