Rolando McClain............RKG?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Imo RKG is the foundation on which this team is built.

That foundation allows for players like 55 to be brought in.
This is the answer. You fill the locker room with RKGs so that they're the ones setting the tone. Once you have that foundation and culture set, you can far more easily accommodate a few guys who don't fit that mold without risking a breakdown of discipline that spreads throughout the team.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
There are no excuses to his approach to football as a career.
What does that mean? Why does he need excuses? If he's good enough to play on Sunday and he's not interfering with the development or preparation of other players, what's the problem? Sure, he's not going to be as great a player as he potentially could be, but a smart team will focus on what a player can do for them, rather than getting hung up on what they can't do, or on what kind of player/person they'd like him to be.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yah, well that is what he is in my opinion. What do you think he has control over exactly?

He's the HC and controls everything on the field. He has some pull in the War Room also. The thing that has impressed me the most is how much Jerry listens to him. The transformation of our roster since he became HC is remarkable. No more awful contracts like Carr's or overpaying for aging vets on the OL. I still can't believe he pulled off 8-8 seasons in '12 and '13 with the defensive issues we had instead of dropping below the .500 mark.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's the HC and controls everything on the field. He has some pull in the War Room also. The thing that has impressed me the most is how much Jerry listens to him. The transformation of our roster since he became HC is remarkable. No more awful contracts like Carr's or overpaying for aging vets on the OL. I still can't believe he pulled off 8-8 seasons in '12 and '13 with the defensive issues we had instead of dropping below the .500 mark.

Yah.......OK, we are way off here. I do think he listens to Garrett more then say a Wade Phillips. But as far as transforming the roster, I give more credit to Stephen and especially Clay. Clay is the guy that has transformed our draft and scouting department and Jerry is listening to him. He have already seen where they pick people Garrett doesnt appear to like, so although I am sure Garrett has some influence, I believe this is where he has the least in player acquisition.

As far as controlling everything on the field, to me that is where you are so far from off. The coordinators control what happens on the field. Marianelli has full control over the defense. You cant tell me that Garrett has anything to do with anything over there. No chance. Does he make suggestions? Sure, but no way he controls that side at all. And you cant tell me that Garrett is suggesting what kind of defensive players Marianelli wants for his scheme. We have already seen a heavy lean toward Marianelli and the type of players he wants, especially at the DT position in particular.

Now on offense, Im sure he has more control because that is his background. But Linehan now is the head of the offense. He calls the plays on game day, he manages things and to me that is what Garrett was the worst at. And anyone that follows the Cowboys knows that Jones basically forced Garrett out of the offensive control. Many wont admit it, but that's what happened.

And your going to tell me that we were lucky to be 8-8? LOL Garrett was the main reason we were 8-8. His pass happy play calling and affinity to NOT run the ball was paramount in those teams under achieving. Even in the Wade years the way he ran the offense was pathetic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

And did we not have Murray for the first 3 years of Garretts tenure as head coach? Where was the 1800 yard season then?

Im not sure if your one of those guys that is a Murray lover, but they cant have it both ways. If Murray is such a stud and its more him then the line, then Garrett truly screwed the pooch by not running more the first 3 years.

For my money, its more about the line. But I also feel like our commitment to the run game was not there in those first 3 years despite the line being not as stout as it is now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I am. Winning 8 games with the practically the worst defense in the league is almost unbelievable.
worst defense in the league? You are talking about one year they were the worst. Still one of the best offenses in the league every year. All you really have to do is count up the games we lost because of coaching. Easily 2 or 3 a year. And those were all years where the NFC East was always there for the taking.

NO ONE, I mean NO ONE was thinking we were lucky to be 8-8. Everyone was always complaining that we under achieved. Which we did based on talent.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I am. Winning 8 games with the practically the worst defense in the league is almost unbelievable.

But actually, you might be correct. With a coach like Garrett running the show and the offense I guess we really were lucky to be 8-8.