Rollie Massimino Died Today (8/30/17), He Was 82

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Rollie Massimino, who led Villanova's storied run to the 1985 NCAA championship and won more than 800 games in his coaching career, died Wednesday after a long battle with cancer. He was 82. Massimino's death was announced by Keiser University, where he was still the men's basketball coach. He spent the final days of his life in hospice care.

Best known for that national title at Villanova, Massimino also coached at Stony Brook, UNLV and Cleveland State. He spent the last 11 years of his life at Keiser, where he started the program and turned it into an NAIA power. I am SO GLAD coach Rollie was there to witness 'Nova's 2nd NCAA Championship. Rollie won 'Nova's first NCAA championship in 1985. Howie Long graduated from 'Nova with a degree in Communications & also played DT-NT for 'Nova (without a crew cut). He was drafted by the NFL four years prior 'Nova's first NCAA Championship. R.I.P Coach Rollie.
th
th
pg2_g_long1x_600.jpg

Last edited:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Wow, only 85.....i thought he was 80 when they played georgetown.....he was so colorful, a joy to watch on the sidelines.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I hated it when SU played against his teams and just hated watching his style of basketball. Very boring and very slow pace. But, he was good coach from the perspective that he took care of his players, ran super clean programs and consistently developed college kids into outstanding men.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I missed this thread and I'm sorry I did. That guy was worthy of a post for sure.

I loved watching Massimino, back in the Golden Age of the Big East. He was just great.

RIP Roland Vincent Massimino
(November 13, 1934 – August 30, 2017)