Romo makes another great decision

sago1

Reaction score
How good TO have a party in LA on Monday nite & then expect be back at VR bright and early; same goes to those of our players who did attend his party. Am glad Romo didn't go cause he didn't have such a great game that he can afford not to study game film and do whatever is necessary to improve his performance and make sure he set for Sunday. He should just have thanked TO, explained he studying film cause he upset with the mistakes he made against the Giants and missed throw to TO and others, but appreciates the invite. In fact Romo should set up a date with TO where Romo pays for another birthday party for TO in LA after the season is over. Maybe he can give TO a neat birthday present on Sunday to help TO celebrate his birthday. Maybe a 5 TD day with TO catching 3 of them for over 100 yards. The other 2 TDs need go to Glenn & Witten. Like see Crayton catch one so got no problem if Romo throws 6--all in the first half.

BTW: Don't mean this as any disrespect to the Saints although realize it might sounds like that to any of them trolling on this site. I would say that no matter who we playing and not meaning any derog against any team. Just something to throw out and make TO happy.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
yennor24;1211431 said:
Thank you Mick......People on message boards should not worry about spelling or grammer, if you understood what the person said then it's cool...I text somebody the other day and said thru instead of through and had to hear about it, my reply was did you understand what the **** I said.....

I disagree, people judge you by the grammar and spelling you use. If your posts read like an idiot wrote them, then chances are the people reading them are going to believe that you are indeed an idiot. Being on a public forum doesn't excuse poor grammar or spelling, in fact it is even more critical to at least appear that you have a grasp of the language.

If you are texting your buds, then I agree that grammar and spelling aren't that important, these are people that know you already, but when you post your ideas on a public forum you are in essence posting not just your thoughts but yourself as well.

Jon

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
sago1;1211488 said:
How good TO have a party in LA on Monday nite & then expect be back at VR bright and early; same goes to those of our players who did attend his party. Am glad Romo didn't go cause he didn't have such a great game that he can afford not to study game film and do whatever is necessary to improve his performance and make sure he set for Sunday. He should just have thanked TO, explained he studying film cause he upset with the mistakes he made against the Giants and missed throw to TO and others, but appreciates the invite. In fact Romo should set up a date with TO where Romo pays for another birthday party for TO in LA after the season is over. Maybe he can give TO a neat birthday present on Sunday to help TO celebrate his birthday. Maybe a 5 TD day with TO catching 3 of them for over 100 yards. The other 2 TDs need go to Glenn & Witten. Like see Crayton catch one so got no problem if Romo throws 6--all in the first half.

BTW: Don't mean this as any disrespect to the Saints although realize it might sounds like that to any of them trolling on this site. I would say that no matter who we playing and not meaning any derog against any team. Just something to throw out and make TO happy.

They dont/nor do they have to study game film and practice 24/7... besides TO doesnt drink... nothing wrong with a little nonfootball fun....

anyways

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1211420 said:
First, incorrect grammar use is different than online abbreviations. "U" and "3" are shorthand versions of longer words. "gone" and "went" are tense differences.

Second, if you read my statement I said "but for those who truly did not know" ...

Some people truly don't know they're using the wrong term and don't mind the correction.

I know I wouldn't mind a non-condescending correction, especially if didn't know better.

It's all good. Don't get so, er, anal about others being "anal" about proper English and grammar, especially people who preface their statements to remove any trace of condescension. :)

Its only 'proper' because some scholastic arbitrarily decided that is the way it should be. What you miss in all of this is that if people continue to prefer saying went over gone that some equally crusty old scholastic is going to decide in favor of went.

Seeing that gone and went are just about synonymous and you understand what they were saying I dont know why youre chastising.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;1211449 said:
And I respect your position. But that's you.

I also come to a message board to be enlightened. And if I'm using a term incorrectly, I don't want people to feel I'm so sensitive that they can't correct me.

It aint no biggie. I was simply sharing information, not making an sweeping indictment on a person's intelligence or one's ability to communicate. :)

tyke1doe, you're not alone. Many of us prefer to exchange thoughts and ideas with people we don't think of as either hunchbacks or teenagers. Your tone wa appropriate, and if they don't like being corrected they can always take the time to type correctly the next time, rather than rattling off a couple of paragraphs in defense of ignorance and sloth and then standing around patting each other on the back about it.

