Video: Roger Staubach receives Presidential Medal of Freedom

Blackrain

Reaction score
Good work guys keep this bumped to the top since we cant get it pinned . COME ON REALITY . THE REALITY IS YOU SHOULD RESPECT THE LEGEND AND PIN THIS !!!!!

Scotman

Reaction score
I remember watching Staubach in the Superbowl....sitting in front of a 12" black & white TV...holding the rabbit ears at just the right angle for the channel to come in. My life as a child was a bit less than ideal. But, come Sundays, Staubach and the Cowboys were there showing America how to be Americans. No matter how far down they were, you had to believe that Staubach could save the day. As hokey as it might sound, watching Staubach drive the team down the field even though it seemed as if there was no hope, made me feel like I could make it too. The Cowboys could be down by 10 with 4 minutes left in the game and I felt like the whole world believed he would win.

I was 5 the first time we won the Superbowl. We were homeless again and staying in one of the super cheap roadside motels until we could figure out our next move. Life was hard. No past. No future. No hope. But I watched the Cowboys win the Superbowl...the actual Superbowl. The Superbowl. The Cowboys were one of only 2 or 3 things in my world that gave me hope back in those black & white days. Men like Staubach and Landry made me look forward to tomorrow.

There aren't enough medals and honors for Staubach as far as I'm concerned. He did it. He did it all...and he did it the right way. In my world, a hero.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Great Post Scotman I had a black and white tv also and remember watching Roger lead the Cowboys back in a playoff game against the John Brodie 49ers .

We were down in the 4th and I was so upset my mom shut the TV off and pulled the knobs off so I couldn't watch . I went to the basement got needle nose pliers and got the TV on again , locked myself in and set down to watch the greatest comeback of my young life as Roger threw TD passes to Ron Sellers and Billy Parks . Not exactly household names but it didn't matter if there was time left Roger would get it done .

I was about 10 at the time and had my share of hardships to deal with but like you said Roger , Tom Landry and the Cowboys were a constant you could count on back then to give you hope . Those men, that team in that era were one of the best things ever seen in the NFL

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I am just posting for this to stay in the top post for all-time on this forum. Roger Staubach is the reason the Dallas Cowboys became America's Team. He reminds me why I am still a Dallas Cowboys fan even though Jerry has made the team the Dallas Jonesboys.

A Roger T. Staubach poster is on the wall in my office next to a Tony Dorsett poster.

Seeing what America is becoming makes me miss players like Staubach, and men like Staubach.

Also, since I said I would do this and since the Medal of Freedom, the Cowboys have been winning. So I am doing my part.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I am just posting for this to stay in the top post for all-time on this forum. Roger Staubach is the reason the Dallas Cowboys became America's Team. He reminds me why I am still a Dallas Cowboys fan even though Jerry has made the team the Dallas Jonesboys.

A Roger T. Staubach poster is on the wall in my office next to a Tony Dorsett poster.

Seeing what America is becoming makes me miss players like Staubach, and men like Staubach.

Also, since I said I would do this and since the Medal of Freedom, the Cowboys have been winning. So I am doing my part.

Good Work Brother Seems People who run this site have forgotten who made the Cowboys who they were or maybe they never saw him play so they don't have the proper respect to pin this like should have happened a week ago

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I was so glad to see our Navy man standing proud in the White House while the leader of the free world placed that medal around his neck. I bet a bunch of you youngsters out there didn't even know Roger Staubach was a Navy man. Or even who Staubach is.

Blackrain

Reaction score
That was back when the Army Navy Game was played in JFK Stadium I believe