Romo is the key

sportsman

Reaction score
The key to winning and losing is the play of the QB in most cases. So the game Sunday will not be any difference. Romo plays with a elite like performance the team wins. He plays like last Sunday and the team loses. That it ....simple as that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Even though he threw 2 picks vs the Ravens he wasn't the reason we lost.

In fact he was about to win the stinkin game for us against what I think is the best Defense in the league.

Its not just 1 guy with this team.

Its not Owens dividing a locker room.

Its not Garrett calling bad plays.

Its not Wade being a country bumpkin.

This entire group of players have found miraculous ways to lose a football game over the last 3 years.

Romo's play is the most important. I agree. But I would not be shocked if he passed for 300 yards, 3 TD's, and we still find some un-earthly way to lose.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sportsman;2524975 said:
The key to winning and losing is the play of the QB in most cases. So the game Sunday will not be any difference. Romo plays with a elite like performance the team wins. He plays like last Sunday and the team loses. That it ....simple as that.

All he has to do is not turn the ball over and we're fine. Especially with the Eagles offense of late.

Romo, just drive the bus for a week.

Mansta54

Reaction score
sportsman;2524975 said:

He's got to start hitting open recievers again. His accuracy has been off and we need those big plays that fuels the offense. He's due for a big game and sunday in Philly is a perfect time. He's such a competitor, I know his inaccurate passes are killing him inside. I know they're killing me.. :banghead:

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
CATCH17;2524980 said:

In fact he was about to win the stinkin game for us against what I think is the best Defense in the league.

This entire group of players have found miraculous ways to lose a football game over the last 3 years.

Romo's play is the most important. I agree. But I would not be shocked if he passed for 300 yards, 3 TD's, and we still find some un-earthly way to lose.

:hammer: So true. Look at the Skins game in 06. He passed for over 300 yards and 2 tds I believe, yet we lose somehow when WE'RE the ones lining up for a FG with seconds left.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2524980 said:

I saw that totally different. He (and the offense) was the reason we were losing the game. And the defense was the only reason we were in it.

The defense had 2 bad plays all game. Tony and the offense had 3.5 quarters worth of terrible play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2524987 said:
I saw that totally different. He (and the offense) was the reason we were losing the game. And the defense was the only reason we were in it.

The defense had 2 bad plays all game. Tony and the offense had 3.5 quarters worth of terrible play.

You gotta expect adversity on offense vs a defense like the Ravens.

They aren't one of the best for no reason. You don't just show up and just have success vs those guys.

Their offense on the other hand? Not so much.

Romo gave them 3 points and got picked twice. When you play the Ravens stuff like that happens. Its not un-usual.

Giving up back to back 70+ yard runs is off the freaking wall.

Our defense did play a heck of a game. I agree. But those 2 runs are not excusable at all in that situation.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2524992 said:
You gotta expect adversity on offense vs a defense like the Ravens.

They aren't one of the best for no reason. You don't just show up and just have success vs those guys.

Their offense on the other hand? Not so much.

Romo gave them 3 points and got picked twice. When you play the Ravens stuff like that happens. Its not un-usual.

Giving up back to back 70+ yard runs is off the freaking wall.

Our defense did play a heck of a game. I agree. But those 2 runs are not excusable at all in that situation.
Here's the number of 1st downs we had on each drive until the 4th quarter.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2525005 said:
Here's the number of 1st downs we had on each drive until the 4th quarter.

It doesn't surprise me. Look at who we were playing.

Im more surprised we gave up 2 70+ yard runs than I am that the Baltimore Ravens shut down an Offense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2525008 said:
It doesn't surprise me. Look at who we were playing.

Im more surprised we gave up 2 70+ yard runs than I am that the Baltimore Ravens shut down an Offense.
It doesn't speak well of the offense that you'd not be surprised we performed so poorly. This isn't about the Ravens defense.

Baltimore gives up an average of 4 first downs per quarter (rounding up). We had 4 first downs in 3 quarters. And we're supposed to be an above average offense.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2524981 said:
All he has to do is not turn the ball over and we're fine. Especially with the Eagles offense of late.

Romo, just drive the bus for a week.

people will complain about that too..theres no pleasing some people. i just want a W..

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Forget Romo. This team needs to run the ball up the gut over and over again and beat the opposing defense into submission.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
CATCH17;2524980 said:

I am sorry but you can't be serious by saying that.

The game plan was good against the ravens. With that gameplan we had three great oportunities to beat them deep 2 for sure TDs. Romo missed all three with really bad throws.

The Defense played great for more then 3 quaters. It was like the game against Pittsburgh you could sense when they were getting tired. And i don't believe that is because of conditioning.

The reason we lost the game is because of the bad offensive play. And the reason for that was 90% Romos bad performance. And i don't even care about those late 2 drives where btw he had alot of luck with some of his plays. We had to go full risk in those two drives he did that and was lucky to have some completions.

But! Had Romo played just a medicore to good game in the first three quaters we wouldn't have been dependent on those two good drives by him. Of course it's good to have a QB who can bring you back in the fourth quater but the trailing of the team shouldn't have been his fault like it was on saturday.

So honestly i am in no need of a QB who kills the great effort of the rest of a team just to see him getting all the props just because he played for two drives like he should have been played for the whole game. That is just unfair to the whole rest of the team.

Maybe i am very demanding towards Romo. But thats how i see it. You get paid like a Pro Bowl QB you get treated like one then i please you show me a performance of a ProBowl QB. And Pro Bowl QBs to me deliver against great teams they deliver in crunch time. And whats more important: they don't do that once a season. They deliver always. It usual for them to have great games and very unusual for viewers to see them having a medicore game. With great QBs having medicore games viewers tend to say what the heck is wrong with him he must be hurt or something. So if you don't deliver that way you flat out suck as a Pro Bowl QB for me. And i will critic you for that. That's my standpoint. And Romo does not deliver. When he does it's more of an unusual happening. When Romo delviers it's like viewers tend to say Hey whats wrong with him he must be hurt or simething ;-)

See ? That's the problem i have with Romo.

Now if he were Quinci Carter i'd be not so demanding just because Quinci has never been considered a Pro Bwol QB. He was always considered between medicore and good. When he played a good game i was happy about it.

That's the difference for me.

yimyammer

Reaction score
TwentyOne;2525044 said:
I am sorry but you can't be serious by saying that.

The game plan was good against the ravens. With that gameplan we had three great oportunities to beat them deep 2 for sure TDs. Romo missed all three with really bad throws.

The Defense played great for more then 3 quaters. It was like the game against Pittsburgh you could sense when they were getting tired. And i don't believe that is because of conditioning.

The reason we lost the game is because of the bad offensive play. And the reason for that was 90% Romos bad performance. And i don't even care about those late 2 drives where btw he had alot of luck with some of his plays. We had to go full risk in those two drives he did that and was lucky to have some completions.

But! Had Romo played just a medicore to good game in the first three quaters we wouldn't have been dependent on those two good drives by him. Of course it's good to have a QB who can bring you back in the fourth quater but the trailing of the team shouldn't have been his fault like it was on saturday.

So honestly i am in no need of a QB who kills the great effort of the rest of a team just to see him getting all the props just because he played for two drives like he should have been played for the whole game. That is just unfair to the whole rest of the team.

Maybe i am very demanding towards Romo. But thats how i see it. You get paid like a Pro Bowl QB you get treated like one then i please you show me a performance of a ProBowl QB. And Pro Bowl QBs to me deliver against great teams they deliver in crunch time. And whats more important: they don't do that once a season. They deliver always. It usual for them to have great games and very unusual for viewers to see them having a medicore game. With great QBs having medicore games viewers tend to say what the heck is wrong with him he must be hurt or something. So if you don't deliver that way you flat out suck as a Pro Bowl QB for me. And i will critic you for that. That's my standpoint. And Romo does not deliver. When he does it's more of an unusual happening. When Romo delviers it's like viewers tend to say Hey whats wrong with him he must be hurt or simething ;-)

See ? That's the problem i have with Romo.

Now if he were Quinci Carter i'd be not so demanding just because Quinci has never been considered a Pro Bwol QB. He was always considered between medicore and good. When he played a good game i was happy about it.

That's the difference for me.

I'm not sure this takes into considering the kind of protection he is getting. Even the great Tom Brady is mortal without protection.

I'd love to see an in depth analysis of how his protection is holding up. I've seen two so far (one by Dilfer and one on NFC Playbook) and Romo is getting harassed big time.

Combine the pressure with Garretts extreme vertical offense and our offense simply doesn't have enough time to open up nor does Romo have time to make a clean pass that isn't rushed, thrown off balance or thrown while trynig to avoid a defender. I believe this is why his accuracy has dropped off.

We seem to move the ball when we run and take the short stuff, we get shut down when we rely too heavily on the deep throws. I don't understand why we can't build our offense around the high percentage short game and use that to open up the low percentage long game.

But, what do I know, I'm no genius.

I am more critical of Romo's game management and lack of situational awareness:

1. Sometimes we need the gun slinger and sometimes we need a game manager. Ex: 1st game vs the Eagles. We're leading 14-6, we have the ball around our own 28. Romo gets heavy pressure, does a nice job avoiding the sack, but instead of scooting up the field for a few yards, he forces a throw to Austin that goes high and is intercepted. Philly immediately scores a TD, Stanbach screws the pooch on the kickoff causing us to start on our own 6 yard line. Romo immediately fumbles the ball on a hand off, recovers it, tries to avoid a sack in the end zone while slinging the ball around, fumbles again, TD Eagles. In less than one minute we have gone from having the momentum & a 14-6 lead to losing the momentum and falling behind 20-14. This is a prime example of where we need Romo the game manager and not Romo the gunslinger. He needs to learn how to manage each situation better and I fault both him and the coaching staff for not driving this home with Romo before he sets foot on the field with a 14-6 lead, the momentum and decent field position.

