Romo makes another great decision

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Idgit;1211653 said:
I told him he shouldn't have went off the beaten path!

And, don't you mean 'you're horse?'

you're horse? = you are horse? unga bunga
now you are missing an "a" :laugh1:

Haley94

Reaction score
tyke1doe;1211656 said:
And since I'm a reporter and have employed such "fresh language" you do understand there's a difference between using slang or employing the use of phrases instead of sentences and using a phrase that is inherently an attempt to use correct grammar but doesn't.

If I said "Yo dog! I done went to da store," that would be using "fresh language" because it's consistent and in context.

If I said, "Hey, my friend, I should have went to the store," that is incorrect language because the context suggests one is trying to speak correct English and then commits a tense error which doesn't fit the "fresh language" argument.

The posters who used the "should have went" didn't have anything in their posts that seemed to suggest they were talking slang or using "fresh language."

As such, I simply responded by saying, I don't know if you knew this but it's should have gone. I'm not trying to condescend, but you may not know you're using incorrect grammar and I'm simply bringing this to your attention so you'll be knowledgeable in the future, should you need that information.

You know, knowledge is power. :D

But imagination is more powerful than Knowledge.... at least according to Einstein (but what did he know).

Just imagine you understood what he meant and leave the teaching to teachers and moms. If you feel the need to correct someone, show some class and do it discreetly.

Goodbye.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Tai Kwan Do is the Korean martial art. Karate is the japanese form. Noone is correcting you for this mistake. But again "Knowledge is power".

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
mmohican29;1211692 said:
Tai Kwan Do is the Korean martial art. Karate is the japanese form. Noone is correcting you for this mistake. But again "Knowledge is power".

LMAO.... what a weird twist this thread has done taken:lmao2:

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
LOL if i was him i would have gone for sure to the party because u know it was great but if he didnt go to get ready for NO then i have no problem with him staying.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
MTRS-Jon;1211491 said:
I disagree, people judge you by the grammar and spelling you use. If your posts read like an idiot wrote them, then chances are the people reading them are going to believe that you are indeed an idiot. Being on a public forum doesn't excuse poor grammar or spelling, in fact it is even more critical to at least appear that you have a grasp of the language.

If you are texting your buds, then I agree that grammar and spelling aren't that important, these are people that know you already, but when you post your ideas on a public forum you are in essence posting not just your thoughts but yourself as well.

Jon

:bow:

Now, what is so wrong about proper english?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haley94;1211687 said:
But imagination is more powerful than Knowledge.... at least according to Einstein (but what did he know).

Just imagine you understood what he meant and leave the teaching to teachers and moms. If you feel the need to correct someone, show some class and do it discreetly.

Goodbye.

Holy Jeebus. I can't help myself.....you're not showing imagination by acting ********. There is no 'good fight' you're fighting in the defense of appearing ignorant. And how do you know we're not teachers? Or moms, for that matter?

For the record, I'm open to information, suggestions, or criticism from anyone on the board, and I'm not so thin-skinned that I'm worried about discretion as long as it's handled respectfully.

What I will apologize for, though, is my participation in thread-hijacking. That's worse than bad grammar, in my own book. Hooray for Tony Romo, for not going to a party, or whatever.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm glad that LeotisBrown did not post in this thread! :eek:

The poor bastid would have been taken to the woodshed!!

:rolleyes:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Idgit;1211756 said:
Holy Jeebus. I can't help myself.....you're not showing imagination by acting ********. There is no 'good fight' you're fighting in the defense of appearing ignorant. And how do you know we're not teachers? Or moms, for that matter?

For the record, I'm open to information, suggestions, or criticism from anyone on the board, and I'm not so thin-skinned that I'm worried about discretion as long as it's handled respectfully.

What I will apologize for, though, is my participation in thread-hijacking. That's worse than bad grammar, in my own book. Hooray for Tony Romo, for not going to a party, or whatever.

Equating a grammatical error with"acting ********" is a bit of a stretch. Language changes over time due to cross cultural exchanges, technological innovations, etc. It's a process IMO that has sped up in the Internet age.
Insisting that there can be a "correct" grammar has its flaws, though. It's inherently subjective.

Went, gone. It doesn't really matter.

jem88

Reaction score
Idgit;1211571 said:
Fair enough. My issue isn't so much with abbreviations or the occasional bad grammar or misspelling. I understand that not everybody types from a full keyboard all the time.

What gets to me is the defense of the right to act ignorant, all the time, and out of laziness. Grammar and syntax exist for good reasons and are not just matters of convention.
I agree with you. I knew so many intelligent people in university who got nailed for making basic grammar mistakes on essays. I thought tyke1doe's correction was well-meaning and hopefully some might learn from it, rather than be offended by it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
windward;1211825 said:
Equating a grammatical error with"acting ********" is a bit of a stretch. Language changes over time due to cross cultural exchanges, technological innovations, etc. It's a process IMO that has sped up in the Internet age.
Insisting that there can be a "correct" grammar has its flaws, though. It's inherently subjective.

Went, gone. It doesn't really matter.

It is a stretch, and not a very nice one.

Of course there are issues in any grammar that are inherently subjective. You're wrong, though, to think that the variations don't matter. Word choice, grammar, case, context are all useful in communicating subtle differences in perception. That's valuable. And it can get lost if nobody thinks it's important enough to bother being vigilant about it.

What's the point in being needlessly hamfisted? Why is that something worth defending? Why not encourage an effort to be precise, clear, explicative? To use words correctly? Because it's a little bit harder to do? Or because it requires more thought? I don't get it.

Just because your only tool is a hammer, doesn't mean everything is a nail. Or does it? Or are we going to discuss the value of a subjective interpretation of what a nail is, next?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jem88;1211923 said:
I agree with you. I knew so many intelligent people in university who got nailed for making basic grammar mistakes on essays. I thought tyke1doe's correction was well-meaning and hopefully some might learn from it, rather than be offended by it.

Thank, you, jem.
This sure is a weird topic for me to rant on.

jem88

Reaction score
Idgit;1211970 said:
Thank, you, jem.
This sure is a weird topic for me to rant on.
I hear you. I guess I'm a bit anal about these things at times. The "I'm loving it" McDonald's commercial drives me crazy. I'm always imploring my students to ignore it.