Haley94

Reaction score
YoMick;1211492 said:
They dont/nor do they have to study game film and practice 24/7... besides TO doesnt drink... nothing wrong with a little nonfootball fun....

anyways

Sure... there is nothing wrong with it, but it breaks routine. Romo has to be sharp on Wed when they practice. The tempo of this team is dictated by him. Romo drinks (unlike TO) and we all know how a few beers can turn into a few to many, especially with some horny blonde buying them. It was a good move. There is always another horny blonde around the corner.;)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Idgit;1211505 said:
tyke1doe, you're not alone. Many of us prefer to exchange thoughts and ideas with people we don't think of as either hunchbacks or teenagers. Your tone wa appropriate, and if they don't like being corrected they can always take the time to type correctly the next time, rather than rattling off a couple of paragraphs in defense of ignorance and sloth and then standing around patting each other on the back about it.

LOL... some of us post on the run... just trying to get a point across.... before you know it we will start going after screen names being spelled incorrectly.... is "Idgit" supposed to be "Idiot" j/k

isnt Tyke1doe supposed to be "tai kwon do" j/k

Haley94

Reaction score
YoMick;1211526 said:
LOL... some of us post on the run... just trying to get a point across.... before you know it we will start going after screen names being spelled incorrectly.... is "Idgit" supposed to be "Idiot" j/k

I agree. We all type mistakes, let's not be so anal about it. This is a football board, not an academic or business board. In football, I dare say, the team with the best grammar ain't gonna win the Superbowl.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;1211526 said:

Fair enough. My issue isn't so much with abbreviations or the occasional bad grammar or misspelling. I understand that not everybody types from a full keyboard all the time.

What gets to me is the defense of the right to act ignorant, all the time, and out of laziness. Grammar and syntax exist for good reasons and are not just matters of convention. Arguing for your right to ignore them is like arguing for your right to fart in an elevator.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Idgit;1211571 said:
Fair enough. My issue isn't so much with abbreviations or the occasional bad grammar or misspelling. I understand that not everybody types from a full keyboard all the time.

What gets to me is the defense of the right to act ignorant, all the time, and out of laziness. Grammar and syntax exist for good reasons and are not just matters of convention. Arguing for your right to ignore them is like arguing for your right to fart in an elevator.

But STILL.... if you understand the post then why bother?.... (rhetorical)

Haley94

Reaction score
Idgit;1211571 said:

Language is a creative and constantly evolving theater of human expression. Sometimes, in order to evolve, one must break the bonds of convention to get to heart of what is being communicated.

You kind of make me want to go find an elevator, eat some beans, and let it rip.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Haley94;1211592 said:
Language is a creative and constantly evolving theater of human expression. Sometimes, in order to evolve, one must break the bonds of convention to get to heart of what is being communicated.

You kind of make me want to go find an elevator, eat some beans, and let it rip.

True.... lets me just throw this out there... did you ever think that reporters that report the news etc would be saying things like "my bad" or "chillin out" or "bling bling"...... anyhoo LOL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;1211573 said:
But STILL.... if you understand the post then why bother?.... (rhetorical)

I understand the cavemen in dinosaur movies. That doesn't mean I want to talk like them, or that I wouldn't feel silly having a conversation with one. I understand pig latin, and people who can belch the alphabet. I guess the finer points of that argument are lost on me.

That said, I like all of the posters in this thread quite a bit, and I like hearing what they have to say on football topics. I'm sticking up for tyke1doe as a matter of general principle.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Idgit;1211596 said:
I understand the cavemen in dinosaur movies. That doesn't mean I want to talk like them, or that I wouldn't feel silly having a conversation with one. quote]

:eek: so you are saying that you dont want to correspond with posters that use "went" instead of "gone"???

say it aint so... LOL j/k

I am done with this offtopic thread :D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haley94;1211592 said:

Far be it from me to inhibit your creative and constantly-evolving theater of human expression in elevators.

