Romo-meter...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Perhaps, but I'll go on record right now and say that I don't believe Parcells figured he'd see what he saw from Romo last night.

Romo threw 1 bad pass deep down the middle that was picked the 1st one Crayton stopped on the slant and every QB would have suffered that int. Romo was able to get the team into overtime and march the team down to FG range twice. I relize that was aginst Vikes backups but to place the blame on Romo because of Crayton failing to run the rout is not a fair call.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone expected that play when the snap went over his head....

;)

Don't go down this road. I am asking you not to derail this conversation after we've just managed to get it back to decent. I think I've been very clear in the fact that I do like what Romo can do for you and what his abilities offer. It's the questionable decision to throw the ball into trouble at times that worries me. Parcells has stayed on Romo about making the smart decisions. Learning to protect the ball. I believe that BP felt like Romo was starting to get those things and that maybe he was a bit past that. I don't know that BP felt like he would see Romo throw the amount of questionable balls that he did last night. I saw maybe 5 questionable balls. While that may not seem like a lot to most people, I'd imagine that Parcells would not feel that way. That's 5 too many in his mind. I'm not Bill so I can't say exactly what he things but I will tell you that I believe Parcells is not going to be very happy about that and he is going to make that point clear to Romo. That's just my opinion, as stated earlier but I believe it is true.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Romo threw 1 bad pass deep down the middle that was picked the 1st one Crayton stopped on the slant and every QB would have suffered that int. Romo was able to get the team into overtime and march the team down to FG range twice. I relize that was aginst Vikes backups but to place the blame on Romo because of Crayton failing to run the rout is not a fair call.

Watch that game again. Chart his throws and don't do it from the perspective of a fan of Romo but, if you can, do it from the perspective of what Parcells might want to see. Then tell me what you find.

If you come back and tell me that you only see one questionable play, OK. I'll accept that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
chinch said:
Clarify please... you're on record that Parcells expected to see more or less from Romo?

No, this is wrong. I never said that Parcells is on record about anything. Don't try to twist words. I said that I will go on record that I don't believe Parcells expected to see what he saw.

Big difference.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Watch that game again. Chart his throws and don't do it from the perspective of a fan of Romo but, if you can, do it from the perspective of what Parcells might want to see. Then tell me what you find.

I'm not doing it as a Romo fan, I pulled as much for Henson if not more than Romo I know darn well Crayton stopped on that rout and it cost Romo the int. Romo did not play a bad game he did make some mistakes but he also made some very nice plays out there. As far as Parcells he and Jerry just gave Romo an extention I think they are happy with his play or they would not have stepped up to the plate as they did. I don't have any bias towards Romo I call it the way I see it can you honestly say the same?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone expected that play when the snap went over his head....

;)

But yeah, your right. That play really was something. He really is a double edged sword. I'll be honest with you. I seriously had my doubts about Romo because I never imagined that he had the imagination he does. He is fun to watch but who knew? Certainly not I.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
No, this is wrong. I never said that Parcells is on record about anything. Don't try to twist words. I said that I will go on record that I don't believe Parcells expected to see what he saw.

Big difference.
we all know you don't talk for bill... i'm referring to what YOU are claiming to know about what bill thinks.

you think bill expected Romo to play better than '92-95 Troy and with backups. OK. Gotcha.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm not doing it as a Romo fan, I pulled as much for Henson if not more than Romo I know darn well Crayton stopped on that rout and it cost Romo the int. Romo did not play a bad game he did make some mistakes but he also made some very nice plays out there. As far as Parcells he and Jerry just gave Romo an extention I think they are happy with his play or they would not have stepped up to the plate as they did. I don't have any bias towards Romo I call it the way I see it can you honestly say the same?

No, I said nothing of Henson. I said as a fan of Romo. To clarify, not as a football fan but as a coach. I understand that he made some plays but it's not the plays you make, it's the potential mistakes or outright mistakes that decide success as a QB and ultimatly a team in the NFL. Bledsoe is not the most talented player in the world. He starts because Bill trust that he will not make errors. Vinnie started for the same reason. For Bill, it's not nearly as much about the plays you make as it is the mistakes or potential mistakes you avoid IMO.

Just re watch the game and tell me what you see.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
chinch said:
we all know you don't talk for bill... i'm referring to what YOU are claiming to know about what bill thinks.

you think bill expected Romo to play better than '92-95 Troy and with backups. OK. Gotcha.

I never said I know what Bill thinks. That and all the rest of your post is fabrication.

Don't insult me please.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
No, I said nothing of Henson. I said as a fan of Romo. To clarify, not as a football fan but as a coach. I understand that he made some plays but it's not the plays you make, it's the potential mistakes or outright mistakes that decide success as a QB and ultimatly a team in the NFL. Bledsoe is not the most talented player in the world. He starts because Bill trust that he will not make errors. Vinnie started for the same reason. For Bill, it's not nearly as much about the plays you make as it is the mistakes or potential mistakes you avoid IMO.

Just re watch the game and tell me what you see.

What are you talking about Romo was not making a lot of mistakes out there matter of fact he turned 1 big mistake from the center into a positive play. Romo did miss a TE down the sideline I could call that a mistake and he threw deep down field to a WR who was facing double coverage. Please tell me what QB has never done that? I'm not saying he is ready to take over the starting job this year but yes I think he can come in and run this offense and NO Dallas is not going get some vet and make Romo a 3rd string QB as you seem to hope for. If BP did not trust Romo he would have shipped him out just as he did Carter, Hutch and Henson BP trust him you don't that is the differance. I think I'm being very realistic here and not some hardcore Romo fan I'm saying this because I think the kids has done a very good job this training camp and earned the backup job and with that job comes the responsibility of taking over if the starter goes down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
What are you talking about Romo was not making a lot of mistakes out there matter of fact he turned 1 big mistake from the center into a positive play. Romo did miss a TE down the sideline I could call that a mistake and he threw deep down field to a WR who was facing double coverage. Please tell me what QB has never done that? I'm not saying he is ready to take over the starting job this year but yes I think he can come in and run this offense and NO Dallas is not going get some vet and make Romo a 3rd string QB as you seem to hope for. If BP did not trust Romo he would have shipped him out just as he did Carter, Hutch and Henson BP trust him you don't that is the differance. I think I'm being very realistic here and not some hardcore Romo fan I'm saying this because I think the kids has done a very good job this training camp and earned the backup job and with that job comes the responsibility of taking over if the starter goes down.

OK, fair enough. I don't agree with all of what you say.

I agree that he made some plays but I did not see a flawless game from him.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
To be honest with you, if Bledsoe went down long term, I'd rather let Romo play because at that point, I'd look at building Romo for the next year. To me, that would be the situation that would make more sense to play Romo in. The NFC is going to be very tight this year. I would really like to have experience on the roster.

I think we all agree with you on this.......I'm not sure what it is your argument is.

It is my bellieve, from reading this entire thread that your argument is certainly tainted because of your dislike of Romo. You dwell on a few bad plays, and downplay the many more good plays that he made. Was every one of Beldsoe's plays perfect? Does he not make mistakes?

All QB's make mistakes in every game they play. Sure Romo played against 2nd and 3rd teamers, and vanilla defenses, but he also played against 1 st teamers and the same vanilla defenses Bledsoe faced. So why the need to descredit him? You should be happy that we potentially have our very good backupp and quite possible our future starter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
I think we all agree with you on this.......I'm not sure what it is your argument is.

It is my bellieve, from reading this entire thread that your argument is certainly tainted because of your dislike of Romo. You dwell on a few bad plays, and downplay the many more good plays that he made. Was every one of Beldsoe's plays perfect? Does he not make mistakes?

All QB's make mistakes in every game they play. Sure Romo played against 2nd and 3rd teamers, and vanilla defenses, but he also played against 1 st teamers and the same vanilla defenses Bledsoe faced. So why the need to descredit him? You should be happy that we potentially have our very good backupp and quite possible our future starter.

Your certainly intitled to your opinion.

If Romo ends up playing this year, I guess we'll see if he's ready or not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
OK, fair enough. I don't agree with all of what you say.

I agree that he made some plays but I did not see a flawless game from him.

I did not see flawless either but I don't see flawless from any QB they all make mistakes. Staubach made mistakes why do you think we had to come from behind many times. How these guys respond after mistakes I think says a lot about them as QB and I see a very strong minded QB in Romo who is not going to get down on himself every time he makes a mistake but will come right back at you. Last night he went 30 of 45 for 349 yards, he threw 2 ints 1 clearly his fault the other the WR has to take some blame. He has 1 TD pass in a critical situation and 1 dropped in overtime that was dead on the money. I don't expect perfection but I do think he can play this game and I think this organization feels the same way.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
But yeah, your right. That play really was something. He really is a double edged sword. I'll be honest with you. I seriously had my doubts about Romo because I never imagined that he had the imagination he does. He is fun to watch but who knew? Certainly not I.

He is fun to watch, more entertaining in a way than Troy. But stoic Troy won 3 championships.

Whats real fun is we have no idea how all of this will turn out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jarv said:
He is fun to watch, more entertaining in a way than Troy. But stoic Troy won 3 championships.

Whats real fun is we have no idea how all of this will turn out.

Yep. I agree Jarv.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Your certainly intitled to your opinion.

If Romo ends up playing this year, I guess we'll see if he's ready or not.
The same could be said of the offensive line. We will see if they are ready or not - when the Cowboys go up against relatively strong pass rushing teams.

You see, not gambling at the QB position (i.e., playing it safe by going with Bledsoe) means that you are gambling that the offensive line will be able to provide Bledsoe with the kind of protection he needs.

That's a very big part of this debate.

Many of us think it unlikely that the OL will consistently protect Bledsoe well enough through the season and playoffs.

IMO, it is very likely that in at least a couple of critical games (upon which the season will rest) the OL isn't going to get the job done. And Bledsoe won't have a chance.

Romo is clearly a risker choice at QB (that's the downside), but he stands a better chance of getting it done when the OL provides less than "Bledsoe level" protection.

Anyway, that's why some of us lean towards Romo, despite his inexperience. It is fine to disagree with it, of course, but that's the logic behind it.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
For some reason, "impulse throws" don't sound as scary referring to Romo as they did to Q. Or maybe I just have a greater appreciation for 'sandlot' than most fans do.

No one wants to see games lost or drives ruined on impulsive decisions, but learning to throw it away takes many, if not most, quarterbacks a while. (Don't even get into how many years it took Drew.)

"Impulse throws" may be anathema to coaches, but they are also the flip side of a particular style of QB, ie Favre. Sometimes, when those impulses work, you get amazingly instinctual, high light reel plays...the kind more methodical type qbs rarely demonstrate.

I don't want to see Romo's instincts or energy harnessed, because he hasn't had enough game reps to even calculate his odds like a more experienced qb does. That will come in time.

I thought this with Q and am beginning to think it of Tony...while on the learning curve qbs with this 'flair' need to learn/improve discipline, but making something happen on the run, or just sixth sensing an opportunity in the pocket is what makes their games potentially very special..so the straight-jacket needs to be fastened loosely.

Still seeing shades of Kilmer in this one, leadership wise in particular.

nice post.

johnny unitas had a helluva lot sandlot in him, too. and all that got him was the reverence reserved the greatest players of all time.

exceptional players make plays. they don't hold back simply for the sake of playing it safe. they have the utmost confidence - and some uniquely bizarre plays are often the result.

a young brett favre is another example.

who cares what has befallen favre late in his career? he's already ensured a bust in canton. i defy any of you to claim you witnessed his reckless style of play and were NOT amazed at his innate ability to move his team down the field to scores. he just flat got it done.

romo's game is "seat of the pants". and it ain't all bad either. he may just be one of those amazing guys cut from the rare unitas/favre type of cloth.

if nothing else - he's dayum entertaining. unlike the parade of dull "close-to-the-vest" stiffs that have saturated the league QB slots.

i really enjoy watching this kid play.

wileedog

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
nice post.

johnny unitas had a helluva lot sandlot in him, too. and all that got him was the reverence reserved the greatest players of all time.

exceptional players make plays. they don't hold back simply for the sake of playing it safe. they have the utmost confidence - and some uniquely bizarre plays are often the result.

a young brett favre is another example.

who cares what has befallen favre late in his career? he's already ensured a bust in canton. i defy any of you to claim you witnessed his reckless style of play and were NOT amazed at his innate ability to move his team down the field to scores. he just flat got it done.

romo's game is "seat of the pants". and it ain't all bad either. he may just be one of those amazing guys cut from the rare unitas/favre type of cloth.

if nothing else - he's dayum entertaining. unlike the parade of dull "close-to-the-vest" stiffs that have saturated the league QB slots.

i really enjoy watching this kid play.

Be prepared for the "OMGZ you're comparing Romo to Favre posts!!11!!1!" incoming.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Be prepared for the "OMGZ you're comparing Romo to Favre posts!!11!!1!" incoming.
comes with the territory.

like tony would prolly tell ya - "safe is easy". and where's the challenge in that?

you go romo.