Romo: American Century Championship

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know things were way different in 1980 when Roger Staubach retired. I mean no internet, no ESPN. No 24 hour sports cycles. But when Roger retired as the greatest Cowboys QB ever, (and still is) I don’t remember Cowboys fans being that interested in what Roger was doing off the field. Most Cowboys fans became more interested in Danny White and what he was going to bring.

Tony Romo has been retired for a year, and many fans are talking about his golf game, how many more kids he will have etc. When TR retired, my interest level waned considerably.

No disrespect intended about Romo posts or any big Romo fans. I’m not mad about them. I guess I just don’t understand it.
That’s the difference in the Internet and Social Media.

And where Charles Barkley is absolutely right.

I’d argue there’s always an interest in former players especially big name stars. Today’s technology makes all the difference. Honestly Roger didn’t do much to make the news after his retirement except his ROH and HOF Induction.

He and Drew did play in the Super Stars Competition on ABC if you might recall. Beyond that Roger built near billion dollar real estate empire mostly out of the public eye and didn’t take a public role until he became Director of the North Texas Super Bowl for Jerry.

Last edited:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Great finish by Tony and huge win. He won another tournament last week as well so he is on a roll.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo forfeited the $125,000 winners prize so he could maintain his Amateur status as he intends to compete for the National Amateurs. Tony had been the runner up here 3 times.

Edgewater is a beautiful course on Lake Tahoe. I played it back in 1985 a few years before they established this tournament.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Congratulations Tony:thumbup:

In before someone says he only won because the others choked:(

The other guys did choke a bit, but you can easily argue it was caused by Romo putting a ton of pressure on them down the stretch.

He made some fantastic, clutch putts down the stretch.