Romo is our next Phil Simms

Chuck 54

Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
I've watched the game several times and it's pretty clear that..

Romo looks like..Phil Simms.

His whole management of the offense and the throws he was making reminded me of Phil Simms.

Even his moving in the pocket to buy time was vintage Phil Simms. Simms also scrambled a bit and we saw Romo doing the same thing.

I'll bet you a bag of donuts that Parcells has edited a few films of Phil Simms and given them to Romo to study.

Simms was a master at converting 3rd downs, hitting the fade patterns downfield and making quick reads to get rid of the ball and not take sacks.

Romo=Simms

You'll see.

parcellswaterboy
hmmm....I would love nothing more, but when you consider that Phil Simms was bigger, had a stronger arm, and was not only drafted but drafted in the first round, I just don't see it....not at all. This is not a "Romo sucks" thread, but I see nothing more than a guy who can manage the offense a little and throw "little" passes..."I've seen (Phil Simms), and (Romo), sir, is no Phil Simms."

superpunk

Reaction score
I'm so thrilled that a player after one preseason game, in which the other teams top DEs didn't play, and we had nearly flawless, that's right - FLAWLESSSSSSSS - pass protection, can draw comparisons to an all time great.

Don't break your knees jerking them around like that, people.

The Duke

Reaction score
Aikman >> Favre Just ask yourself who could you count on in the clutch big game?

I always that Phil Simms and Danny White look eerily similar.

Romo the jury hasn't even been assembled yet much less declared him the next anything.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I can see the Simms comparison but really the way he delivered ball in that preseason game reminded me a lot of a young Montana. The leadership he excuded was very similar to Unitas. And when he scrambled I can only say Steve Young jumped to mind. But it's only the first preseason game so I'm certain Romo will improve.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I'm so thrilled that a player after one preseason game, in which the other teams top DEs didn't play, and we had nearly flawless, that's right - FLAWLESSSSSSSS - pass protection, can draw comparisons to an all time great.

Don't break your knees jerking them around like that, people.
I agree with the overall message of your post, but there is no way that our protection was FLAWLESS for Romo. There were several plays where he had to evade a rusher or two, and as others have said, I am sure Bledsoe would have been sacked once or twice.

superpunk

Reaction score
eman721 said:
I agree with the overall message of your post, but there is no way that our protection was FLAWLESS for Romo. There were several plays where he had to evade a rusher or two, and as others have said, I am sure Bledsoe would have been sacked once or twice.

The protection was fantastic, particularly early. All you can ask is that the DEs are pushed past, and your interior gives you an area to step up into. Every time he needed that, he had it. There were no instances that I can remember where there was a defender bearing down on Romo with anything resembling a clear shot. The protection was as good as it gets.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I heard that romo had to relieve himself, there was no bathroom in sight so he did so on a small crippled child that happened to be dragging himself by.

that child was terrell owens and he is now healed

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Protection was far less than fantastic, Romo's scrambling was a postive factor in his game.

But Phil Simms is the wrong comparison a not-as-smart Jason Garrett is what Romo reminds me of right now.
He's gaining fast on Koy Detmer by the minute.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
superpunk said:
The protection was fantastic, particularly early. All you can ask is that the DEs are pushed past, and your interior gives you an area to step up into. Every time he needed that, he had it. There were no instances that I can remember where there was a defender bearing down on Romo with anything resembling a clear shot. The protection was as good as it gets.
2 plays immediately come to mind for me.

1. The completion to Glenn where Colombo completely whiffed on a blitzing LB and Romo was fortunately quick enough to dodge him, and

2. The one-handed catch by Hurd where the LG at the time (can't remember if it was still Kosier) got bullrushed back into Romo's lap and Colombo lost the block on the LE, forcing Romo to improvise.

Both of those, Romo could very well have gone down but made plays that resulted in first downs. The blocking on both was far from fantastic.

And like I said, those are just two plays that come to mind without me having done anything more than watch the game once. I'm sure I could find more if I actually sat down and analyzed.

But, like I said in my first post, I agree with your overall point. It is too early to annoint Romo like this. I will remain guardedly optimistic, though.

superpunk

Reaction score
eman721 said:
2 plays immediately come to mind for me.

1. The completion to Glenn where Colombo completely whiffed on a blitzing LB and Romo was fortunately quick enough to dodge him, and

2. The one-handed catch by Hurd where the LG at the time (can't remember if it was still Kosier) got bullrushed back into Romo's lap and Colombo lost the block on the LE, forcing Romo to improvise.

Both of those, Romo could very well have gone down but made plays that resulted in first downs. The blocking on both was far from fantastic.

And like I said, those are just two plays that come to mind without me having done anything more than watch the game once. I'm sure I could find more if I actually sat down and analyzed.

But, like I said in my first post, I agree with your overall point. It is too early to annoint Romo like this. I will remain guardedly optimistic, though.

He absolutely did show a little elusiveness, certainly more than Bledsoe. But if you do go back and watch the game, just watch the pocket. It was terrific all night long. All you can ask of your OL as a QB, is that they push the speed rushers past you, and give you an area in front to step up into. This will also open up lanes to the left and right, should you need to step in either direction. Romo took advantage of the phenomenal pocket he was provided all night long, and produced admirably.

But as you said, this all needs tempered. For the pass protection he had, 200 odd yards is a pretty paltry sum. Some criticism I had of him is that he takes off too early. Sure the decisiveness is good, but he needs to get the ball into his playmakers hands, if at all possible. If you feel pressure and automatically take off, how much better are you than a Michael Vick? Romo seemed to take his drop, step up, and if what he wanted wasn't there, and there was any pressure from the DL, he would tuck it. And maybe he was instructed to do so, I don't know.

In addition, the fact that our Oline was playing against complete no-names is reason for guarded optimism on everyone's part for Romo, and also (especially for me) the OL.

I guarantee, if the OL gives Bledsoe what Romo got the other night, he will tear defenses apart - he always has. Bledsoe has a great feel for when to step up, he just needs somewhere to step to. If our Oline is pathetic again, Romo probably does give us a better chance to win. But if it is as good as it was Saturday night, oh.....look out.

Hac Ptui

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
romo.jpg

LOOK IN THOSE EYES - THEY SAY STARTER :starspin :bow: :)

The homersim here is thick enough to swim in.....:muttley: