Romo-meter...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
About the same kind of help you would get from your typical 3rd string QB, not much. Face it any team who is forced to throw their 3rd QB out there is in big trouble. I think in most season Dallas would carry a 3rd QB and they may do so again this season but based on what Parcells has said we very well could start the season with only 2 QB's

I don't know that I agree with you, if we do something now. I think that there will be a couple of guys available in the very near future, that could help but we would have to pay for them. The difference, to me, is that we would have to pay as much or more, later in the season for much less.

However, I do agree with you that we will probably go with just 2 QBs.

I guess the big difference between me and most is that everybody sees Romo as the designated number 2 guy. I don't. He has the talent to be a starter but I don't think he's ready yet. What indears him to most is what I would like to see him do less of. Probably doesn't matter. We are going to go with what we have but I still would rather have a good experienced guy that we could go to if we had to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I agree you don't get much help from 3rd string. But really, three things BP era has so far shown is, He can't get a Kicker to kick worth a lick, OL to block a lick, and QB to produce consistantly so far.

While on Defense it seems to be the opposite, he seems to get great production out of them. So I am concerned, about 3rd QB, but probably am not too worried about it. Since at this point, if Drew Henson was third, there would have been some comfort. But with Matt Baker? Who cares. We are in deep doo doo, if both Bledsoe and Romo go down anyway.

I think that is the case with every team out there. Most teams are screwed if #1 goes down to start with let alone the #2 QB. If I was going to go to a 3rd string guy I may as well look at an older vet who is out of work at least he has a feel for the NFL game, that is not saying he will come in and produce much but he would at least understand what he is looking at.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
What indears him to most is what I would like to see him do less of.

What endears me most to him is his 67% completion percentage, 95 QB rating and his exceptional turnover:snap ratio.

You would prefer a QB who was less accurate, less efficient and more likely to turn the ball over?

If so, I could see why you would prefer Volek.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
theogt said:
He got Bledsoe to perform pretty well last season despite turnstile tackles and he's developed our future QB. Not too shabby.

Okie Dokie, I didn't know a good pre-season proves that he is the definite future of cowboys at QB. I agree that he might be, but to say to any guarantee that he will be the future is way too premature.

Till I see that on the NFL field on Sundays, just like the failures so far on OL and Kickers, I remain skeptical. As far as Bledsoe performing well last year, I guess each to his own, I never thought he did well in second half, regardless of OL woes, and seems like Coaches seem to think the same, based on how he is being pushed this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know that I agree with you, if we do something now. I think that there will be a couple of guys available in the very near future, that could help but we would have to pay for them. The difference, to me, is that we would have to pay as much or more, later in the season for much less.

However, I do agree with you that we will probably go with just 2 QBs.

I guess the big difference between me and most is that everybody sees Romo as the designated number 2 guy. I don't. He has the talent to be a starter but I don't think he's ready yet. What indears him to most is what I would like to see him do less of. Probably doesn't matter. We are going to go with what we have but I still would rather have a good experienced guy that we could go to if we had to.

I think the Cowboys do look at Romo as the backup there is no questions about it you don't have to agree with it but the fact of the matter is Romo is the backup and will play if Bledsoe goes down. In the mean time I don't think they want to cut some of the young promising players for a 3rd string QB who really is not going to help you much.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
He's not talking about the 3rd string guy.

He's talking about Romo. He doesn't like Romo, and he thinks a guy on the street in late August can do better.

I'm thinking a guy like Volek might do better, short term. I don't question Romo's potential to be our starter eventually but I do think that he has to get passed his compulisive tendancies. I mean, you watched the game too, did you not? There were more then just one or two compulisve throws on Romo's behalf. I give this player his dues. He looks like he can eventually be an effective player but I'm telling you, I did not like Favre either, for all the same reasons. Yeah, he put up huge numbers and he will have one championship to show for it. Yeah, the media loved him but he has had a history of undisciplined play. If that is what you like, and you find that style of play exciting, then Romo is a guy that I can understand you really liking right now. I don't like that. I like a more controlled player at QB. This is why I would rather not see Romo at this point. It's not more then that.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think that is the case with every team out there. Most teams are screwed if #1 goes down to start with let alone the #2 QB. If I was going to go to a 3rd string guy I may as well look at an older vet who is out of work at least he has a feel for the NFL game, that is not saying he will come in and produce much but he would at least understand what he is looking at.

Yep Agree. But like I said, I am not too concerned about that right now, but like Murphy's law, bad things happen when you don't need them to happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
What endears me most to him is his 67% completion percentage, 95 QB rating and his exceptional turnover:snap ratio.

You would prefer a QB who was less accurate, less efficient and more likely to turn the ball over?

If so, I could see why you would prefer Volek.

I would rather a QB who has actually played in a real NFL game, yes. If your statistics, while very impressive, are what you would rather have that's fine. It is the difference between you and I on this subject. Pre-Season stats do not make me feel better about our QB situation. That is my opinion on this subject.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think the Cowboys do look at Romo as the backup there is no questions about it you don't have to agree with it but the fact of the matter is Romo is the backup and will play if Bledsoe goes down. In the mean time I don't think they want to cut some of the young promising players for a 3rd string QB who really is not going to help you much.

I acknowledged that. I'm sure that's how the team will probably go. I just don't agree.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Pre-Season stats do not make me feel better about our QB situation. That is my opinion on this subject.

Yet it certainly never stopped you from using one of Romo's remarkably few bad plays in a preseason game to form an opinion. He threw one bad interception in 4 games, and suddenly preseason games meant something again.

Somehow (at least when it comes to Romo) I get the hunch if he was posting a 47% completion percent and a 50 QB rating in the preseason then the statistics would take on a new found importance.

I don't seem to recall you being in favor of bringing in a "progress stopper" veteran backup QB when Drew Henson was here. Just so I'm clear, you're okay with Vinny Testeverde coming back to the team now, but it wasn't okay a year ago?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Yet it certainly never stopped you from using one of Romo's remarkably few bad plays in a preseason game to form an opinion. He threw one bad interception in 4 games, and suddenly preseason games mean something again.

Somehow (at least when it comes to Romo) I get the hunch if he was posting a 47% completion percent and a 50 QB rating in the preseason then the statistics would take on a new found importance.

Hearsay and speculation on your part. I have watched all but the first game. I have watched Romo and I do not believe I am unfair with his performance. However, if you would rather believe that I have an axe to grind, by all means continue to believe that.

The things I've seen from Romo, since he's been in Dallas, have also been seen by others. I don't need to carry some sort of agenda around to find areas of need in Romo's game.

You throw out Romo's statistics as proof of what your saying. That's fine. I've stated my belief's on those stats. They mean nothing until he's done it in a real game situation. I have never deviated from this opinion. You ellude to the fact that if they were lessor, I would be throwing them out there to discredit this player. If they were as you say, after the time he has spent with the team, he would not be hear. The point you are trying to hang on me is irrelivant. The facts are these. His stat line, in the NFL reads as a whole bunch of zeros at this point. When you get right down to it, those are the facts of the matter and they can not be disputed. Does it mean that he can't eventually end up being a good player for us? No it doesn't. It means that he hasn't proven anything just yet.

wileedog

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I'm thinking a guy like Volek might do better, short term.

Tennesse was so confident with his 'experience' they brought in Collins off the street to take over the job with a week left in camp. And I would bet they have a much better feel for his ability to start than any of us.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Tennesse was so confident with his 'experience' they brought in Collins off the street to take over the job with a week left in camp. And I would bet they have a much better feel for his ability to start than any of us.
touché

LOL.

the negative reaction here to Romo is exacatly what i'd expect after JJ traded two #1 for gallowaste or if he pulled a lil' danny and overpaid for a scrub like Volek.

soak in the goodness people :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:

Your point would be well taken, if the intent was to bring him in as a starter.

It is not so your reasoning is flawed.

Volek has proven that he can back up in the NFL. I can't see how that kind of aquisition would be a bad thing. I realize it would cost and that we probably won't do it but still, Volek represents something that we don't currently have on the team. Experience at backup.

wileedog

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Volek has proven that he can back up in the NFL. I can't see how that kind of aquisition would be a bad thing. I realize it would cost and that we probably won't do it but still, Volek represents something that we don't currently have on the team. Experience at backup.

What you are worried about is Bledsoe going down for long-term. If its just 3 or 4 games over the course of the season, then its the perfect opportunity to test ROmo and see if he is the starter for next year and beyond. You have to do it at some point, we just gave him $3M to try out. Romo has also been in our system for 4 years while Volek will be coming in cold.