2. I believe half of his turnovers (fumbles and INT's) could have been avoided by simply managing the game better. Like I said, there is a time to be a gunslinger and a time to be a game manager. There is not a rule that says he has to go to one extreme or the other.

3. When he moves in the pocket, he tends to hold the ball with one hand. Surely this is correctable and there is a way to keep both hands on the ball as he works to avoid pressure while still looking downfield.

The good news is that all of the things I mentioned are correctable if he and the coaching staff believes these are problems, then they can work to correct these deficiencies.

Why it hasn't been done yet is mystifying. I'm assuming there is something I am not seeing.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;2524987 said:

The defense had more than 2 bad plays. They had given up 19 points previously and the only contribution Romo made to that was the 2nd interception. Even then the defense had plenty of opportunity to prevent the FG if they don't give up about 30 yards in 3 plays. Outside of a few drives that were stopped by sacks, especially the first, the D was average. Then at the end they were laughable....in a sad way.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
yimyammer;2525133 said:
I'm not sure this takes into considering the kind of protection he is getting. Even the great Tom Brady is mortal without protection.

I'd love to see an in depth analysis of how his protection is holding up. I've seen two so far (one by Dilfer and one on NFC Playbook) and Romo is getting harassed big time.

Combine the pressure with Garretts extreme vertical offense and our offense simply doesn't have enough time to open up nor does Romo have time to make a clean pass that isn't rushed, thrown off balance or thrown while trynig to avoid a defender. I believe this is why his accuracy has dropped off.

We seem to move the ball when we run and take the short stuff, we get shut down when we rely too heavily on the deep throws. I don't understand why we can't build our offense around the high percentage short game and use that to open up the low percentage long game.

But, what do I know, I'm no genius.

I am more critical of Romo's game management and lack of situational awareness:

1. Sometimes we need the gun slinger and sometimes we need a game manager. Ex: 1st game vs the Eagles. We're leading 14-6, we have the ball around our own 28. Romo gets heavy pressure, does a nice job avoiding the sack, but instead of scooting up the field for a few yards, he forces a throw to Austin that goes high and is intercepted. Philly immediately scores a TD, Stanbach screws the pooch on the kickoff causing us to start on our own 6 yard line. Romo immediately fumbles the ball on a hand off, recovers it, tries to avoid a sack in the end zone while slinging the ball around, fumbles again, TD Eagles. In less than one minute we have gone from having the momentum & a 14-6 lead to losing the momentum and falling behind 20-14. This is a prime example of where we need Romo the game manager and not Romo the gunslinger. He needs to learn how to manage each situation better and I fault both him and the coaching staff for not driving this home with Romo before he sets foot on the field with a 14-6 lead, the momentum and decent field position.

2. I believe half of his turnovers (fumbles and INT's) could have been avoided by simply managing the game better. Like I said, there is a time to be a gunslinger and a time to be a game manager. There is not a rule that says he has to go to one extreme or the other.

3. When he moves in the pocket, he tends to hold the ball with one hand. Surely this is correctable and there is a way to keep both hands on the ball as he works to avoid pressure while still looking downfield.

The good news is that all of the things I mentioned are correctable if he and the coaching staff believes these are problems, then they can work to correct these deficiencies.

Why it hasn't been done yet is mystifying. I'm assuming there is something I am not seeing.

One cannot avoid pressure like Romo does with both hands on the ball. He twists and ducks his way out of pressure, and you need your off hand to do so. We just have to take the good with the bad with Romo, and hope he minimizes the bad.

yimyammer

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2525153 said:
One cannot avoid pressure like Romo does with both hands on the ball. He twists and ducks his way out of pressure, and you need your off hand to do so. We just have to take the good with the bad with Romo, and hope he minimizes the bad.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. He can minimize the number of times he holds the ball with one hand and he can reduce the number of interceptions by making better decisions. Like I said, this isn't an either or solution.

I didn't say quit being a gunslinger completely, I said tweak his game slightly depending upon the situations of the game conditions. The two Int's vs Baltimore are prime examples of what I'm talking about. Not making those two throws doesn't change his style at all, it merely improves his overall game and gives his team a better chance to win. If he just doesn't throw the 2nd Int that led to Baltimore's 3rd field goal of the 1st half, we would have taken the lead instead of bringing us within 2 points in the 4th quarter.

I sure hope the coaches don't have your attitide and just shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well, that's Romo, nothing we can do, so just let er rip" because if they do and Romo never adjusts his game, I'll bet he'll never win a Super Bowl. Until he gets rid of those unnecessary and avoidable turnovers or at least keeps them down to the absolute minimum, I don't believe they'll see another Super Bowl victory.

I bet the day he makes a Super Bowl run will be the day we hear how well Romo managed the game and committed few, if any turnovers.

Right now, defenses come in fully expecting Romo to turn the ball over once or twice a game. I recall Jimmy saying the same thing about Jim Kelly prior to our first Super Bowl win of the 90's.

Like I said in the beginning, I think much of this is due to protection break downs more than massive deficiencies in his skills. I believe a minor adjustment to his game would reap huge benefits without sacrificing much, if any of what we all love about how he plays.