Evolution requires the extinction of the ineffective or inefficient contestants; I'm not sure it's an argument in the favor of ignorance. I care about you guys, so I try to show you the path out of the pond-scum of the Texas education system and onto the dry land of a well-mannered internet chat room. Really, though, this line of discussion is off-topic and getting more attention from me than I care to give it. How 'bout I get off of my high horse and let the rest of you beat it until it's dead, and then some?

Haley94

Reaction score
YoMick;1211595 said:
True.... lets me just throw this out there... did you ever think that reporters that report the news etc would be saying things like "my bad" or "chillin out" or "bling bling"...... anyhoo LOL

You can't compare the formality of reporting to the informality of a message board. Reporters are suppose to be professional writers. Still, to your point, some of the best written "reports" out there are the pieces that break convention and adopt the "fresh language" of the time and the intrinsic rhythm of their vision to the reader. Notice how we are not speaking in Old English any more.

Haley94

Reaction score
Idgit;1211616 said:
Far be it from me to inhibit your creative and constantly-evolving theater of human expression in elevators.

Evolution requires the extinction of the ineffective or inefficient contestants; I'm not sure it's an argument in the favor of ignorance. I care about you guys, so I try to show you the path out of the pond-scum of the Texas education system and onto the dry land of a well-mannered internet chat room. Really, though, this line of discussion is off-topic and getting more attention from me than I care to give it. How 'bout I get off of my high horse and let the rest of you beat it until it's dead, and then some?

Ageed! Your high horse seems to be in a bit of quick sand.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1211499 said:
Its only 'proper' because some scholastic arbitrarily decided that is the way it should be. What you miss in all of this is that if people continue to prefer saying went over gone that some equally crusty old scholastic is going to decide in favor of went.

Says who? :confused:

And do you have an example where some equally crusty old scholastic changed the rules of grammar because people were abusing it?

Cmon, let's not make this stuff up on the fly.

Seeing that gone and went are just about synonymous and you understand what they were saying I dont know why youre chastising.

Again, you miss the point.

I saw twice where posters said "should have went." That is grammatically incorrect.

I assume they probably didn't know the difference between the tenses and simply pointed it out in a non-condscending way.

I don't get offended when people point out errors I might make, whether it's grammar or something else. That's how people learn.

And what difference does it make? Well, if you're interviewing for a job where communication skills are important, knowing the correct usage could be very important in possibly securing that job.

What I find even more interesting is how so offended folks get, as if people are above being corrected.

This has nothing to do with understanding what a person is saying. Of course, I understood what the posters were saying.

My response was to shed light on a possible grammatical blind spot. If the posters know "should have went" is incorrect, great.

Oh, and shorthand is not the same as incorrect verb tense.

And another thing, my nickname is tyke and I'm into karate, hence my Internet name. ;)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haley94;1211623 said:
Ageed! Your high horse seems to be in a bit of quick sand.

I told him he shouldn't have went off the beaten path!

And, don't you mean 'you're horse?'

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Haley94;1211620 said:
You can't compare the formality of reporting to the informality of a message board. Reporters are suppose to be professional writers. Still, to your point, some of the best written "reports" out there are the pieces that break convention and adopt the "fresh language" of the time and the intrinsic rhythm of their vision to the reader. Notice how we are not speaking in Old English any more.

And since I'm a reporter and have employed such "fresh language" you do understand there's a difference between using slang or employing the use of phrases instead of sentences and using a phrase that is inherently an attempt to use correct grammar but doesn't.

If I said "Yo dog! I done went to da store," that would be using "fresh language" because it's consistent and in context.

If I said, "Hey, my friend, I should have went to the store," that is incorrect language because the context suggests one is trying to speak correct English and then commits a tense error which doesn't fit the "fresh language" argument.

The posters who used the "should have went" didn't have anything in their posts that seemed to suggest they were talking slang or using "fresh language."

As such, I simply responded by saying, I don't know if you knew this but it's should have gone. I'm not trying to condescend, but you may not know you're using incorrect grammar and I'm simply bringing this to your attention so you'll be knowledgeable in the future, should you need that information.

You know, knowledge is power. :D