If its long-term, then this backup vs. starter stuff is irrelevant, because for all intents and purposes Volek will be the starter if we signed him, and Tennessee is happy to let him walk away from that role.

Woods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

ABQ, I agree with a lot of your points.

In live regular season action, Romo is an uncertainty at this point. However, at some point BP has to decide if Romo is at least a capable number 2 guy or not. I'd guess that BP thought at Romo is potentially as good as (if not better than) most of the FA QBs available this year.

I'd have to guess that BP (and the coaching staff - Ireland at least) has an opinion of guys like Volek, etc. vs. Romo. I suppose BP is going to take the plunge.

As for impulse throws, I agree with you that Romo has had a history of making those in pre-season games. BP has alluded to that on numerous occasions. But I'd hope that as Romo matures, he will improve on his decision making. As expected, IMO Romo has already shown improvement with respect to impulse decision making over the past couple of seasons.

It's difficult to know what we have in Romo, but I think the coaching staff is willing to give it a go. Let's hope that their judgement is correct.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY, it is true Romo has not taken a reg season snap but sooner or later like any QB he will have to, we are not keeping him here for nothing. As a backup if he is forced into action Dallas will have to rely on the fact that he has progressed over the time he has been here and he will have to go out there and prove himself just like any other QB. Myself I think he has shown that he can come in and run the offense if need be.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:
What you are worried about is Bledsoe going down for long-term. If its just 3 or 4 games over the course of the season, then its the perfect opportunity to test ROmo and see if he is the starter for next year and beyond. You have to do it at some point, we just gave him $3M to try out. Romo has also been in our system for 4 years while Volek will be coming in cold.

If its long-term, then this backup vs. starter stuff is irrelevant, because for all intents and purposes Volek will be the starter if we signed him, and Tennessee is happy to let him walk away from that role.

I don't really need to test him and see if he is the starter in a 3 to 4 game situation. I already believe he is probably our long term starter. In fact, if it were not for the odd pass that he seems to just up and throw that makes me shake my head and ask my self why, I would say that he could be our starter right now.

The saddest part of these discussions, for me, is that it always boils down to agenda. I will tell you that I am very impressed with what I've seen out of Romo this past TC. He has shown me things that I had no idea he was capable of. Having said that, I am a huge believe in TO ratio. I just believe that the guy who doesn't turn the ball over is going to win the majority of the time in the NFL. The ability to make good sound decisions is something that I value more then anything else. More then the 300 yards a game or the 3 TDs a game, I value that more. Romo has not outgrown the desire to make big things happen yet. I don't believe he has come to the conclusion that often, the pass not thrown is the better option. I understand this and I just think it's a process of maturity. I suspect Romo will learn it and if he does, he could be an unbelievable QB. To me, this is what makes Brady great. I am not saying Romo is Brady or will be but I think he could be a QB much like Brady if he could just be a bit better in his decision making process. I have high hopes for Romo but not at the expense of a possible championship run now. Bledsoe is our starter. In our division, a three game experiment with a player like Romo that does not work out could easily cost us the division and or a wild card. I believe our division is that close. Romo may well be a guy who can come in and win 2 or three games for us if Bledsoe goes down but he could also lose us those games. We don't know. I just would like it if we had some NFL game experience on the roster. A proven back up, if you will.

hailvictory

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Since the last 2 numbers aren't commonly discussed, just to give you a barometer ...

Yards Per Attempt last season...
Manning - 8.27
Palmer - 7.53
Brady - 7.75

INT:Attempt Ratio last season ...
Manning - .022
Palmer - .024
Brady - .026
:lmao2:no....:lmao: wait, really are you attempting to compare the BACKUP to the three best qbs in the league? i don't care why you are doing this or what your point is, but thank you :laugh2: ...i needed that.

here's to letting the real season start(the one that counts).

ddh33

Reaction score
I get the feeling here that some people would rather Romo fail just so they can be right. Guess what? I don't think it's happening.

Romo has been very impressive. He's done everything that has been asked of him, and he has the league buzzing with his ability. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Romo is showing himself to be the future starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

I'll be the first to admit that Romo hasn't been flawless. He's made some mistakes. Every QB does. What I find surprising is how many people seem to think he's making more mistakes than most. In truth, he's making very few mistakes on the field while making a lot of good things happen for his team.